Thread: Request for assistance: Axis in Boyd's stock off center

kirk2022

Request for assistance: Axis in Boyd's stock off center

OK Guys, Question here. I got my Prairrie hunter stock, Set the action and barrrel in, Had to relieve the bolt release area just A touch so bolt would release. When I tightened down the action screws the barrel got tight to the left side of the forearm. I noticed the move when I tightened the back screw. I have placed A very thin washer between the stock and the action and the barrel is centered. Everything seems good now. Should I leave it this way or do further mods. Shot the rifle to sight in and made scope adjustments, and all seems well.
    Any suggestions or comments?

Try removing the spacer and holding the barrel centered as you tighten the action screws. Most stocks will have a little wiggle room in them that will allow the barrel to go off-center to one side or the other if you don't hold it centered when tightening. This is where glass bedding comes in to provide a more glove-like fit for the action so it will always be centered when you remove/reinstall the stock.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Seems like everyone who has got one of these stocks has some sorta issue with it. I guess you get what you pay for.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

seanhagerty
    you could bed the action to the stock and have no more problems with it.

stangfish
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Seems like everyone who has got one of these stocks has some sorta issue with it. I guess you get what you pay for.
    I am up to going the cheaper route at times, but this statement never leaves my mind. If I buy something cheap it is with the understanding that I will end up doing something to make it how I want it. Bedding isn't so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    I am up to going the cheaper route at times, but this statement never leaves my mind. If I buy something cheap it is with the understanding that I will end up doing something to make it how I want it. Bedding isn't so bad.
    +1............
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

kirk2022
    I tried holding the barrel center in the stock while tightening the action screws. It still seemed to go to the left. Although its not in anyway tight enough to call stuck. The action and barrel are still free. I can slide A dollar bill 3/4 of the way down the barrel without the shim under the action. but with the shim there is no interference at all. The dollar bill slides free down to the recoil lug. I will shoot it some tomorrow, After that I will consider bedding the action or just call it good and leave it with the shim. Being A handgun guy mainly and now moving to rifles is different.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kirk2022 View Post
    I tried holding the barrel center in the stock while tightening the action screws. It still seemed to go to the left. Although its not in anyway tight enough to call stuck. The action and barrel are still free. I can slide A dollar bill 3/4 of the way down the barrel without the shim under the action. but with the shim there is no interference at all. The dollar bill slides free down to the recoil lug. I will shoot it some tomorrow, After that I will consider bedding the action or just call it good and leave it with the shim. Being A handgun guy mainly and now moving to rifles is different.
    I'd call Boyd's and get another one! Why settle for a product that they didn't put 100‰ into making sure it fits properly!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Team Savage
    I bought two of the Boyd's stocks. One Prairie Hunter and one Thumbhole(I have one Edge and three Axis'). The PH fit perfectly but I sent the Thumbhole stock back to be replaced, it to was shifted to the left. I believe the recoil lug was slightly off center. I will say, their customer service(Lisa B) has been very nice to deal with. When I get the other stock back, I'll be pillaring and bedding both stocks....seems like a fun project.

kirk2022
    It is all good. Bedded the action and go to go. Now just need A chance to get back to thr range and give it A ride. Just recieved A Thumbhole stock for my Marlin 60, It dropped in great.