Thread: Stuck ejector

Basic Member

Stuck ejector

I have a stuck or possibly broken ejector in my 22-250 Edge. I've tried for days to get it out to no avail. Does anyone know how much savage charges to fix it? Thanks.

stangfish
    What have you done to get it out? have you been able to remove the retaining pin on the side of the bolt head? Once that is removed and it does not protrude enough to pull it out, some of us soak it in a penetrating oil then try to flush it out. using a small punch or suitable tool to compress what is left of the spring and work it back and forth until it falls out.

Basic Member
    I had the same issue last week. First time shooting my Axis in 300BO and after 10 shots...noticed no ejector. I'm going to call Savage this week to see if I send in my bolt face if they will replace it.

On Savage's website bolt faces can only be sold to gunsmiths which I find to be BS, but I know they won't sell/send customers the sear either.

Basic Member
    I can't get the retaining pin out. I can't seem to find a punch that small.
    what I've tried so far is soaking it in hoppes, smacked it off of my bench countless times. Soaked it in more hoppes and smacked the bolt face with a mallet countless times. It just won't budge, not even a little.
    Last edited by Slugger; 11-23-2013 at 05:07 PM.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I had the same issue last week. First time shooting my Axis in 300BO and after 10 shots...noticed no ejector. I'm going to call Savage this week to see if I send in my bolt face if they will replace it.

On Savage's website bolt faces can only be sold to gunsmiths which I find to be BS, but I know they won't sell/send customers the sear either.
    Mine is due to a blown primer. I guess I had a loose primer pocket because, while book max, it shows no pressure signs. I've even gone 1.5gr above book max with no pressure signs.

kdvarmint
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugger View Post
    I can't get the retaining pin out. I can't seem to find a punch that small.
    what I've tried so far is soaking it in hoppes, smacked it off of my bench countless times. Soaked it in more hoppes and smacked the bolt face with a mallet countless times. It just won't budge, not even a little.
    Carefully use a small drill bit. (To tap it out, NOT drill) I've done this several times. Just be careful not to break the bit.

stangfish
    Slugger, I know this does not help you this time but if you feel a primer "fall in" with ease when priming brass, take some pliers and smash the case (after you salvage the $.04 if you want) It works out much better in the long run.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Slugger, I know this does not help you this time but if you feel a primer "fall in" with ease when priming brass, take some pliers and smash the case (after you salvage the $.04 if you want) It works out much better in the long run.
    I didn't feel a loose pocket, I didn't notice any difference in the feel while seating the batch of rounds. That's just the only explanation I can think of since I weigh every charge and trickle to perfection and I'm not real close to the lands.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kdvarmint View Post
    Carefully use a small drill bit. (To tap it out, NOT drill) I've done this several times. Just be careful not to break the bit.
    The drill bit, or in my case, drill BITS didn't work. The retaining pin, like the ejector won't budge either.

Wildboarem
    I bought a six pack of punches at Ace. The smallest one tapped lightly but firmly with a heavy ball pean did the trick. I also used brake fluid as a penetrant ( I don't know why it works it just does, old machinist trick) might work for you. Drill bits are a different type of steel than punches and usually break on me. Spent the $15 never referred it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildboarem View Post
    I bought a six pack of punches at Ace. The smallest one tapped lightly but firmly with a heavy ball pean did the trick. I also used brake fluid as a penetrant ( I don't know why it works it just does, old machinist trick) might work for you. Drill bits are a different type of steel than punches and usually break on me. Spent the $15 never referred it.
    I will have to check for that punch. The smallest one I have is 1/16" which is too big. Those small drill bits sure are brittle. I got several good whacks before they broke but no movement. I even tried a small allen wrench and all it did was bend.

bodywerks
    It only comes out in one direction. Make sure you're punching it in the right direction.
    I use the drill bit trick - I think like #52? But you can only use the shank. You have to cut off the cutting flutes or that's exactly where it's going to break.

Basic Member
    I have to ask:
    Are you trying to drive out the pin the wrong direction ?
    (A 1/16" punch should work fine)

Jack

Basic Member
    Sorry for the post with same information
    Bodywerks must have posted while I was typing ( slowly)
    Thanks
    Jack

Basic Member
    I'm definitely driving it, or trying actually, the right way. Out of the bolt face is the logical direction, right? The 1/16" punch is way too big. Its a lot bigger than a 1/16" drill bit. After looking at my Stevens 200 in 300 win mag, it appears the ejector is broke off.

Basic Member
    OP I had the same issue with blown primer.

You can use a nail or anything of the same size to remove the pin. I had a punch small enough to drive out the pin holding the ejector.

Basic Member
    I finally got it out. 15 seconds with an angle grinder and out it popped. After tapping and more tapping and some searching it seemed that $19 was a lot easier than trying to pound on something that just wouldn't budge. Had it been a remington part I'm sure it would've broke long ago lol. Thanks for the help guys.

stangfish
    Out of the bolt face is the logical direction, right?
    Something is wrong here. How are...were you trying to drive the pin out of the bolt face? The image I have is confusing.

Basic Member
    On one side of the bolt head you can see the retaining pin, the opposite side is a hole to the pin. I was tapping through the hole to the pin, no luck. On the last few minutes of its existence I even tried tapping the opposite way just to be sure because the other way wasn't working for sure.

stangfish
    So you were not driving towards the bolt face but pushing it through the hole. Gotcha