Hey all! First off, I have a 112 in .300 Win Mag and out of the box the accuracy scared the **** out of me. Starting with reloads made from virgin brass I was getting 1-1/4 to 1-1/2" groups at 250 yards. Calm day, nice weather and sand bags. Neck sized only cases and the groups got as good as 5/8" at 250 yards. My question is.....what is the fps you want, to have both accuracy with the 190 grain Sierra MK BTHP bullet and long life for your barrel? I know that friction from a faster bullet isn't what wears your rifling away, rather it's the intense heat generated from the burning powder that does. I have the fluted SS barrel with less than 50 rounds through it. My chrony must be screwed up cause yesterday, nice weather, it averaged 2750 fps and today, same weather, same batch of shells, I got 3100 fps...???? Completely confused here but I can figure out what happened when I borrow my buddies chrony and try some more shells. I've reloaded for 30 years now and know most of the tricks to the trade and am now getting into the long range (1000) yard stuff and am trying to configure something out that shoots accurate, is longevity enhanced, and a fit for long range. Is 3100 fps too fast/hot? It's ****ed sure accurate but I don't want to be rebarreling my rifle every year. My load is 88 grains of AA8700, RP brass neck sized only, Federal Gold Medal Mag primer and the above bullet. Compressed load 2 grains over max. Common sense tells me with the above accuracy, who gives a **** what the fps is.

Any and all help is appreciated. Wise assed remarks accepted too. :)

Jim