Thread: Model 93F WMR rear sight adjust

maggie987

Model 93F WMR rear sight adjust

I'm new to this forum, but there is alot of great information on here, Thanks to all.
    I purchased a new Model 93F 22 magnum not to long ago, I did a fair amount of research on this site, and talking with other people before I bought the Savage. I already knew about the mag feed isuues some users experience, but I was hoping by now those mag issues would have been addressed, but I was wrong, I had the same issues as others have with feed issues. But thanks to people on here, I was able remedy it, at least most of the way. (I can load up to 5 in the mag , and insert with bolt open and all is good, if the mag has 4 or 5, and you insert it with bolt closed, it will push the nose of the bullet down so it won't feed into the barrel at the right angle.... or load 3 in the mag, and it will work perfectly with bolt open or closed). I actually called Savage, and they are sending a new mag in the mail...fingers crossed that one is better.
    But that is not what I am writing about. When I first got the gun, and sighted it in with the iron sights, I started at about 50 yards. It was about 2-3 inches to the left. No big deal I just tapped the rear sight to the right, until it was good. It was also shooting really high, even with the adjuster ramp in the lowest notch. So I completely removed the ramp, which I figure is acceptable, being that I'm at 50 yards. Even with the ramp removed, I'm shooting about 2 inches high, for my liking.
    I realize I'm only at 50 yards, and a 22WMR is flat way past that, but I would like to see the front sight a little closer to the center of the target, if you know what I mean.
    My question is this. Has anyone tried to bend the rear sight down a bit more for that extra adjustability? I figured I would ask before I tried...just in case someone, said" "Yeah I tried that and it broke" It doesn't need much to make it feel right for me. I eventually plan on getting a scope, but until then, I would like to adjust it just a bit. At distance I can always add the ramp, but unless you have bionic eyes, 50 yards for small targets like small varmits is about as far as my eys can handle! I have heard of people making the groove in the rear sight a bit deeper, but that will mess up the finish, so thsi seems like a good idea....as long as the metal isn't too hard, so it won't take a bend.
    Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks

New mag won't be abny better, and more than likely you'll have to adjust the feed lips on it as well. The assemblers at Savage adjust the lips of the magazines included with the rifle so they feed properly (or at least they are supposed to), but replacement magazines are "as delivered" and 9 times out of 10 will need some tweaking.

As for the rear sight issue, you might try looking into getting a slightly taller front sight to accomplish the same thing. Can't remember if they're screw-on or dovetailed as both of mine are heavy barrels with no sights, but a replacement for either should be fairly cheap. Check Williams, XS Sights, or some of the other common sight makers. IIRC Savage typically uses Williams sights on their centerfire rifles that have open sights, but the rimfires may be Marbles.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

outback andy
    Heck, I didn't think there was anyone that still shoots with a open sight, I'd just put a good scope on it..

maggie987
    thanks for the info!

maggie987
    Well, a scope is on my Chrsitmas list, but in the mean time, It would be nice to have the iron sights a bit closer. Once you have a scope, its hard to go without. But it is nice to have the flexibilty of semi accurate iron sights.

Thanks