Thread: SWFA SS or Primary Arms 4-14 FFP

evangorp

SWFA SS or Primary Arms 4-14 FFP

New guy looking for some opinions. I am looking to put a scope on my bolt action 22, and am torn between the SWFA line of fixed scopes or the Primary Arms 4-14 FFP. Have heard nothing but good things about both, but can't decide which way to go. I was thinking either a 12 or 16 fixed in the SWFA, but kind of want to do business with Primary Arms. I guess my question is which route would you all take given the opportunity. Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Basic Member
    I've never owned the Primary Arms, so I can't comment there. On the other hand, I've had 3 SWFA SS (Super Snipers) and still have two of them. I haven't had a problem with them, think they're a great buy for the money, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another if I needed one.
    [b]A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire (1694-1778)[/b]

I went with the PA 4-14 FFP, it'll be here tomorrow. I wanted a variable power scope, since the rifle is used for more than just bench shooting. I'm not sure you could go wrong with either scope though. Both have stellar reviews and for the price would be hard to beat. I would look at the Vortex line also.

I'm selling a BSA 4-14x FFP, which is pretty much a kissing cousin to the Primary Arms and Falcon Menance 4-14 models.

Lots of folks think BSA is junk, and my own experience with a Sweet 17 confirms that...but the BSA 4-14x FFP is a pretty solid optic with lots of features at the pricepoint. Its glass compares favorably with my Weaver GS Tactical 3-10x up to 10x, above 11x there is a little haziness and chromatic aberration but nothing remotely prohibitive to shooting small groups. Worst part IMO are the knobs lack a good tactile feel and loudly audible 'click' when making adjustments; its there, but not remotely as much feedback as other scopes (like the Weaver or SWFA fixed powers). The reticle is very nice - great way to try mil/mil FFP for little cash.

That said, given the sale SWFA has going on through Cyber Monday, the 12x42 MRAD is a tough deal to pass on.

Basic Member
    I have a SWFA SS 12x42 with the mil-quad reticle. If you are shooting long range and on a budget you just can't get a better combination. I was able to consistently keep rounds on a 6in steel plate at 887yds. The larger steel plates are to easy. I think I will do all my shooting with this combination until I finally invest in one of their variable scopes.

stangfish
    Your requirments for a 22 are less demanding than for a larger caliber with respect to recoil. The SWFA could be placed on a 300 win mag(or bigger) if you wanted to do so. If it will never leave your 22, pay 15 dollars to sign up and pm boiler up about that scope.

SWFA SS or Primary Arms 4-14 FFP

My scope actually sold on the Hide a lil bit ago...

evangorp
    Thanks for the replies, I believe I am going to get the SWFA 12x. After reading everything I have, I believe for the current price it just can't be beat. Also you guys have me intrigued by the Axis line so I can always use it there down the road.

Basic Member
    The Axis is a great build rifle. Here's my long range rig I mentioned above.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Which ss scope are we taking about, can someone please provide a link

PA will serve you well up to .308 recoil.
    Using Tapatalk

badmutha6
    I am running the PA FFP scope on my HH in 308. I'll confess that I'm new to the milling/LR shooting thing and am trying to become more serious about it. My rifle shoots well and holds zero. I have about 200 rounds through it with zero issues and that includes dialing for elevation etc. I was hitting a good group on a steel gong at 600 and was hitting a steel plate at 800. The zero resets when I dial and I'm very happy with it. I have no complaints other than I wish they offered the exact same scope in a 24x. Best of luck bro, they make decent stuff. I'd love a Viper PST FFP but thats a grand I don't have right now but this scope gets me by until I do.