Thread: M110 in 223 WITH NO MAG CUT OUT-WHAT DO I HAVE???

M110 in 223 WITH NO MAG CUT OUT-WHAT DO I HAVE???

I was cruising a local pawn shop today and found a M110 in 223. I can't seem to pass one of these up so it came home with me to add to the collection. What was different about this one is there is no mag cut out in the action and of course no mag. A shallow trough was milled out at the factory that goes about half way through the bottom of the action. You lay the catridge in the trough or slot. It is definitely a single shot rifle. I like the idea but haven't seen this before in a standard factory action. I'm pretty sure it's not some type of target action and it is a savage blued action. When I took everything apart I could tell the rifle had never been apart nor shot very much. The barrel was a savage 26" long 1-12 twist in a sporter profile. My question is how common are these type actions and are they really any better than a regular action with a mag? Not asking what it's worth as I'm not interested in selling it. Just want to know if I have something special here.

Thanks,,,,Floyd

stangfish
    Sharpshooter...???

I'm thinking so....

What kind of stock was on it? Savage used to make a single shot varmint rifle with a laminated wood stock. It was very similar to the BVSS.

Basic Member
    From 1989 to 98, all 110-112's were long action. Single shot versions could be had in many calibers on the varmint models. I've never seen a single shot receiver with a 26" sporter barrel in .223, though. As a matter of fact I never seen any factory sporter barrels longer than 24". A pic and serial# would help.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

what is the action screw spacing measurement? Could possibly be an intermediate action(4.522" spacing). They were Savages first attempt at a short action, and they made single shot intermediate short actions(still with the three-digit designation) for the varmint calibers.

Whether it is an intermediate action or a true long action, they are nice actions to build off of. Especially if its a long action.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

I'll get the serial number tonite. The stock is a savage Tupperware. I didn't measure the screw spacing. Didn't even think that could be different. I'll do that tonite. I didn't measure the barrel. I have a shaw that I think is 26" I was going to put on it. I put the savage barrel up to the shaw and it was the same length. I am relying on memory that the shaw as 26" and memory fails me more than not anymore. It may be 24. I'll check that tonite also.

Are these pretty rare? I'd like to find another one if possible. I convert all my rifles over to single shot anyway so I don't have to chase the brass.

Thanks for your help....Floyd

Floyd I got a deal on one of these about 6 months ago in 22-250. Mine is a true long action with a 26 inch heavy varmint, the action is extremely smooth and it has a syn. stock.

Basic Member
    I have a model 12 FV-S single shot action made in 2004. Mine sounds like the same type of action as the OP'er.

Mach2
    https://store.savagearms.com/partfinder/

Key in your ser # here. It will spit out the model.

Quote Originally Posted by Mach2 View Post
    https://store.savagearms.com/partfinder/

Key in your ser # here. It will spit out the model.
    Only if it's 1995 or newer.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Serial number is F491XXX and part finder doesn't work for numbers this low. Barrel is 24" and sporter profile. Action screw spacing is 5.062. I'm happy with it. Thanks to everyone for the help.

Floyd

I found one here at a lgs in 220 swift. Was told they are sought after. Didn't buy it though.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?