Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many of you have actually needed to survive?

Basic Member

How many of you have actually needed to survive?

I was just thinking (which is usually a bad thing), I always hear reports that hunters are the highest risk group for getting lost and needing rescue. And hence, survive until that rescue, whether hours or days.

So, how many of you have gotten lost, injured, or whatever and either survived and found your way out or had to be rescued. It doesn't have to be some dramatic 2 week long survival story, I'm sure being lost for a couple hours in bad weather is more than enough to frighten most people.

As for me, I've been lucky and since I've always been like a Boy Scout and carry everything you can imagine, nothing too bad has cropped up yet.
    [b]A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire (1694-1778)[/b]

I have been in the woods and gone in circle several times. Usually the sun's position will get me out.

Now in the technogoly world, my GPS is always very close by! I have actually had more trouble in the swamps getting lost as every part of the flat's look the same! Spare batteries are always carried with my GPS, if it went out, I would be in trouble.

South Louisiana is pretty easy to get around. I have been in the mountains several times and I can see getting lost there would be a "big" problem.

Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    For the past few weekends the lil' woman & I take a few of the grandkids out into the swamps. When we're about a mile from "home plate" we set up our camp area, set up tents, make fire without a Bic, read a compass, tell direction from sun & stars, even simulate injuries & first aid. Imagine a couple of 10 year olds dragging my 200lb butt by my pack straps & making a splint from sticks & rope....

A great time had by all.

To answer your question about actually getting lost, I make it a point to NOT get lost. Although I did once which was enough to convince me to not do it again. 1976 - Long Island, NY. Walked around for hours before I realized I truly was going in a circle. Did I feel like a gold plated butt nugget when the conservation officer found me & led me to a road - 8 minutes away.
    The objective with the grandkids is to teach them to not be stoopid & get lost (like pappy did)...

PS - Has this thread always been here?...
    Last edited by fgw_in_fla; 12-02-2013 at 01:26 PM.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Basic Member
    I used to bow hunt a management area an hour from my house, the stand I was sitting in was about 1/4 mile from the parking lot about 100 yds in the woods from the edge of a feild, I realy was not worried about getting lost with such an easy path in and out of the woods. well, in the bluff country I was in on this night the fog rolled in so thick I could barely see 5 or ten feet, I could not see far enouggh in the woods to go in a straight line in any direction, ended up lost for sevral hours, could have been worse but I stumbled on another hunters empty stand I happened to see on my way in, then I knew where I was and I was going the complete wrong direction

I've been a fearsome confused for a month or two but never lost!

kelly
    YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID !

One of the main reasons people get lost is when they are moving forward they never stop, turn around and look at what things will look like on the way out. Believe me it helps!

thomae
    Being a Boy Scout and a Scout leader, and priding myself on being prepared, the only time I really got lost was when I took my kids and 2 nephews on a hike up a local mountain. It's an easy walk, uphill for a half hour, then a circular path around the top and then back down. The only problem was that i started down on the opposite side of the mountain. We walked and walked, and I knew we couldn't be too far from civilization, but I soon realized that we were not where we (I) thought we were supposed to be. Finally we came upon a house and knocked and asked for some water and asked where we were. The owner was kind and didn't laugh too hard, and when he explained where we were, I called my wife to come and get us and drive us back to where my car was parked. All in all, not the dangerous kind of being lost, but as one of my bosses used to say, "How embarrassing!"

Thomae when I was a scout there was an old saying " You are never lost, you are always somewhere." I guess it is not used anymore.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

thomae
    Well, I have certainly taken my share of wrong turns when driving, but other than my story, I have never been lost. Even as a airplane navigator, even though I was not always "where I wanted to be," I was never lost. Walking through the woods with the children, I knew that I was no more than a few miles from where I wanted to be, but I really had no idea where I was until the guy in the house told me. If I had brought a compass, it would not have happened. That experience really reinforced my "be prepared" mentality and my not taking anything for granted.

Basic Member
    I've been "misplaced" a few times, but never lost!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    I've been "misplaced" a few times, but never lost!

That was good.

Almost spit coffee on the laptop.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    That was good.

Almost spit coffee on the laptop.
    I try! My wife is terrified of getting lost, so whenever we are off the beaten path I've told her that we were just misplaced. If you know which way you're facing, have a map, have gas in the tank, and food, water and what not... You're not lost... Just misplaced!

Basic Member
    October 24th, 1992.

9:00 PM

30 degrees. Rain.

I and my best hunting hunting buddy headed into a large, dark cedar swamp in northwest Michigan to find and retrieve my bow-shot doe...

