Thread: pillar install issue

Basic Member

pillar install issue

I got a new wooden stock for my #10. After minor fitting, I'm ready to install pillars. I have very little wood to put the rear pillar into. I'm concerned about the stock splitting as the hole is enlarged. Is having such a limited amount of wood to work with normal?
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

Basic Member
    I've seen some pillar jobs on here with the rear action screw hole left open where there is limited space. Once the pillar is glued in it should be fine as the pillar will re-enforce the stock in that area.

Basic Member
    I usually make my own pillars on a lathe and they are usually around 7/16" dia
    I just finished one using 3/8 diameter x .049 ss tubing which worked great if you want a smaller hole
    I think there is a post in the FAQ section at the top of savage 110 forum page that has a post on pillars using lamp rod which is smaller diameter too
    The material at the rear pillar is thin but as Lonewolf said it will be reinforced with the devcon or epoxy used to install pillar
    If you have the action fitting right, there will be no pressure on the "sides" of the stock when you tighten up the action screws to cause a stock split, all the pressure will be on the pillars
    If you bed the action too, it would definitely do away with any unwanted stresses

Hope this helps
    Jack
    Last edited by JW; 12-01-2013 at 09:16 PM.

4. 12-01-2013, 09:19 PM
    Reason
    duplicate post

Basic Member
    Well I just looked in the FAQ section and did not find the post on installing pillars, I must have dreamed it was there lol
    You should be able to find it by doing a search
    sorry
    Jack

I searched and found this one http://www.6mmbr.com/pillarbedding.html

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JW View Post
    I usually make my own pillars on a lathe and they are usually around 7/16" dia
    I just finished one using 3/8 diameter x .049 ss tubing which worked great if you want a smaller hole
    I think there is a post in the FAQ section at the top of savage 110 forum page that has a post on pillars using lamp rod which is smaller diameter too
    The material at the rear pillar is thin but as Lonewolf said it will be reinforced with the devcon or epoxy used to install pillar
    If you have the action fitting right, there will be no pressure on the "sides" of the stock when you tighten up the action screws to cause a stock split, all the pressure will be on the pillars
    If you bed the action too, it would definitely do away with any unwanted stresses

Hope this helps
    Jack
    I had checked the FAQ and remember that thread about using lamp rod, but I didn't see any mention of just how thin the wood is around the pillar. I know that gluing the pillar in will make things strong, but it's getting the hole drilled and pillar installed the worries me. I bought the "factory" pillars from Boyd's, but I think that was a mistake. Their length is wrong for this stock, and a thinner pillar will help ease my concern. I'll have to make the ones I want.
    The stock is definitely getting bedded after the pillars are done.
    Thanks for the replies.

Basic Member
    I used a 5/8in brass pipe fitting cut down to size to make a rear pillar on my ProHunter stock before I dropped my Axis into the ProTac. It worked just as well and I did all the cutting with a dremel.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Mach2
    I had this prob on a Boyds stock. Ended up using copper tubing which was a smaller diameter. I only had to drill a slight enlargement of the hole. The copper tubing was from an old water heater element. Any home water heater will have these size elements. I had saved an old one in my home plumbing tool kit. New ones are about $7 at Lowes.
    You can't use midway's pillars for your stock. You have to get a narrower pillar.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mach2 View Post
    You can't use midway's pillars for your stock. You have to get a narrower pillar.
    Yup, that's the ticket. I feel better now knowing that someone else understands what my concern is. I only need a pillar with enough I.D. to accomandate the bolt. To Lowes I go....

Basic Member
    My Boyd's varmint thumb hole I put 3/8" pillars front and rear. The rear ripped all the wood out behind the pillar as expected but with proper prep and the use of Devcon 10110 I've had zero problems. Holding tight and expect it to remain that way.