Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Model 11VT first impressions

Vietnam71

Model 11VT first impressions

I bought a 11VT .223 Black Friday for just under $500.00. Took her home and stripped her down and gave her a good cleaning. Fit and finish are quite good. She is a tad heavy but my 6'2" 230LB frame can handle her. I will be using the gun for target shooting. I took the Bushnell Sportsman off and added some Leupold Rings and a Mueller 8.5-25x50 Erraticator scope.

I plan to reload my own after purchasing dies but will be taking her through some paces at the range to start out with some Federal 69gr Sierra MatchKing BTHP hopefully next week. Based on my reading here and several other forums I have high expectations.

any advice or comments are gladly accepted.

Thanks for looking
    charlie

Basic Member
    I bet it shoots great I really like mine, same as yours but in 308, I replaced the package scope right away also

Vietnam71
    Put a trigger gauge on her yesterday. 10 tests 8= 2 1/2lbs. 2= 2 1/4lbs. Used an RCBS premium gauge.

nice crisp trigger.

Mach2
    It doesn't matter what a bench gun weighs. The heavier the better. Could you tell what rings were used? You can put that scope on a 22LR.
    What does the manual suggest for ammo? 69gr?
    That Mueller will be nice to target shoot with. Easy to spot the shots up to 200 yds. After that a spotting scope.
    Congrats on a new Savage. That's gotta be a kick. Not bad price either.

Vietnam71
    Mach2,

That is exactly what I did put the scope on a 10/22 build. The manual states it was tested with federal 69 grain sierra match king BTHP. So I bought a case to work with. I do plan on getting dies and working up my own loads ASAP. As far as rings I have always used Leupold rifleman. In this case needed high rings due to 50mm objective. They are not expensive and have always worked out well. I've discovered over the years that expensive doesn't always mean good.

I use the KISS method for everything I do. (Keep it simple)... When it comes to long distance I have a KOWA TSN-821 that will get out as far as I plan to shoot. I've been shooting since I was 12 on and off. Had some health issues the last two years but retired in May so I plan on shooting a couple times a week.

charlie

Mach2
    I recently got a Lee reloading kit but a friend told me 223 was troublesome to load for but I didn't ask why. The ammo used to be cheap but not anymore. I'm getting sub moa groups at 200 yds with store bought ammo with a 10 action. I'd like to load some 69gr stuff. I had in mind developing a round for hog and deer hunting with 223 since we can use 223 in SC.

BTW a friend gave me a set of Rifleman rings. They are as good as anything I've tried. They match the steel Warne rings which are about as tough as any ring made but the Riflemans are lighter aluminum and just as tough it seems.

I have never found the 223 hard to load for, it and the 308 are about the easiest 2 cal. to load for you will find. I have been loading since 1965 or there about and loaded for several guns in each cal.

Vietnam71
    bythebook,

thanks for the information....I've reloaded pistol for a long time just started rifle loading this year. Looks like you have a lot of experience. Any powder recommendation that has been a standout for you over the years? I know from my pistol loading you have to work and find out what works best in your firearm.

Basic Member
    The 11VT is a great value. I got my .308 for $449 on sale at DSG. After working up a handload, I have it shooting 1/2MOA at 100yds, and 1 MOA at 600. All I did was replace the scope & rings, then work the 168gr load.

You have a 1/9 twist in that rifle, and I bet you'll get your best results from a 69gr bullet.
    I shoot Varget in both my .223 & my 308 with excellent results. But a lot of guys like AR Comp, or similar powder. Back in my CMP days with an AR, I used AA2230 with incredible results.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

Vietnam71
    Texas solo,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm researching different loading manuals for suggested start and max loads. I hope to get the rifle to the range later this week or early next week. I have a 200rd case of federal 69gr sierra MatchKing BTHP to start me out. TargetSportsUSA shipped overnight free shipping no tax and very reasonable price. I plan on taking my time.

The rifle itself was built real well. The barrel is free float gave her the paper test and not touching at all. The fore stock is firm no movement from hand pressure. I had read some complaints about weak stock. Mine is not. The only thing left is to sit at the bench and see how she shoots.

The only thing I did notice is the magazine is sometimes hard to snap in place. I ordered a few extra mags from Cabelas to have on hand.

Have a great Christmas.....
    charlie

Quote Originally Posted by Vietnam71 View Post
    bythebook,

thanks for the information....I've reloaded pistol for a long time just started rifle loading this year. Looks like you have a lot of experience. Any powder recommendation that has been a standout for you over the years? I know from my pistol loading you have to work and find out what works best in your firearm.
    In 308 I have used a lot of IMR 4064 , I know a lot of loaders say it is more heat effected than Varget but it has always worked for me. In 223 I just started using Benchmark and I think it is going to be a winner, but it is early and availability is the deciding factor.

Basic Member
    Texas solo,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm researching different loading manuals for suggested start and max loads. I hope to get the rifle to the range later this week or early next week. I have a 200rd case of federal 69gr sierra MatchKing BTHP to start me out. TargetSportsUSA shipped overnight free shipping no tax and very reasonable price. I plan on taking my time.

The rifle itself was built real well. The barrel is free float gave her the paper test and not touching at all. The fore stock is firm no movement from hand pressure. I had read some complaints about weak stock. Mine is not. The only thing left is to sit at the bench and see how she shoots.

The only thing I did notice is the magazine is sometimes hard to snap in place. I ordered a few extra mags from Cabelas to have on hand.

Have a great Christmas.....
    charlie
    That Federal 69MK ammo is about the best factory ammo you can feed that rifle. Don't overheat the barrel during break in and that ammo will shoot sub MOA all day long.

