Thread: Which Muzzle Brake For 111 Hog Hunter ??

Which Muzzle Brake For 111 Hog Hunter ??

I'm told the savage 111 "Hog Hunter" is threaded with 5/8 X 24 threads at the muzzle, and is .750 diameter at the muzzle. My question is what muzzle brakes currently on the market will meet this configuration? Most all of them list the thread size, but not which muzzle dia. they will fit. Any suggestions?
    We are lending money we don't have, to kids who can't pay it back, to train them for jobs that no longer exist.

pitsnipe
    billt,

After you eliminate the variable performance/preference issues to a brake (I'm personally very happy with the one on my FLCP-K that came stock from Savage). At this point it is basically about aesthetics. Yes, you might get lucky and find one that "works" for you that has the same base diameter as your barrel. Otherwise, I would focus on side port only vs side and top port OR all 4 sides with ports. If you plan on shooting from the prone position on a dirt surface I would stay away from any brake with ports on the bottom (unless you shoot over a blanket or the like) as the ensuing dust storm/cloud is annoying if at all avoidable.

Snipe

I have a Savage 110 FLCP-K in .300 Win. Mag. (discontinued), with the Savage brake, and I'm happy with it as well. Does Savage sell it as an aftermarket item?
    We are lending money we don't have, to kids who can't pay it back, to train them for jobs that no longer exist.

Basic Member
    I have several of these. They will taper the brake to your exact barrel outside diameter.

http://muzzlebrakesandmore.com/ROSS_SCHULERS_PAGE.php

http://home.comcast.net/~MOA_Shooter...zzleBrakes.htm

wlleven
    Quote Originally Posted by billt View Post
    I'm told the savage 111 "Hog Hunter" is threaded with 5/8 X 24 threads at the muzzle, and is .750 diameter at the muzzle. My question is what muzzle brakes currently on the market will meet this configuration? Most all of them list the thread size, but not which muzzle dia. they will fit. Any suggestions?
    I have two Hog Hunters in .308. Both have Cooley muzzle breaks and they are very, very efficient.

I got the ones that are .750 at the base. You need to order the smaller crush washer that is for a smaller thread size (223), than bore out the ID. That way the OD of the crush washer matches your barrel ...it looks great. If you have a .223 Hog Hunter you are set and don't have to do anything except install !

Order a few crush rings on ebay as you may make a mistake or two ;- )

BTW, there is an impartial test on you tube on muzzle breaks ...Cooley came out on top. I bought this brand from all the reviews I have read and the reputation of the company that makes them, they are top notch !

wll