Thread: 12 target action large shank? Bolt head?

Good

12 target action large shank? Bolt head?

Hello, can I get the target action setup for a large shank? I'm eyeballing a right bolt, left eject action for a future build.

One more, will the bolt head of the 110FCP .338 LM pin to a short action bolt?

Thanks for your help.

stangfish
    What barrel thread size is the action you are looking at
    I'm eyeballing a right bolt, left eject action for a future build.

Target Actions are strictly Large Shank....

No - the .338 LM will not pin to the short action bolt.
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

Good
    Quote Originally Posted by jhelmuth View Post

Then, is it possible to open the face up to accept that size brass head? I know Savage did it in the past with their Lazzeroni 16LZ rifles...

stangfish
    Exactly.

Unless you modify it. Not that hard really.

Basic Member
    You're not going to do something foolish like put a .338 Lapua barrel on a target action...are ya?
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Good
    No, just a little wildcatting. I've been toying with the idea of improving that aforementioned Lazzeroni Patriot with minimal body taper and 40* shoulder and I'm trying to figure out how to get the bolt head to work. I like the idea of the target action, large shank, left eject, etc, but that bolt head is the kicker. I figured if anyone knew how to do it you guys would be the ticket.

Over on Longrangehunting.com a guy has released the 6.5 Sherman Short Mag which keeping to the short action theme pretty much maxes out the .540 bolt face while still being able to eject a loaded round using the 160g Matrix 6.5 projectile and keeping a reasonable neck length.

I got to thinking about why stop at the .540 bolt face... Why not do the Lapua or big Weatherby bolt face and max that out. So I started asking around. A guy from New Zealand did something similar he named the 7mm Fatso and it has excellent ballistics, but I don't think it's a true short action round and the brass forming is HORRIBLE.

But, Mr. Lazzeroni did the same thing 19 or so years ago in his short mag offerings. Well, I think there's some hidden performance in the Lazz round that can be found by improving it. I'd like to improve the Patriot (30 cal) or Tomahawk (7mm) and really get the 230 bergers moving while keeping a relatively light and short rifle- sort of a no compromise-for all the marbles short action round.

The brass would just be Patriot brass fireformed. Simple as pie. So, anyway, just musing, but it's a very interesting thought. Once the calculations are done, even necked up to 338 (I forget what he calls that one) shooting the CE 252s with a G1 BC of 640 might be worth while. So how would a guy get the bolt face to take the big Weatherby cartridge in a short action?