I knew exactly where I was going and where the deer was (at most, it was 300 yards into the swamp along a spotty trail), so I did not even think to bring a compass, or a decent jacket. Our plan was to get the deer, gut her and drag her outta the woods, and be back to camp within the hour.

40 minutes later we were soaking wet, cold and lost. All we knew for sure was that if we walked in any direction but east, we would be headed for miles of nothing but more tangled dead-fall, water and trouble. Fortunately, we had a lighter and a Coleman lantern with about a half tank of fuel. We had all we could do to find a small patch of dry highland and start a fire. To keep it burning, it had to be pretty big, 'cuz we were literally pulling logs out of standing water and laying them across the fire so they might dry and eventually burn.

Didn't get a lot of sleep that night, but we were plenty warm, if not dry, as we huddled around it, listening to the coyotes yipping and whining as they feasted on my deer carcass somewhere way beyond us in the pitch-black darkness of the swamp.

Once the sun came up, we headed east and were back to camp in about 20 minutes. :)

Oh, well.

That Christmas, my stocking was packed-full of cheap, $2 compasses from Walmart!

One smart-a** brother-in-law has gotten me a new compass every year since. :)

I live in the flat-lands of NW Ohio and most woodlots around here are under 200 acres in size so it's kinda hard to get lost in them. Only times I've ever really gotten confused or felt lost was when riding around in the mountains on roads that constantly twist and turn back around until I have no clue which direction I'm headed anymore. I have to admit though, those usually end up being my most memorable days on the motorcycle - unless it involves running out of gas as a result, that just sucks!
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Not myself or family,BUT several years ago my fanily were hunting in a new area and a 10 year old kid walked up to me and asked if i had a cell phone as he had lost track of his Grandfather's tree stand was cold and wet so used the cell phone to call his father at home to come and get him.
    Come to find out that his Grandfather had had a heart problem and if his father hadn't been called as he knew were the grandfathers tree stand was it could have been much worse for him.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    I try! My wife is terrified of getting lost, so whenever we are off the beaten path I've told her that we were just misplaced. If you know which way you're facing, have a map, have gas in the tank, and food, water and what not... You're not lost... Just misplaced!

Gotta love the redneck woman I'm married to. She will usually take point when we hike/ hunt. Always knows which direction we're headed & where we came from. I was pretty impressed when she was showing one of the grandkids how to navigate by the sun & stars.
    One of these days I hope to teach her about wearing shoes.

stangfish
    I survived 30 years of insane backwoods in-laws. Aggregate IQ of 71 between the three of them. There can be no misadventure like that experience. There is no way my wife came from their loins.

Basic Member
    Sounds like my 'ol lady's family. If I didn't know better I'd swear they're a bunch of inbreeds.

My brother-in-law has his own language. They understand him fine. I have no idea what he's saying 2/3's of the time.

Me and a buddy did a 4 day three night "survival" trip a long time ago. It was squirrel season and we thought we would catch enough fish and shoot squirrels to eat. Caught like two fish and got 2-3 squirrels per day. We were very hungry and to make it more realistic we didn't even bring beer. Big mistake!

I have lived like an animal for long periods of time in the Army, but only about twice did it get close to where we thought we would really be in trouble with supplies.

Navigation
    Many years ago, I was lost while hunting in northern Maine. I was 16, and decided to hike out about 6 miles from camp. I had a compass, and a map (not a topo) of the few roads up that way...and headed into the logging country, with a knife, map and compass, canteen and Winchester 30-30 and a box of shells, and a Smith a Wesson model 15 loaded with no extra 38s on me.
    I had been taught to dead recon by my Step Dad who was a Ranger in the Army, and thought I would be OK. It didn't really dawn on me, that I had walked to a few to many clear cuts that all looked the same, and that I had gotten turned around. In my defense, I saw a small herd of deer, at a distance to far for my open sights, and got really excited.
    Well, I had to walk due east for the rest of the day, I eventually came out on a small highway, 12 miles from hunting camp, and was picked up by another hunter, given a ride home...he said I did good for just being a kid, and that if I had walked the other way, I would had never been found...LOL. I was pretty mad at myself, and started studying land navigation after that...but I never got as good as I should have been until I went into the Army myself. I love topo maps...and nice warm days in the woods..good stuff.

Westcliffe01
    My wife and I generally make an annual trip to the UP and stay at the Muskalongue state park. For years there was an outfitter operation near the mouth of the Two Hearted river called Rainbow Lodge. It used to be that if you took any logging trail anywhere you would sooner or later find a Rainbow Lodge sign which would provide directions back to the state road, which way to the Lodge (and distances) or to the state park etc.

A bit more than a year ago, one of the many brush fires in the area ran right through the lodge area and it was totally destroyed. I assume it was not insured for fire and has not been rebuilt. What I did not know, and "discovered" was that "someone" had removed every Rainbow lodge sign from the entire area. Essentially, this removed about 99% of signs except for ATV trail route markers.

