Thread: 6 mm Norma BR loading data

Cat 64

6 mm Norma BR loading data

If you know of this question being answered elsewhere on theforum please gently guide me to it.
    Could you guys please share with me some of your success “recipes”for a 6mm Norma BR cartridge? I will be shooting a Savage Model 12 Target rifle(F-Class). I know that every rifle is different but I can use some of yourfound data for incipient personal development. I know that most have had successwith Varget and/or RL15. Well, I could not put my hands on those yet. I have however,N150, H4895, and IMR 8208XBR (which I read others had success with). You canwrite the seating depth and bullet used as well. Thank you and happyThanksgiving to you and yours.
    Cat

kdvarmint
    http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/6mmbr/
    This is where I started, and it got me off to a great start.

Settled on Berger 105VLD's jammed .010, Lapua Brass, 30.1gr Varget, CCI 450 primer.
    Using a Harrell's Precision Full Length Bushing Die. .266 neck diameter bushing.
    Last edited by kdvarmint; 11-27-2013 at 09:35 PM. Reason: Spelling

Cat 64
    I have a FL Forster sizing die. I got that because I learned you can send it to them to have the neck honed for the desired amount of tension. Many recommend the same, .266 but how do I know that is what I need for my particular rifle. How do I determine from my fired cartridge "the perfect" tension such that when I send it over I ask for the exact values. And also if I have the tension regulated to let's say .266 do I still worry about neck turning for Lapua cases? I get different responses from different people

kdvarmint
    I used a Micrometer and segregated my brass into 4, 50 round lots when it was new based on neck uniformity. Did not turn necks. Don't see a difference on paper between the best lot verses the worst lot. Lapua brass is pretty consistent. With a factory Savage (And I love Savage) I wouldn't worry about neck turning. IMO. Maybe if you were using cheaper brass.

One advantage of the bushing die is you can try different sizes. The only way to determine what your gun likes is by testing. It will "Print the results."

Does your Forester die use a neck expander?

Also, I forgot to add, I'm jamming the VLD's .010

Don't over think the details. Work with what you have now, and most importantly be consistent with each step of your loading process. Load with care and confidence. Most of the different loads I tested did pretty well. 6br is loader friendly.

Cat 64
    The following is what I have...i would assume the sizing die has the expander....correct? http://www.midwayusa.com/product/814...-br-bench-rest

Can you please be so kind an expand on " print the results".

Thanks,

Cat

kdvarmint
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat 64 View Post
    The following is what I have...i would assume the sizing die has the expander....correct? http://www.midwayusa.com/product/814...-br-bench-rest

Can you please be so kind an expand on " print the results".

Thanks,

Expander, Yes.
    Another reason I went with a bushing die is, it doesn't use an expander, just sizes down to the desired neck diameter, eliminating the chance of effecting the concentricity when the case is pulled over the expander. Don't sweat it though, a little trick I do when using an expander is to not lock it tight so when the sized case comes down on it, it pulls it center. Also, if you want to lock it tight, leave it loose, run the case up in the die, then when you bring the case down to the expander, stop when the case is pulling on it a little, centering it, then finger tighten the nut. Learned that from Darrel Holland.

"printing" The bullet holes in the paper target.

Cat 64
    Good thoughts. Are you doing any cleaning of the flush holes (most said with Lapua don't mess with the flush holes) or primer pockets?

kdvarmint
    http://www.accurateshooter.com/cartridge-guides/6mmbr/

Back to this article, under case prep. That's all I did with the flash holes.

Cat 64
    I discovered that recently. Believe me...my wife is jealous...I "eat" and "drink" this stuff...I am an avid learner and fascinated by this stuff. Fairly new at this but learned tremendously in a short time.

kdvarmint
    Over the past few years I've gotten serious into long range shooting and match shooting. My 6br is my first custom build. Have had good success with Factory Savage also. I consider myself relatively new to this game. I'm by no means the expert. I've learned many things and look forward to learning more. People in this game are eager to share what they know. The trick is, putting the pieces together for yourself. Consistency in all aspects is the foundation that it's built on. Good luck.

Cat 64
    Do you end up doing much trimming after you fire the Lapua cases or they pretty much stay under the Max length? Are you into annealing? How many times you used your cases before you observed , if any, imperfections?

kdvarmint
    With the Harrell's sizing die, there is "less" resizing because the die size is matched closely with my chamber size. Also less stretch without a neck expander. I don't trim to the minimum length, usually about the middle between the min, and max. I don't have to trim every load, but I do if the lot is not consistent in length, to even them out. You will have to trim though for sure, sooner or later. I just started playing a little with annealing this past year. Not sure I have much of an opinion on that yet. So far I have 5 loads through the Br cases with no troubles to speak of.

A link to Harrell's
    http://harrellsprec.com/index.php/pr...ull-length-die

kdvarmint
    I'm curious of your intended use of this gun? Match shooting? Distances?

Cat 64
    Great. I have no trouble ...LOL...knowing the max length from the cartridge description (1.5998) but what have you determined is the min length?

kdvarmint
    According to the Berger Manual 1.5498

Basic Member
    I've had great accuracy out to 1000 yards with the Hornady 87 grain and 31.5 grains of Varget with Lapua brass.
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

Cat 64
    Sniper...thanks...wow....I didn't believe 87's would fly that far with accuracy. Wind a factor I'd assume. Did you try any other powder. Varget, as you know, is very hard to come by this days.

Basic Member
    Sniper...thanks...wow....I didn't believe 87's would fly that far with accuracy. Wind a factor I'd assume. Did you try any other powder. Varget, as you know, is very hard to come by this days.
    Nope I had such good luck with this load I figured why bother. As far as wind It doesn't seem to affect it anymore or any less than the 105's I've shot with.

P.S. I have a little Varget put away :)
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!

multitoes
    Do you end up doing much trimming after you fire the Lapua cases or they pretty much stay under the Max length? Are you into annealing? How many times you used your cases before you observed , if any, imperfections?
    FWIW:
    I bet if you get a Sinclair chamber length gauge and check your chamber that you will almost never have to trim cases.
    The chamber in my 6 BR F-class measured around .030 longer than spec. max length. Pretty much every factory chamber I measure is .025 to .035 over spec.
    By the time a case stretches that much from trim to length it is well worn.

kdvarmint
    Cat, you gotta erase some of your pm's. You inbox is full.

kd.

Cat 64

PM

Quote Originally Posted by kdvarmint View Post
    Cat, you gotta erase some of your pm's. You inbox is full.

kd.
    Just did that Kev