Thread: 308 Edge extraction problems

StevenM

308 Edge extraction problems

Bought the Edge brand new from a local gun dealer and never got to use it for 12 months. When I got to take it to the range I was getting good groups with factory ammo but it was not ejecting the rounds correctly or reliably. I created a range of hand loads and tested them at the range, some of them gave me 3 shot groups that were cloverleafs at 100m. And that was with the gorilla trigger that it comes with, so I was suitably impressed. But I was still having problems ejecting the rounds (loaded and fired) reliably.

The local dealer sent it back to the distributor, they had it for 2 months and sent it back with a note that said no fault found!!! The local dealer tested it and it still would not eject properly. It seems to extract the round from the action and drop it when the bolt is half way (ish) back.

I have used it hunting sambar deer here in Victoria, with the 180gn RN projectiles, it seems to do the magic just fine and I managed to harvest 3 deer with 4 shots so I cannot complain as to its effectiveness.

So far in the bolt I have replaced the extractor ball and spring, I have replaced the spring under the ejector pin and it still does not eject properly.

Any hints on what else I need to do to fix the ejection problems?

Thanks

Steven

thomae
    Have you looked at the position of the bolt head?
    One possibility is that it could be installed 180 degrees out. If the extractor is not on the side of the bolt head closest to the ejection port, disassemble the bolt, take off the bolt head and twist it 180 degrees so the extractor is on the other side.

If you've already checked this, then disregard.

Basic Member
    Same problem my 223 axis had. The fix was to put a slightly larger detent ball under the extracter claw. Can not remember off the top of my head what size will check when I get home. Factory size might be 5mm I think I replaced it with 5.5mm. So far hasn't happened again!!!

Basic Member

StevenM
    It was this thread that I followed to replace the extractor ball and spring mentioned in my question.
    BTW: I found that post to be very helpful, it was well written and easy to follow, a credit to the Author.

Steven

StevenM
    You make a good point thomae.
    I had assumed that it (ejector plunger) needed to be on the opposite side to the bolt handle and low so as to flick the case up and out when the neck reached the ejection port.

But we all know about assumptions, I will try to do this over the weekend.
    I have also tried Ammo and cases from a number of manufacturers and noticed no improvements so far.

Still, I would be interested to see a photo of a bolt untouched by me to see where things are at WRT the bolt handle on an Edge that does eject reliably.

Steven
    Last edited by StevenM; 11-22-2013 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Had left out posters name

thomae
    It sounds as if your geometry is correct. I presume you have taken everything apart and given it a good cleaning. Here's how the bolt to my .223 Axis looks:

StevenM
    Snap - mine looks the same - just been fired less than yours by the looks of it.
    Thanks thomae, that's one less job I have to do this weekend.
    Shame though - it would have been an easy fix.

Steven

Basic Member
    Ironic, how others are having the same issues I am with my Axis 300BO...took it out for first time last Saturday and the ejector seems to be stuck as I cannot replace the ejector spring in mine...I ended up buying another Stevens 200 223 rifle, so I could use the bolt face for PA rifle season.

I had replaced the ball bearing and I even bought the SSS 300BO ejector upgrade and still had issues.