Thread: Leupold Mark 4 or Sightron Slll

Basic Member

Leupold Mark 4 or Sightron Slll

Leupold Mark 4 8.5-25×50 TMR. or Sightron Slll 10-50×60 1/8 MOA.
    For a Sergion Remedy A-5 .338 Lapua. Should be here friday.

Basic Member
    Surgeon

Basic Member
    I'd go with the Leupold. I have the identical scope but in the 6.5-20 model and love it

Basic Member
    May as well get the Leupold. You just can't go wrong. I've always had trouble justifying spending top dollar on another brand scope when you start getting up there in that price range. Even if the other scope is better, people will look at you like you have horns growing out of your head when you tell them you bought a lesser "name" scope for what you could have gotten a Leupold for. I'm not saying a Sightron is a lesser scope, but the Leupold holds more street cred.

n4ue
    Hi. I think a lot of this (IMHO) has to do with resale value, also. I have over 34 scopes in inventory and 1/2 of these are 'spares'. I have NO high $ scopes in my inventory. I have heard NOTHING but glowing 'reviews' concerning both of the scopes you have listed.
    My buddy/boss (who is NOT a gun guy), is NOT opposed to high quality, having owned 2 Zeiss Scanning Electron Microscopes (and an Indy Car winning team) in the past. However, for the limited use his rifles are used on his 1000 acres, for predator control, he will never notice the difference between a Vortex or a USO, SB, or NF scope, It's all what you want, need, and can afford.
    Just don't be too convinced by what you look through at your LGS. The lights inside make a lot of the scopes waaaay too similar. Buy from someone that will take the scope back, if you don't like it. I bought a new Nikon Monarch for $450+ and when it was was 'tested' by myself and 4 other shooters, as compared to a bunch of other scopes, including a $70 Wally World scope, it went back the NEXT day. There was nothing wrong with the Nikon, as I own several others, it just wasn't the best bang for the $$.
    As they say: PERIOD!
    I purchased the Boss a Fujinon 3.5-10X50 (non-adjustable PA) that is SO bright, it almost hurts your eyes. Alas, discontinued and no longer available. If it was, I would have bought a 6-pack! ha ha Today, I sighted his new Savage M12 SS 22-250 with a new Primary Arms 4-16X44mm scope. It was excellent and although the gun will out shoot this scope, bang for the buck, it is unbeatable! At the same time, I re-zeroed my Axis in 22-250, It wears a Mueller 8.5-32X50 PA scope. Don't laugh. The Axis has had the mandatory trigger job and shot just as good as the M12. My shootin' buddy actually preferred the Axis. Go figger! It felt like a toy compared to the M12 (and I have several other M12s).

ron

stangfish
    From my experience it may depend on where you live. I think the Leopold is very nice. The Sightron is very nice as well. I have the lower power version. If you live in a warmer or more humid environment you may never use all of that power that particular Sightron has. You might do better with comparable power ranges and make your decision there. The TMR reticle is one of my favorites. Out of all of the Sightrons it would be the target dot and then the MOA reticle.

Basic Member
    I have a Mk4 8.5-25x50 M5 TMR and a Sightron SIII 8-32x56. I'd go with the Mk4 on the 338 Lapua. My Sightron has great optics but it only lasted 20 shots on my 13# 375 BME before the reticle started rotating. Sightron fixed it, but I'm not convinced that they are built for serious recoil. The Mk 4 has never given me an issue. Once I had my first FFP TMR scope I was hooked. Get the Mk 4 with M5 turrets and be happy. That puts you within a few hundred dollars of a NF though.

Andrew

Basic Member
    Thanks all. Leupold if is !!

pitsnipe
    Quote Originally Posted by yorketransport View Post
    I have a Mk4 8.5-25x50 M5 TMR and a Sightron SIII 8-32x56. I'd go with the Mk4 on the 338 Lapua. My Sightron has great optics but it only lasted 20 shots on my 13# 375 BME before the reticle started rotating. Sightron fixed it, but I'm not convinced that they are built for serious recoil. The Mk 4 has never given me an issue. Once I had my first FFP TMR scope I was hooked. Get the Mk 4 with M5 turrets and be happy. That puts you within a few hundred dollars of a NF though.

Andrew
    for the OP:
    I own a Mk 4. And if I had the coin at the time I had purchased it I would have gone NF for the ZERO STOP feature alone. Sure, I have come up with my own method (shims under the turret to prevent rotation more than two minutes below zero) But Leopold needs to step up and incorporate that feature into this line of glass IMO.

Snipe

Basic Member
    Thanks