Having explored the area extensively over years, we decided to see what had happened to Rainbow Lodge and possibly take some sunset pictures on the beach at the Two hearted river. We must have left at about 5pm, and thought we had plenty of time before sunset at about 9:30pm.... First of many assumptions.. Long story short, we could not find our way to the lodge site, since all the signs were gone. The only signposted item was the Crisp Point lighthouse, so after hours of searching we headed there. It is a very remote location down a very bad road.. Got there just before sunset, took some pictures and then decided to head back. BUT, unlike times past, there was no sign whatsoever directing traffic back to the county road. I had set a waypoint for the intersection we had turned off the county road, so I just had the GPS navigate back to that waypoint., What I did NOT realize was that my expensive Garmin was treating ATV trails as equal to roads and even displayed them the same. To see the minor roads you needed to be zoomed all the way in, which then gave you no situational awareness. If you zoomed out, zou could see no roads/trails whatsoever. Anyway, we realized that we were in trouble when the "road" we were on suddenly narrowed to about 6ft wide and the truck mirrors were wider than the trail markers.

So we figured that all we had to do was head south and sooner or later we would hit the county road (there is only one). The problem was that we had managed to get on the "wrong" side of the 2 hearted river gorge so every southern track petered out before you would find yourself plunging down into the river washout. Finally we figured that out so we had to head east to try to find a way across the river. The trails ran through thick sand, side slopes and I was afraid that if this was combined with some woods that we would get truly stuck. I was driving a 4wd F250, not made for ATV trails. Finally by a total fluke we crossed a road that we knew and was able to follow it south to get back to our original waypoint. We got back to camp just before midnight with just a few gal of fuel remaining in the tanks. The area we had been in had no cell phone service and does have black bear, wolves and coyotes. I did have my 1911, but my wife and grand daughter were not up for walking ATV trails at night with critters on the fringes.

This happened in mid summer, but I could see how if this had been Nov/Dec and add some snow, it could quickly have become a life threatening situation. In times past, with the logistical support of the lodge (fuel, food etc) we would have been discovered by ATV trail riders the next day, but now that fuel is a few hours away, who knows when someone would have passed by ?

In August I went exploring in Colorado and I made sure to take along an old aviation GPS which has a "track" function. The "roads" that I used are not to be found on any road type GPS and were not even on the topo map that I had with me, so by carefully using the track function, I was able to document the roads that were there and could follow them back (back tracking) to get back to where my truck was parked. I was using a Kubota RTV 500 and it was perfect for the terrain (steep, rocky, loose surface). I had no issues that trip.

Trickrick
    Several years ago a buddy and I were out scouting for deer when we went off in a very unexpected direction.
    When we thought that we were about to come up on the road we came in on we topped the hill to nowhere!
    A storm was coming in and took away our sun and for awhile I was "miss placed" neither of us we prepared to spend the night in the woods especially with the weather getting colder by the hour.
    after what seemed like hours(a couple) we were able to get ourselves out to a road only to find out that we were about 5 miles from where we went in.
    Since that day I am ALWAYS prepared to to "survive" and or find my way out.
    Neither my buddy or myself ever admitted to being scared that day, but I know that I was.
    be prepared gentlemen, and hope that you never face it.

soutthpaw
    Highly recommend a portable solar charger when heading out to the back country. Also printing off some topo maps and carrying a good ol compass is always a fine idea. (oh yeah, learn how to use a map a compass too)

Spent the night in Green Swamp here in Florida. Not really parimount survival, but sucked nonetheless. Made it out the next morning. Not real happy with my buddy who just figured I was late getting out of stand and left. GPS died and I had left my compass in the truck. not sure how much swamp time you guys have but a TOPO is useless here in FL. Trail map and a good compass is required, GPS is nice but batteries die and such.
    [QUOTE=fgw_in_fla;256183]We told you so...[/QUOTE]

Basic Member
    I got stuck out in a blizzard for 16 hours back in Feb 2011. Of course, I was in my car and new right where I was (9 miles from home, and stuck out with about a dozen other drivers). Worst part was that my car wasn't actually stuck, we just couldn't get around a few cars that were, and there was no way to turnaround.

Between being a scout, and having my Mom constantly reminding me to be prepared, I always keep a bag with supplies, extra clothes, blankets and such in my trunk, so I was toasty warm all night. Just had to get out and keep the snow from blocking the tailpipe every now and then. Only used about an eighth of a tank of gas for the night (cycled between running and not). Couple buddies came out on snowmobiles and picked me up the next morning. My car was stuck out there for another day and a half.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast