Thread: Taking a scope off one rifle. To put on another.....

Todd33

Taking a scope off one rifle. To put on another.....

Hey guys, Got a question. I just bought a Stevens 200 .223. I'm gonna pull the scope off my Remington 700 ML and put it on the Stevens. Do I just need to put the windage & elevation knobs in the middle of their adjustment range & start from there on the Stevens. Seems like it would work fine. just thought I'd ask. Might save me a headache. The scopes just a cheap 3x9x50 simmons 8-point.

Basic Member

Re: Taking a scope off one rifle. To put on another.....

I would just move it over then make adjustments. Whether you zero the scope before or not the adjustments from mechanical zero are going to be the same in the end providing nothing major is wrong.

Dolomite

That depends on the type of base as far as windage goes anyway. If you have a windage adjustable base (Standard base) I would "center" the windage knob and make any major windage adjustments with the base.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Todd33

Quote Originally Posted by EFBell
    That depends on the type of base as far as windage goes anyway. If you have a windage adjustable base (Standard base) I would "center" the windage knob and make any major windage adjustments with the base.
    Man your kinda talkin over my head.. :) I just bought some regular old weaver 2 piece bases & a set of weaver rings.

Team Savage

If you have Weaver bases and rings, you don't have a windage screw on the rings or bases. Just mount scope and shoot at 25 yards to get centered on target and then move to 100 yards to make final adjustments.

Todd33

[quote=jpdown ]
    If you have Weaver bases and rings, you don't have a windage screw on the rings or bases Just mount scope and shoot at 25 yards to get centered on target and then move to 100 yards to make final adjustments.
    [/quote

Ok...Gotcha.

Todd if you realy want to save yourself a headache get another scope or else you will be doing this again for ML season.
    If you choose to do this then yes reset to factory zero first.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Get some EGW bases for all of you rifles. Then all you need is one set of good rings and you're set.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

Todd33

Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy

Todd if you realy want to save yourself a headache get another scope or else you will be doing this again for ML season.
    If you choose to do this then yes reset to factory zero first.
    I'm in the process of trying to sell the ML to fund other projects. Figured I'd save a little money & rob the scope off of it for the .223. The ML's a nice stainless steel gun & I think the cheap black scope would Probably hurt the value of it anyway... :-[

jrmy_1

Quote Originally Posted by dolomite_supafly
    I would just move it over then make adjustments. Whether you zero the scope before or not the adjustments from mechanical zero are going to be the same in the end providing nothing major is wrong.

Dolomite
    +1

Make sure you record your zero for the original gun before you start moving it. I usually just record zero, switch guns, site down the barrel at 50yds and adjust the scope to what looks like a zero, fire, adjust accordingly, repeat until good. I hear those bore sighters work pretty good too.

Todd33

I just swapped it over & started at 25yds. Worked out just fine like that. I figured it was gonna be alot more out of wack coming off a .50 cal. Muzzle loader onto a .223. I could only get out to 75yds. at a buddies house today shotting off the hood of a truck. 1.5" groups with $6.00 a box ammo. I was pretty impressed. I'm looking foward to seeing what I can get out of it with good ammo & a solid benchrest to shoot off of.