Thread: Bedding a HS stock

Basic Member

Bedding a HS stock

Guys,
    I thought I read somewhere that it wasnt necessary or recommended that we glass bed a stock that had aluminum blocks in the stock where the action sits. Is that true? I would like to skim coat my HS 2000 DBM stock but maybe I dont need to.

Basic Member
    I would try your gun out first before you bed it two guns I have with alum. bedding blocks shoot very good without being bedded .25 or better at 100yds. You might just bed the recoil lug if you want to bed any part.

Basic Member
    Good plan. I had thought about doing the recoil lug and hoped that might be enough. There's a guy from New Zealand that wrote a good book about rifles and he suggests not bedding on top of aluminum.

bodywerks
    Bedding is fine to do on the hs stocks. Just need to rough up the bedding block, really well. I used a small ball rotary file on my dremel. Remove material everywhere except around the base of the two action screw holes. Here's my HS precision bedded:

While bedding an HS is probably fine (as long as you don't screw it up), you will not see any better performance from it. The HS is fine as is (and if it's not, then send it back and have them fix it - they do not need glass bedding).

LRPut... you are on the right track.
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

Basic Member
    I went back and read that article again an it suggested that when you bed a stock with an aluminum skeleton that you bed it thicker and use a bedding compound that has some metal components in the epoxy mix.

Basic Member
    Although I've done it, I'm really not a fan of bedding stocks like the HS and a few of the other aluminum block stocks. Unless there's an obvious fitment issue, usually indicated by uneven wear marks on the stock and action after 100rds or so, I usually just install, expect/get good groups, and live happily ever after.

When I did try it, I just roughed up the aluminum with sandpaper and skim-bedded with Devcon. But, as I noted, I couldn't see any benefit to doing it, so I don't any more.
    [b]A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire (1694-1778)[/b]