I've yet to see an 11VT with a weak stock. I use a bipod on mine and it doesn't even come close to touching the barrel.

Yes, the mags are stiff. I found it a little easier to insert the mag with the rear end slightly ahead of the front, then just snap the front into place.

Lots of reloading recipies for .223. There's a million combinations that folks use, and a ton of info available about that cartridge. Good luck and have fun.

Vietnam71
    Texas Solo,

What Bi-Pod do you recommend? I have never used one before. I usually shoot off a rest. Is it something I should consider?

Basic Member
    If you are looking to shoot groups from a bench stick with a rest/rear bag setup for best results. If you are looking to do some prone shooting they are the way to go but require a certain technique/setup depending upon your application and or desires. If you want to try one out without sinking a lot of dough into one look at the Wal Mart Winchester, Shooters Ridge, Champion brands as they're all the same Harris knockoff. I wouldn't own a fixed aka non-swiveling one as the swivel feature allows much easier crosshairs leveling. I prefer a thumb style locking lever for the swivel as opposed to knurled knob as it allows a much tighter "lock." There is also the set screw style height adjustment as opposed to the legs with grooves and a spring loaded clip that snaps in as extended. Set screw allows more minute adjustment.

After the cheapies you are looking at a Harris and after that a Sinclair or Atlas or others for $$$.
    Last edited by Maztech89; 12-04-2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: Spelling.

Mach2
    Yea I agree. Bipods are no good off a bench compared to sand bags. They are for prairie dog hunting.

I am curious about cost. Can you load your own 69 gr stuff cheaper than 55 gr store bought stuff cost?

fyimo
    I only have 2 Savages and they are Model 14 American one in 308 and the other in 270 and they are both great shooters. So congratulations on buying your Savage VT in 223. I have a browning A bolt in 223 and I love shooting it and it's accurate also. I find the accutrigger once I got used to it to be great.

Vietnam71
    FYI MO, Texas Solo and Maztech89,

Most if not all shooting with this rifle will be from the bench. I either shoot off a front rest with bag or Lead Sled Solo. Thanks for all the good information on Bi-Pods. I looked up the Sinclair and they are not cheap but have very good reviews. I think my prone days are long gone but you never know. I'm glad I happened to bump into this forum since so many are willing to help a newbie out.

I have a lot of PMC 55gr left over from when I shot AR's. I just sold them off and I'm using the money to fund my current purchases. However I want to see what this rifle can do with match grade ammo first. NY just passed some real crappy laws and it was easier to just sell off the AR's. Hated to part with them but the sale brought new beginnings for me.

thanks for your feedback
    charlie

Vietnam71
    Mach2,

time me will tell if it worth the effort. I know from reloading pistol I have saved a lot of money over the years. Just starting rifle reloading this year. Besides still hard to get ammo where I live, too many hoarders. Flies off the shelf when it hits the stores. Most of the stores have jacked up their prices as well.

Basic Member
    My take on bipods is that different strokes for different folks. I use a Sinclair F Class most of the time, and I don't believe that any sandbag up front is better. It tracks straight back, sand bags don't always do that. I can use this bipod quite effectively from either prone or bench. Downside is it costs $250.
    I also use a Harris 6"-9" on ocassion. Just learn how to properly load the bipod and you can get good consistency with it.

Reloading isn't so much about saving money as it is about working the load for YOUR rifle. You can choose the bullet, powder ,primer, and seating depth which best suits YOUR rifle. There is a cost savings over quality factory ammo (about 50%), but to build good stuff at home is just as much, or more, than the cheap factory ammo. If you want accuracy, reload.

Vietnam71
    Texas Solo,

Good points made! Sinclair has the F class on sale right now for $199.99. I searched after my last post. I do get satisfied when I work up a good 45 load and shoot well with it. Same with my Muzzleloaders, finding the right load and sticking with it.

Your points are good ones. Thank You

Basic Member
    Your welcome. Check that $199 price from Sinclair....there are two different F Class bipods. One with and one without the adjustable elevation (talking micro adjust, not the legs). IIRC, the non adjustable one was $199. If you can get the adjustable model for $199, good deal.

Vietnam71
    This the model on sale for $199.99
    749-013-031WS
    Sinclair F-Class Bipod w/ Quick-Adjust Elevation Matte Black

Basic Member
    This the model on sale for $199.99
    749-013-031WS
    Sinclair F-Class Bipod w/ Quick-Adjust Elevation Matte Black
    Yup, that's the one I have, but I paid $50 more

JMitchell
    I just picked up a 11 VT in .308 at Dicks. I opened a DSG credit card to get an additional 10% off, and also used a rebate check I got from all my ammo purchases. I ended up getting the rifle for $478.00 out the door - tax, background check fee, everything. What a deal. The rifle is heavy but I intend to use it as a bench gun at the local range - so heavy is a plus. I compared the Savage barrel to my Ruger M77 VT .223 (Stainless bolt action with heavy barrel), and Ruger M77 VT .308 (older tang safety bolt action heavy barrel). The Savage 11 VT was clearly a heavier profile barrel than both those rifles. The finish on the savage looks good and even. The accutrigger is great out of the box, and needs no adjustment. I am going to swap out the scope it comes with for a Sightron SIII I have sitting in my safe. The stock that comes with it actually is kind of ok - it has a good recoil pad, nice shape, and two sling swivel studs. However, I will probably end up replacing it for something stiffer that won't flex with a bipod or in sandbags. So far I am feeling pretty good about this purchase.

Vietnam71
    JMitchell

good luck with the new .308.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast