Thread: Change Savage BVSS Pillars when Glass-Bedding Rifle?

Basic Member

Change Savage BVSS Pillars when Glass-Bedding Rifle?

Getting stuff together to epoxy-bed rifle. Stocky's has nice kits at very sensible price which either include or skip the pillars. Savage stock already has little metal pillars in them but Stocky's kit can supply much "beefier", aluminum, radius-topped pillars.

I do like the fact that they are radiused to provide more complete contact with action...

Any thoughts on usefulness of these and extra time over the little factory inserts?

Basic Member
    Some claim the radius doesn't match the action anyway, so having them is a moot point.

Basic Member
    Since the new pillars would be aluminum I can use the underside of the 12's Action as a "Sanding Block" to get them to mate perfectly without too much sweat I think.

GaryBF
    I have a 12 BVSS. It doesn't appear to me that there is enough stock material to do much of anything with the rear screw, much less install a larger pillar. I am interested in what you decide.

Basic Member
    If it helps I have bedded several savage stocks that already had the pillars in them and everything worked out great. I just dremel was around the pillars and bedded the stock like normal. At the end of the day accuracy was excellent and the pillars contributed like normal while not allowing the wood fibers to compress. I would be a little concerned you might have a bigger mess on your hands trying to replace them when they are working fine now. Also, don't forget to float the tang area.
    Put