Thread: Procedure for installing the action into the stock

Procedure for installing the action into the stock

I got a new b/c tactical stock and was wondering if there is a certain way to go about installing it. Is there a procedure for tightening the action screws? Is 30in/lbs the right torque? Thanks for the info.

docsleepy

Re: Procedure for installing the action into the stock

can't tell you anything about that specific stock, but usually you want to be sure the recoil lug is snug against what is BEHIND it. So you hold the rifle vertically and alternately tighten the screws. 30 in lbs is reasonable. Some people do a lot of measuring how much the barrel moves with each tightenting. I just bed them so theere is just one place to go.

That is what i was doing just wanted to check. Just got the tang free floated and it centered up the barrel really nice. Was off to one side a bit. Now i have to get some bedding compound ordered and give it a go.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Scalian
    That is what i was doing just wanted to check. Just got the tang free floated and it centered up the barrel really nice. Was off to one side a bit. Now i have to get some bedding compound ordered and give it a go.
    Devcon Steel Putty is all I ever use anymore. I have tried a lot of different two part epoxies and Devcon worked so well I never tried anything else. I have also been told Marinetex is another good one but I have never used it so I can't comment on it personally. I will say stay away from JB Weld and similar stuff. It tends to run into places you don't want it as well as it has always been really brittle the few times I tried it. The best part about the Devcon is that is stays where you put it because it is a thick consistency, about the same as peanut butter. Another thing is that is does dry hard but isn't brittle. For a release agent use Kiwi natural polish as a release agent, works great and I have never had a glue in.

Devcon is a little pricey at around $40 for the 1 pound kit. It is plenty for probably 6-8 rifles. There is plenty of people on here wanting to use it for a single gun and the cost for 1 gun keeps them from buying it. I bet you could buy the 1 pound, use what you need then sell the rest to another member here to recoup some of your cost.

Just my .02
    Dolomite

Basic Member

I agree w/ Dolomite. I just use devcon after using just about everything over the last 25 years on all sorts of builds. I feel its best. I had a prob. until I started using the Kiwi as Dol mentiones.

Can you get the Devcon at local hardware stores. Or is it something that has to be ordered online? I assume that since this stick has a aluminum bedding block that all i need to do is skim coat in the pillars and where the back of the recoil lug.

Basic Member

I have never found it at any local stores. You might try an industrial supply store locally but no chains stores carry the stuff.

Brownells sells it as does Midway.

Dolomite

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5A453?Pid=search

Is this the right stuff? There happens to be a Grainger about 2 min from my house.

docsleepy

yep, that is EXACTLY the devcon that I used on two rifles! I went and checked the number with the stuff I still have and it is the same number on the photo.