Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cracked bolt

Pazzoco

Cracked bolt

Basic Member
    Wow, I would think that shouldn't happen. Like ever, under any circumstance. Seems like you would have stuck casings and even worse signs of over pressure before that would happen.

Pazzoco
    I have an FCP-K in left hand .308, and my bolt has cracked right in line with the extractor groove in the bolt face. Wondering if this is a common occurrence, and if so, how does it happen? Also, does anyone know where to get a good quality aftermarket bolt assembly? Thanks

Pazzoco
    Yeah, that's what I figured. Not sure how it happened

Basic Member

[1] I do believe that Savage would replace the free of charge
    [2] PTG does make good stuff and I wouldn't see why their bolt head would be any different
    [3] No... I have never seen (or heard) of this happening
    [4] Should also be able to find a used replacement fairly cheap (if you don't want to go through the trouble of contacting Savage for a replacement).

What was the circumstance and conditions that this happened? (just highly curious)
    I suppose there is always a remote possibility that bolt heads could be defective (have no idea of what QA Savage goes through on them, but would figure they don't just let 'em all through ether...)
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

Pazzoco
    I have no idea how it happened...I was breaking in my barrel, and I just finished getting this .29" group at 100 yards, and I noticed it was cracked when I removed the bolt for cleaning after my last shell.

Pazzoco
    I contacted my dealer, and they said they'd send it out, but it would probably be a couple months before I got it back. I'm just considering buying an aftermarket one because it would be much quicker.

stangfish
    Call them and ask them directly. Do not go through the dealer in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Call them and ask them directly. Do not go through the dealer in my opinion.
    +1.... stang is right on - call Savage directly. I would not be surprised if they sent you out a part right away via 2nd day service.
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

Quote Originally Posted by jhelmuth View Post
    +1.... stang is right on - call Savage directly. I would not be surprised if they sent you out a part right away via 2nd day service.
    That is right I would definately call Savage as the others said I would be surprised if they didn't send you a free one. I have never seen this happen either.

Navigation
    Nice group by the way! Sorry to see your bolt like that..even the best products can have one or two lemons..

Basic Member
    It might be cheaper to ship it back to Savage, unless you have the tools to head space already. If it's under warranty, they will fix it free, as well as give you a return shipping label.

Quote Originally Posted by RP12 View Post
    It might be cheaper to ship it back to Savage, unless you have the tools to head space already. If it's under warranty, they will fix it free, as well as give you a return shipping label.
    +1.....
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Pazzoco
    I should be able to just ship them the bolt and have them replace it, hopefully... I'm going to call savage on Monday, see what they say. And thanks, Navigation.

Basic Member
    That bolt head was defective to start with. I've never seen one crack like that even with a massive overload.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Pazzoco
    That's one of the reasons I was so confused...I'm using 147 grain lake city surplus XM80C ammo. Not a hot load by any means.

Basic Member
    Just buy a new one from any of several aftermarket vendors and be done with it. They are not a lot of dough. Heck, you could order it tonight and have it installed and ready to go early next week.

Pazzoco
    That's what I figure. I'm going to get a timeline from savage first though. Plus I've never done head spacing before

wlleven
    Quote Originally Posted by Pazzoco View Post
    I have an FCP-K in left hand .308, and my bolt has cracked right in line with the extractor groove in the bolt face. Wondering if this is a common occurrence, and if so, how does it happen? Also, does anyone know where to get a good quality aftermarket bolt assembly? Thanks
    Call Savage, and speak to Effie, if need be send pics or bolt back 2 day mail .... I'm sure Savage would like to see this and correct it right away.

Be sure to include your load data so they know you were not hot rodding it.

wll

Pazzoco
    Should I just be calling the customer service number on the site? Or is there a quicker number? Thanks

pitsnipe
    Quote Originally Posted by Pazzoco View Post
    That's one of the reasons I was so confused...I'm using 147 grain lake city surplus XM80C ammo. Not a hot load by any means.
    Did you mean 47 grains? And, are you shipping the rifle to them? BTW, I was there (Savage factory) on the 27th. Very impressive display of their history in the lobby.

Snipe

Pazzoco
    No, I mean 147...it's a .308, not a .223. And I wish I could go to the savage factory, that would be incredible...stuck in northern Ontario though

Pazzoco
    And yes, I'm shipping the rifle to them

I was going to say, you need to send in the whole rifle, not just the bolt, because they might need to adjust the headspace with the replacement bolt head.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast