Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Whats Your "GO TO" Rifle ?

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    As my first hunting season firearms use draws to a close I find myself wondering just how many denizens of this forum actually would take their precision tack-drivers out into the woods for real-world action. My style of hunting is to ground hunt going far and deep into the mountains where the hoards of stand-haulers are likely not to go. This means though, that I often climb up steep heavily wooded and rocky terrain--hard enough in light but very tough in the dark at the end of the day when most likely I'll be dead-reckoning bushwacking in the dark. My rifle has taken a beating--rained on, fallen on, slid through mud and leaves and the occasional bash--can't imagine doing this with an expensive custom rig.

nothing to do with you or your comments and current opinions.
    do youself a big favor and start a diary of your hunts and opinions.
    just a little note each day will suffice. years from now you will have
    a book of things. some of which you had forgotten about completly.
    it will also show how your opinions changed over time. possibly a better word
    would be evolved rather than changed. it will also remind you that youve been
    spending alot of time in places that didnt produce. good hunting spots can vary
    from year to year due to food source more so than distance from other hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    nothing to do with you or your comments and current opinions.
    do youself a big favor and start a diary of your hunts and opinions.
    just a little note each day will suffice. years from now you will have
    a book of things. some of which you had forgotten about completly.
    it will also show how your opinions changed over time. possibly a better word
    would be evolved rather than changed. it will also remind you that youve been
    spending alot of time in places that didnt produce. good hunting spots can vary
    from year to year due to food source more so than distance from other hunters.
    Great suggestions--thanks. It's been a frustrating year but a learning one full of adventures and more than one crazy encounter in the woods.

The other day I returned to a public hunting area that just re-opened to archery--there's a few locals that have the place wired and hit it hard the morning I got there. The main trail had lots of boot prints from hunters going in and out--since it had just rained and turned everything to muck it was easy to read the tracks. Towards the end of the trail near a stream were a set of the biggest deer tracks I've ever seen in the south Huge spread and sunk deep to dew claws. I now fantasize that there's a monster buck in there somewhere. I returned to a spot I last hunted a couiple of weeks ago where I had set up a ground blind between some trees. Imagine my surprise when I discovered the very tree I had leaned against in my conceal position had been heavily rubbed! : )
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    The same sort of thing has happened to me before, except it was a place where I had "taken a leak". Biggest scrape I ever saw! I guess "Bucky Buck" said "ain't no way your takin over my territory"! ;-)

Get back on topic guys!

Not my most accurate rifle...but it is sub-MOA with 77gr Noslers and 8208XBR, shoots very consistently, is pretty light and handy for walking around, and kills whitetail just as dead as my 260s.

HOWEVER, if I can get a load nailed down this winter/spring, *this* rifle (20" 260) will be my go-to, do-all, multi-purpose stick.

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Get back on topic guys!
    Good idea--could you cut these posts and put them over in the medium game arena?
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    For down-and-dirty general field work for short- to medium range, my FN M98 in 30-06 (sporterized Colombian military rifle) which I fitted with a Lyman 57 peep sight.

It's more accurate than I am, and when I mounted the peep sight, I lowered/shaped the Monte Carlo cheekpiece so that it points like a shotgun and comes to my eye perfectly .

Very light, handy and perfect for still-hunting deer in the woods.

If I need to reach out there a little further, I go with my M70 in 270 Win with a 3-9X.

ETA: That's a beautiful piece of wood on your rifle, Fyimo!
    Last edited by 1.618; 12-26-2013 at 08:08 PM.

emtrescue6
    I hate to say it...but my goto (never-let-me-down) rifle is a Remington 700 BDL LH in 270 WIN...while it's no longer my primary deer gun (it was replaced a few years back my a Tikka T3 Stainless lite in 270WSM 4 or 5 years back and then a 257 Bob AI custom rifle on a Rem 700 BDL action last year)...it's still the most accurate and deadly rifle in my very crowded safe...in the 20 plus years it's been with me it's taken deer in WA, OR, ID, MT, NC, MI and WY...elk in OR, WA and MT moose and caribou in Alaska and Pronghorn in WY and OR...plus a pile of yotes and 3 bob cats...all told the rifle has taken well over 150 big game for me and a friend who uses it every year when he comes to MI to deer hunt with us. It's like a best friend, doesn't matter how long it's been since you've handed it it always performs.

Savage6x284
    LH Kimber of Oregon M84 in 6x47. A sweeter, better pointing, and easier carrying rifle simply does not exist. 6# 1.7 oz scoped!

Next is my fully custom Savage 116 with a 24" nutless 8 twist 5R rifled #2 contour SS Rock Creek chambered with a brand new custom ordered PT&G 6-284 reamer throated specifically for the 105-115 grain VLD's. 100% titanium speedlock FP, custom BAS, 5/8" Stockade BH, tuned three screw, and all set into a McMillan Hunter's EDGE inlet for the aluminum 700 TG. Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36 in S&K ringmounts. 7# 3.3 oz. scoped.
    I may switch out the scope and mounts to get this rifle to come in at or under my goal of 7# scoped. The present scope is really a great scope and there are no better mounts anywhere than the S&K's.
    Folks told me you couldn't get a LA Savage with a 24" barrel to come in at 7# scoped but with a swap to the superb 3-9x33 VX-2 Ultralight and Talley LW's I'll do it and with only a 6mm hole in the barrel to boot.

Here are some pictures of the Savage.

And one of the Kimber and the Savage with two other lightweights.

The one above the Savage is an early 700KS (wearing a ridiculously heavy Vortex in this picture) and the top rifle is a very early ULA.

Might could say I'm a fan of lightweight full sized rifles.
    Last edited by Savage6x284; 12-28-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Basic Member
    Bullet placement is where its at. Everything from rockchucks to elk have fallen to my Rem M7KS in 260 Rem, topped with a 2x7 Leupold that I got form Herters in 1969. Lightweight, accurate and hard hitting--it has all I need. However, anything over 450 yards, I let go.

Onotajoe
    114 Euro Classic 30-06 (pre accutrigger). Extremely accurate. It is exactly what I want in an all around big game rifle. Oil finished walnut stock, monte carlo cheekpiece, iron sights, deep blued steel, and schnabel forearm. I stopped searching for my dream rifle the day I brought this one home 5 years ago. My go to deerslayer.
    Last edited by Onotajoe; 02-13-2014 at 08:52 PM. Reason: misspelling

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234