Thread: Dillon Progressive Price

Basic Member

Dillon Progressive Price

A friend has two Dillon 650 presses, wants to sell one for a grand. A bit high? Don't know what options he's added, his equipment is always top-shelf. He loads a lot of 338L for his friends at Bragg. I will be loading 2 or 3 calibers for bolt guns. I would expect doing some neighborhood work for a few friends with other rifles.

What's a price range for these used?

As you've noted already, that would depend on how it's configured. However, Dillon's hold their value and a 650 is one of their better presses. I wouldn't think $1000 is out of line (albeit on the high side). Why not just ask him how he arrived at $1000 as you are not so knowledgeable about Dillion's but know they are good. Beiing upfront with him will make the negotiations much easier....
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

stangfish
    Jhelmuth, put it correctly. Honesty will root out bulls hitters as well. You can see it. If they are users they will treat you like your beneath them or you are not worthy.

Some people have a high opinion of themselves and believe their ownership qualifies them to command a higher price for their items. Len Backus is proof positive that it holds true. On the other hand this fella may have this thing "set-up".
    Last edited by stangfish; 11-09-2013 at 11:10 PM.

Basic Member
    For a grand it should have every whistle and bell on it. I priced a new one a while back and it seems like it was just over a grand with everything set up for one caliber and one set of dies.

Take a look at Dillon precision website.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by short round View Post
    Take a look at Dillon precision website.
    All dillon dealers sell at the same price so if you want great support after the sale in addition to what Dillion already provides check out Brian Enos website. He is the man !!

thomae
    My experience is that due to Dillon's "No BS" guarantee, any used press can be rebuilt or repaired for free to new condition, so the prices on used presses and equipment are not very much below that of the same equipment when new.

I own enough Dillon equipment that I'm not just guessing.

+1 to Brian Enos' website (http://www.brianenos.com/store/dillon.html)

(Here is a link to some other Dillon equipment that a lot of folks don't know about, Dillon Aero: http://www.dillonaero.com/home.html)

n4ue
    Appleseed, I have a lot of RCBS tools and a couple of years ago I bought a 650. Excellent machine and when I broke a small, plastic part (my fault), their CS was beyond excellent.
    Maybe it's just my obsessive nature, but I still prime all my cases (even for the 650) with my Lee hand primer. It allows a much better 'feel' of the primer pocket.
    BTW, if you look a recent picture of the 650, you will see a Zerk fitting on the bottom shaft of the handle/arm, Mine doesn't have (or need it), at my volume. ha ha
    I also made my own roller handle......Not 'cause I'm cheap, I just like building stuff.....

ron

Basic Member
    Thanks guys, Brian Eno's site is very good, plenty of info to review. After a little reading,
    I may opt for the 550 for smaller batches of 100-300. Started rebuilding the reloading shed this week, hope to finish and move in by T-Giving. What a lot of useless junk one can store in 30+ years!

stimpylu32
    Appleseed

I just got my first Dillon , a RL 550 B , other than a slight priming issue ( that i'm still sorting out ) I'm very pleased , it showed up Saturday afternoon and by Sunday afternoon I had it set up and loaded over 500 rounds of 38 spl .

Now I need to pick up a couple more tool heads along with Cartridge conv. kits for 44 mag & 45LC , that will cover the bulk of my handgun loading .

stimpy

Basic Member
    Coming along on the project, the reloading shed is jacked up and blocked, will get a new under-carriage & windows this week, and electricity/lights. Started to tear it down, but it's one thing left on the farm the great grand folks built back in the 20's, nothing more than a shed that stood the test of time.

Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    For a grand it should have every whistle and bell on it. I priced a new one a while back and it seems like it was just over a grand with everything set up for one caliber and one set of dies.
    I just priced a reasonably complete Dillion XL650 set up over off Brian's site: $1,144,65 (plus shipping). So I'll stand by what I posted earlier...
    .22LR * 6.5x47 Lapua * .223 Rem * .308 Win * 260 Rem * Large Cojones!
    [I]"I can prove anything by statistics except the truth."[/I]

Basic Member
    After 3 weeks repairing the reloading building, it's ready for a second coat of paint and will be getting set up again. A friend came by yesterday and said he thought the bench was too high for the Dillon, going to watch a few promo clips and see if it needs to be lowered.
    I assumed it didn't need more roof clearance than the frame.