Thread: Model 1899... just a couple questions

Cartercoak

Model 1899... just a couple questions

My father just passed along a gun from his youth and I'm not familiar with it. It's in good condition and good working order.

I'm wondering how old it is? Also, it's missing the bead on the front sight and I'd like to get it replaced if possible. Where can I look to find a replacement? A little help would be greatly appreciated!

It's a Savage Arms 22 Highpower model 1899, lever action – Serial #135116

Thanks!

22 H.P.?

I'm guessing it's a model 1899H. It has a take down feature and the barrel is 20" long? The bead your missing I'm not real sure what you mean, doesn't the gun have a front sight that's integral with the barrel and a blade gets pinned inbetween it, or is that what your missing, the blade?
    Savage- "never say never".

Cartercoak
    It only says 1899 on the barrel. No "H". The front sight is integral with the barrel and there is a piece missing from this part. Not sure if it's a bead or a blade but the place that it fits into is cylindrical in shape. Does this help?

No it won't say H, just 1899. It should have a button under the forearm and if you pull it towards the receiver it should let you take the forearm off, this is what they called a take down model. Under the barrel right by the receiver it should say "off" with an arrow pointing to the right (left) depending on how your looking at it. If it's been sitting a real long time don't try to take it down, it's probably good and stuck and you might break it. Happens a lot.

Now for the sight, here's a shortcut to an old auction that didn't sell cause it was about $1000 overpriced but it shows a real good picture of what the original front sight should look like on yours.

http://www.gunauction.com/search/dis...emnum=11641568

Cartercoak
    Yep!... that's exactly it! Do you know where I might find a replacement sight? And fyi... mine is in a lot better shape than the one from the auction! And my forearm came right off. Wasn't stuck at all.

Thanks again for your assistance!

Nope the forearms don't usually stick, it's the barrels that stick. DON'T try a pipe wrench!, haha. Thye small circle with a square in it on the inside of your forearm fits over the hook on the barrel and you use it to take the barrel off but if it doesn't want to turn don't force it or you'll bust the whole side off the forearm.

As for the sight try doing a search for a Lyman 32 or 26, they'll fit your gun. If you can't find one a lot of guys file down a nickel and make their own.

Cartercoak
    Thanks a bunch! You've been very helpful and I greatly appreciate you expertise!

Thanks again,

Carter

Cartercoak
    Thanks a bunch! You've been very helpful and I greatly appreciate you expertise! By the way.... can you give me the approximate height above the barrel so I can size the fin if I file one down from a nickel?

Thanks again,

Carter