Thread: Another 93r17 misfiring but for different reason

vhuang168

Another 93r17 misfiring but for different reason

I've been doing some research about the misfires my 1 month old 93r17 BTV has been having but I've yet to find another similar case.

My gun will start misfiring after 75+ rounds. When I pull the bolt, the bolt face around where the case head seats is caked in carbon. This happens regardless of ammo type. To date I've put over 400 rounds through it n have had numerous misfires but it is always after 75+ rounds after I clean it. All cases are good, no split necks.

Accuracy is usually pretty good, just under MOA but sometimes will throw wild groups. 2-3" off target for 4-6 rounds then back to normal.

I've called Savage about it but all I got was the usual "Send it back with a note stating what's wrong" response. A little disappointed by that, it almost seemed like the guy was jaded to the fact that a 93 was misfiring. Didn't ask for my particulars or serial number.

Does anyone have a suggestion as to what is wrong or something to check? It looks like there is room
    for the gases to escape past the lip. Headspace issue?

After 25 rounds

After 85 rounds
    Last edited by vhuang168; 10-31-2013 at 08:58 PM.

russ10x
    I know that most guys, in any type of bolt rifle, ignore the bolt face. Not to sound critical, but you have to keep that bolt face clean. I am not a proponant of cleaning .22 rimfire barrels, and I know the 93 is copper jacketed, but the bolt face and chamber needs attention. I have not had any issues at all with mine.

vhuang168
    I started with a clean bolt face. It should not have gotten that dirty after only 85 rounds. How dirty is your bolt face after 85 rounds?

Basic Member
    That looks awfully dirty for so few rounds. I have a 93 in 22Mag and it does not do that. I would measure headspace just to be sure. My rifle is at maximum spec and will only leave a small amount of residue after 100 rounds??

russ10x
    You are 100% right. Is that copper fragments? You might be having a feed issue, and the gun is not going completely into battery, just slightly out.....

Basic Member
    Inspect the misfires under magnification against a fired round. Are the strikes on the rim progressively lighter??

vhuang168
    The misfires are light in strike. Rifle is on the way back to Savage.

Quote Originally Posted by vhuang168 View Post
    I've called Savage about it but all I got was the usual "Send it back with a note stating what's wrong" response. A little disappointed by that, it almost seemed like the guy was jaded to the fact that a 93 was misfiring. Didn't ask for my particulars or serial number.
    What did you expect him to do, give you advice on how to fix it sight-unseen and open Savage up to a major liability lawsuit? Not gonna happen! He did exactly what he should have done - instructed you to send it back so one of their qualified gunsmiths could take a look at it and identify the root of the problem.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

vhuang168
    Quote Originally Posted by J. Baker View Post
    What did you expect him to do, give you advice on how to fix it sight-unseen and open Savage up to a major liability lawsuit? Not gonna happen! He did exactly what he should have done - instructed you to send it back so one of their qualified gunsmiths could take a look at it and identify the root of the problem.
    Did I say anywhere that I expected a problem with a firearm to be fixed over the phone? I said that I was disappointed there was not more information taking on the customer support's part. "Didn't ask for my particulars or serial number." not "didn't tell me how to fix it".

I expected, at the least, be asked for my name and contact information. Serial number of the firearm and proper documentation as to the reported problem, a few questions to further clarify the situation (type of ammo used, number of rounds, place it occured etc). And a RMA number so that the problem can be traced and referred to. Just like any other manufacturer receiving an item being sent back for warranty work.

Now I'm sending a rifle blindly back to the manufacturer who has no idea that my rifle is on its way back and what the problem is except what I wrote in a note. I sure feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

Maybe I'm feeling a little disjointed because this is a firearm and not a toaster I'm sending back. I think a problem with a firearm should have been treated with more than a "oh just send it back with a note" response but that's just me.

What you're failing to realize is that the people on the phone you're talking to work in a call center. They have no interaction with the service/warranty repair area, and I doubt they're using a computerized ticket system of any time for service returns (at least not a system that's tied into the call center). Additionally, the phone jockeys aren't highly skilled or knowledgeable folks when it comes to guns, they're their to answer the phone and take parts orders mostly and/or answer the most basic and/or rudimentary questions about Savage products from the scripts they're given.

Yes - I'll agree, this is an area where Savage could greatly improve things in those regards.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

vhuang168
    Update

Called Savage up to see if they've taken a look at my rifle and find out that they will be replacing it. Didn't tell me what's wrong with it. Unfortunately they don't have any in stock so I have to wait for a replacement. I hope they don't take too long!

russ10x
    Mine was made in Canada. Check out the barrel labeling.

Quote Originally Posted by russ10x View Post
    Mine was made in Canada. Check out the barrel labeling.
    All the Mark I/Mark II and 93R rifles are made at the Ontario, Canada factory. I would imagine the new Rascals are made up there as well.