Thread: 7mm 110 action can I convert to 338 lapua

tc_firefighter311

7mm 110 action can I convert to 338 lapua

Hello I'm new to savageshooters.com wondering if I can conver my 110 7mm action to a 338 lapua. I have 2 other 7mm's just looking for something different. What do I need if so, an new bolt face.

No, well you can but is definitely not safe. You can do a 338 Edge which is cheaper on components and faster than the Lapua.
    More shooting, less typing.

44magleo
    The 7mm Mag has a .532 rim diameter. The 338 Lapua has a .588. You would need to get a bolt head for a .588 rim, then will it even fit in your rifle? The COAL length would be a bit long for a standard length action.
    I might go with a 338 Win. or maybe a 330 Dakota. It has a .545 rim, no belt and can push 250 gr bullets 2800 fps.
    Leo

The LM action is supposedly heat treaded different than standard actions. Most feel that the LM is even border line on them. The LM has a lot of bolt thrust. That will cause set back where the lugs contact the action. So while it is a simple swap to make it physically fit, it is a very unsafe build.
    More shooting, less typing.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    The LM action is supposedly heat treaded different than standard actions. Most feel that the LM is even border line on them. The LM has a lot of bolt thrust. That will cause set back where the lugs contact the action. So while it is a simple swap to make it physically fit, it is a very unsafe build.
    That's probably the best answer to that question, thanks.

tc_firefighter311
    After about 10 hours of research, thats what every one is saying, What about a 338 edge build on a 110 7mm action. Would it be safe?
    Ballistics look to be close on the 2, Just about every on says the brass is only good for 2 or 3 rounds at most 5 shots? Would i be better to just start off will a suergon action and build a 338 lapua, Or would the savage action be good for a 338 edge?

Basic Member
    ive always looked at it this way. what im willing to put my face next to is one thing.
    but do i want my sons putting their face next to it also?
    the way we hunt is there is one gun sitting on a bench. we all have our own large glasses.
    whoever spots the deer gets the shot except me. there are lots of places to be cheap besides actions.

tyler.woodard04
    Why do you want a round that size? I'm not opposed to it just wondering your reason

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler.woodard04 View Post
    Why do you want a round that size? I'm not opposed to it just wondering your reason
    Something different, it's in his OP.
    Last edited by RP12; 11-27-2013 at 01:46 PM.

tyler.woodard04
    Right but hunting, target, steel, sect?

Quote Originally Posted by tc_firefighter311 View Post
    After about 10 hours of research, thats what every one is saying, What about a 338 edge build on a 110 7mm action. Would it be safe?
    Ballistics look to be close on the 2, Just about every on says the brass is only good for 2 or 3 rounds at most 5 shots? Would i be better to just start off will a suergon action and build a 338 lapua, Or would the savage action be good for a 338 edge?
    Savage is a great action for a single shot 338 Edge. Smaller bolt face than the Lapua so there is less bolt thrust. The Edge also outperforms the Lapua by a small margin. Repeater is possible, but more trouble than it is worth.

Using a reasonable load, I've been able to get more than 5 loads on Rem brass. The new Bertram brass through Shawn Carlock is supposed to be much tougher. On par with Lapua.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyler.woodard04 View Post
    Right but hunting, target, steel, sect?
    I'm changing my reply, as reading it back it sounded sarcastic to me. Everyone would like to build a 338 Lapua just because, right ?
    Last edited by RP12; 11-27-2013 at 09:15 PM.