Thread: Clearance Axis, picked up two for builds.

Basic Member

Clearance Axis, picked up two for builds.

If you guys are near a Cabelas, check and see if they're selling any Axis on clearance. I just picked up two 7mm-08 youth models for $199.99 each. They had the outrageous cook county $25 per rifle fee, but with my $20 off coupon, they were $477 out the door. They were just tucked in with the others on the racks. I happened to see one of the tags, otherwise I wouldn't have known.

Already restocked and rebarrelled one (pics to come).

thomae
    I knew someone would beat the price that I got last week. Congratulations!

Basic Member
    Dang nice find! Yeah they are some axis builds out there I am thinking about one.

Basic Member
    I knew people would catch on as soon as stocks became available.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    I knew people would catch on as soon as stocks became available.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah, I've been thinking about it for awhile, but once Boyds and SSS came out with the stocks, I knew I had to finally do it.

When I found them at the price I did, I knew I NEEDED to build two!

Now just trying to figure out how to justify another. Time to sell something.

Basic Member
    Finally got my first one put together (pictures in the picture thread), and it's going out on Sunday.

Put an Accu-trigger in, and it's still a little heavier than I want (have to get a gauge one of these days), but it's nice and crisp.

Trying to decide on the caliber for the other. It's currently 7mm-08, but I'm thinking of switching to 260 or 6.5x55 with a heavier barrel. Also need to figure out which style stock to go with. I really like the Prairie Hunter, but I kind of want to try one of the SSS stocks.

That one's gonna sit in the safe, as-is, for awhile until I can make up my mind.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elgin View Post
    Finally got my first one put together (pictures in the picture thread), and it's going out on Sunday.

Put an Accu-trigger in, and it's still a little heavier than I want (have to get a gauge one of these days), but it's nice and crisp.

Trying to decide on the caliber for the other. It's currently 7mm-08, but I'm thinking of switching to 260 or 6.5x55 with a heavier barrel. Also need to figure out which style stock to go with. I really like the Prairie Hunter, but I kind of want to try one of the SSS stocks.

That one's gonna sit in the safe, as-is, for awhile until I can make up my mind.
    How was the accutrigger install that had been my hang up on the axis.

Basic Member
    Not bad at all (minus the time the C-clip went flying across the room). I went with a set screw and the "pen spring" method, except I found some springs at the local hardware store that I'm using instead (they fit the screw and the notch for the spring better).

I just read everything I could find on the trigger swap, and then took my time.

I've got to be honest, having shot my Accutrigger Savages and shimmed-and-respringed Axises back to back, I like the Axises' better.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    I've got to be honest, having shot my Accutrigger Savages and shimmed-and-respringed Axises back to back, I like the Axises' better.
    I like the accutrigger since I can have the #1.5 trigger and the safety of the accutrigger. I had a Jewell trigger on a 700 action that was at #1 and it would slam fire if you were a bit more assertive closing the bolt.

Basic Member
    Great price on those rifles...I don't believe every Cabela's is going to have same prices on all products...sorta like WM does not compete with other WM stores.

n4ue
    Hi. These are such nice rifles! I picked up a couple more .223s. I rechambered one for .221 Fireball and the other for .223 Ackley Improved. Both shoot as well as the 'regular' Axis .223, which is to say, great!!
    BTW, all my Axis rifles have had the trigger reworked as described in another thread. About $1 in hardware store parts. Light, no over travel. My shooting buddies prefer these as opposed to my Accutriggers.... So do I....

ron

ron

Mach2
    Axis' are selling well in the clearance category but has anybody bought one at 90% of its suggested retail price? These rifles are generally priced just under $400 on Davidsons. I don't think I've seen anyone buy an Axis over $300.