Thread: B-Mag Split Casing

Crashbombs

B-Mag Split Casing

Hi everyone first post. I just got a B-Mag yesterday and found a ton of ammo for it. So I went out shooting today and the results over all where good.

But one round I had a hell of a time even pulling the bolt back. So I took a look at it and this is what appeared.

So I decided to check all the casing I have fired. Out of 16 casing 2 where split. Heres the other one.

I do not know what they looked like before they where shot I never thought to check them that thourghly. But I checked the rest of the box and one round has spiral sractches or etchings all the way around the casing (think rifling on the casing) and all of them had crimp marks on the necks.

So what do you all think about this.

Also feel free to spread these pictures around to other forums you may be a part of.

Just for info, were they the 20gr or 25gr and what tips.

Dean
    RUMs are like woman in Stiletto heals, you know they are going to put you in the poor house, but that has never stopped anyone from pursuing them.

Crashbombs
    Quote Originally Posted by scope eye View Post
    Just for info, were they the 20gr or 25gr and what tips.

Dean
    I meant to write that part but I forgot they are 25gr Polymer Tip

Heres a pic of the Batch Number or what I beleive is the batch number.

Crashbombs
    Ok so I just got done checking the rest of my ammo. 6 boxes total and 6 potentially bad rounds not including the two that already failed. Heres a pic.

Sorry for the poor numbering I can't write with a mouse. Also sorry the pic isn't that great but all defects are facing forward and I will explain them.

The first 4 are 2600fps 25gr Polymer Tips.

1. This one has a very small crack in the neck right where the bullet meets the casing.

2. This one looks like it was sent through a roller. It has a large crease starting at the rim and spiraling up towards the neck.

3. This one is similar to 1.

4. This one has a large crack that has been folded on top of itself.

5 & 6 are 3000fps 20gr

5. Has a large crack and a gap in the neck. It does not reach where the powder is stored.

6. This one had an even larger gap than 5. The gap was wide enough that with very little effort I was able to pull the bullet out of the casing. Also the casing was completely empty it has no gunpowder at all. When I opened the box I heard some rattling and saw one grain of powder floating around inside. I assume it was from this bullet.

If you want more info or pics let me know.

Basic Member
    I have the same issues with some of the ammo I purchased. I have also contacted Winchester, who requested I send them the defective rounds for evaluation. I suggest everyone to do the same, Winchester needs to know the frequency of the problems. Use their website, click on support and follow the prompts.
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...our-17wsm-ammo

Crockett
    Do you have any lot #'s for the ammo you have found defects with?

Basic Member
    houston we have a problem.... good thing I don't have this problem with 270wsm ammo, I'd be livid. but this is sincerely upsetting for you all I'm sure. As a happy hmr owner, it does not make me more willing to go out and grab a b-mag....
    Couple rf's, couple cf's, and 1 12g.

Everything I once held dear
    I count it all as lost

See this post for more 17 WSM defects:
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...our-17wsm-ammo

Apparently Winchester has some production line issues, but there's not enough info yet to know if it includes more than one lot number. Please add your info to the above post!
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

ben6548
    Hi guys just joined the site. I have a number of Savage products as well as the B mag.
    I have had similar experiences with the 20 grain shells, as well as a few duds.

doug-goodall
    Hello folks. I just joined the site today. I am grateful for all the good information here. I recently bought a B-MAG and now I will be extra careful to inspect all my ammo before loading it into a magazine or a gun. Keep up the good info guys.

Basic Member
    Sorry guys, but I bailed out on the Bmag. Finally got to shoot it, (2 boxes Lot # 3GN50, no visible issues). Of the 10 rounds that I fired, 2 went bang, 6 went pow, (light and 2" lower @ 50 yds). Moved to 100 yds and last 2 went bang into 3/4 ". I've decided to wait for more gun and better ammo so I traded mine and the bullets. I did inform the buyer, (Gun shop) of the issues with the ammo and the work that I had done to the gun. Still no ammo for it out here, so for now I'll go back to shooting my TRR HMR and hope for better things to come. Good luck to you all, be safe.

Basic Member
    Too all who have experienced ammo issues, you should contact Winchester via their web site. They are very interested in the 17WSM issues and will replace the ammo if need be.

Crockett
    Quote Originally Posted by gsperaz View Post
    Too all who have experienced ammo issues, you should contact Winchester via their web site. They are very interested in the 17WSM issues and will replace the ammo if need be.
    I have contacted them and have not heard back yet. How long did it take for a response?

Basic Member
    Took just over a week, called me direct.

goodolsavage
    I had the same issue with my 17hmr. I talked to a guy that shoots 17 a lot! Both hmr and wsm. And he said its more common in 17 to split. I shot a box of cci 17grain tnt loads and about a
    1/4 didnt go bang the first time through and the. About hf of those split. Hornady was having issues going off but federal had no issues what so ever. I would contact savage also and have them check out your chamber. Though only cci split and federal ways went bang savage wanted the gun and found out my chamber needed reemed. I stl dont know why all the missfires though.. That was the only day it's done it

Basic Member
    I have noticed that the split necks and fliers seem to go together. Hopefully Winchester will do a better job of annealing the brass.

goodolsavage
    Quote Originally Posted by LHitchcox View Post
    I have noticed that the split necks and fliers seem to go together. Hopefully Winchester will do a better job of annealing the brass.
    That they do.. Dont tell cci that.they told me it wont effect accuracy lmao

Basic Member
    Anyone else seeing this .17 debacle dying a slow death ?

goodolsavage
    Quote Originally Posted by RP12 View Post
    Nope.. .17 offers a better range and far better accuracy than a .22 or .22mag without doing to much damage

Crockett
    Quote Originally Posted by RP12 View Post
    If anything I see a lot of interest for .17wsm from others. Once things get sorted out I will bet it becomes very popular in time.

owenp
    Quote Originally Posted by Crockett View Post
    If anything I see a lot of interest for .17wsm from others. Once things get sorted out I will bet it becomes very popular in time.
    +1
    It has a lot going for it. Flat shooting, cheap etc.
    I am wondering if it is a head space issue. The casing may be too slack in the chamber causing it to blow out when it is not surrounded snuggly. The fact that the casing is tapered would make this spacing even more important than a straight cased round like the .22WMR. My B.mag might be a later production model but for the price I could not ask for a better shooting gun.

Basic Member
    I sold my Bmag, gun seemed to shoot ok, had to do all the stock work to ff the barrel but the unavailability of ammo out here and bad ammo performance and the info from all here and other forums is why I decided to move on at this point, (other wants to fuel addiction) but I do intent to come back to the 17 WSM as I really like my other 17's and I like the concept. I just personally need more consistency in the gun and ammo, but I wish all who are investing and working on what you already have the best of luck. Personally I think the strongest point of the Bmag is it's weight and would love to see that part retained in a better design. Just my opinion. Best wishes to ya.