Thread: .22 open bolt semi-auto??

3tallpines

.22 open bolt semi-auto??

In front of me - I have an open bolt 22 semi auto. "Ranger" Possibly it's not a Savage/ Stevens, but after all of my yrs. of gunsmithing --- even the lettering style on the barrel tells me - 'Stevens'. Not a 1912.
    I'm missing the mag. A 5 or 6 or7? shot clip/ magazine with a ridge of metal down the back. It should have a notch in this ridge for the mag release -about 1" [?] down from the top.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Is there anyway of getting me pics of it?
    Savage- "never say never".

Basic Member
    They may look like these, they were a common Savage/Stevens/etc mag in the day... I found them on ebay. These are 5 round mags but were available in 10 round also. The one on the left and center are reproductions of the late model versions. The right one is an early model original. Pictured below them is a single shot adapter block made by a talented gent over on the rimfire central forum. It slips into the mag making it possible to more easily use your gun as a single shot.

No, no not the mags, I'd like to see the Ranger and try to match it to a Savage model. I'm thinking maybe a gill gun (or click clack) model, if so then the mags you posted should be correct, some of them have "S"'s in a circle stamped on the bottom of the mags.
    Savage- "never say never".

3tallpines
    I will try to get some pics and hopefully sent them. Computer expert I am not.
    Indigo22-- Thank you for your effort! Mistake on my part. The "ridge" at the rear of mag. is a single ridge, in the center.
    FYI This is an interesting 'case' to solve. I'm going to pursue this to the end. Why do these thing come up, when I'm to busy to..[you know!]

Basic Member
    If it truly fires from an open bolt it is probably a variation of the Marlin Model 50 and would take a magazine the would look very similar to the early Savage's. I have seen Ranger marked versions of the Marlin that replaced the Model 50 (the A1 I believe). If it is a Model 50 variant it may have a manual extractor on the right side of the action, from pictures it looks like they didn't put them on all versions.

The magazines for these can cause some confusion - it seem that the same basic body was used for two versions of after market magazines that fit the early Savage's (1903/1909/1912 and 1919/1922/23-A) and the Savage versions look totally identical to the Marlin except for the rear 'ridge' on the magazine which is slightly different and has a different location of the notch for the catch. It should be possible to modify the Savage version to work in a Marlin by adding another notch in the correct location - the Marlin version would not be as easily modified to fit a Savage - even the ones that were intended for a Savage often do not fit very well.

Here are pictures of the Marlin for comparison, if this doesn't look like it then we will have to try again - http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...l+50&FORM=IGRE

3tallpines
    Yep, It's a Marlin 50. Thanks everyone!!