Thread: Got my first whitetail this year

Basic Member

Got my first whitetail this year

The last time I went deer hunting was when I was 14(back before I could control my adhd 15yrs ago) I had also gone when I was 13 with my dad both times. Well fast forward to this season I thought I would give it another try since I am a little more patient now that I'm 29.
    Things didn't start out good. Opening day for gun season I seen 3 but never had a shot or a chance of a shot however the second Saturday I got up in a tree about 20-25ft and sat there for almost 2hrs at that point I was getting cold and cramped so I stood up in the tree and hung my gun on a limb. While stretching I looked to my left and there was a doe about 120-130yds away. I grabbed for my gun and went to shoulder it but there was a limb in my way so I swapped sides and shouldered it on my weak side (left) and took a shot. She ran off as if I missed completely. I got down out of the tree and went to where she was when I shot. There was no blood at all. I started walking in the area she ran to. After about 100yds with no blood or anything I decided I must have missed and turned back to my tree. I seen something white which I thought was some trash but I walked to it and there she was no blood on her hair but a pool of blood out of her mouth and deader than a door nail. She weighted about 150lbs not field dressed. Just thought I'd show my experience.

I was using my Savage 110e .270 that I refinished myself topped with an ironsighter one piece base, low Burris Zee rings and a 3-9x40 Leupold VX-I

My dad got a 5pt half rack 20mins before with his Savage 110 30-06

Last edited by futurerider103; 12-03-2013 at 07:22 PM.

OFish
    Good shooting! And nice rifle!

Werewolf
    I like that stock! Congrats on a fine doe! I commend you for checking up on your shot and not just giving up.

Biggred191
    Nice! My dad and I tore them up this past weekend with our savages as well. This is only my second year hunting and I was concerned that I might have to make a left handed shot while in the woods. Well done!

Beekeeper
    Years ago I put a 12 gauge slug through a huge doe that was about 125 yards away. It hit her high in the ribcage through the lungs, but she left no blood trail. She ran out of the woods and into a very brushy field as if she wasn't hit. I couldn't see how I had missed her so I spent about an hour looking for a downed deer with no luck. I gave up thinking I had missed and was walking back from the direction I had come when I found her. I was barely able to see her hiding spot under some blackberry brambles, and just go lucky in locating her.

Gorgeous stock. congrats on the deer.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

nice job on getting the deer, and most importantly, doing everything possible to see if you hit it.

Once getting to the deer did you find your shot placement? When you said no blood i was thinking maybe a head or neck shot.

Love the stock on your rifle too!
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member
    I shoot her on the spine near the shoulder in her right side

Nice stock work and a nice doe.

Basic Member
    Congrats. That lack of blood problem happens when you hit them a little high. You still hit the lungs and get a clean kill, but the bullet wounds are not low enough to let the blood out.

Basic Member
    Very nice stock!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats on the deer also.
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

Team Savage
    congrats

wlleven
    Ok, Ok ....... where did you get the stock, it is very, very nice !

wll

Basic Member
    Thank you all and if the gun gets any more complements it's head is going to get huge. The stock is factory but I've refinished it
    Before

After

Somewhere I'm the middle bare wood no stain or lacquer
    Last edited by futurerider103; 12-03-2013 at 10:32 PM.