Thread: Shopping for powder and the strangest thing happened!

Shopping for powder and the strangest thing happened!

I just got back from yet another frustrating trip to my GS for my rifle powders of choice. This repeated cycle of frustration has struck me with a very strange and expensive symptom: I walked out of the store with a brand new SS Ruger 44 mag super blackhawk hunter! What's happening to me? : )
    Last edited by thermaler; 11-17-2013 at 06:35 PM.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Basic Member
    Sorry but you have certainly caught the dreaded gun bug!

Basic Member
    Nice!! I have been thinking about one too!! I kinda want the 45LC/454/410 version though. I gotta get a couple more rifle builds done first though....

I've never reloaded for a handgun before, so I figure this would be the path. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. The gun is magnificently made, the solid barrel-length top rail and included rings are a very nice touch. Can't wait to shoot it, though firing a handgun with the recoil of a stout 12 gauge has me a bit concerned. ; ) Already bought Hornady titanium nitride dies for it, just have to settle on the powder and primers.

PS--found a good quick trick to halve the trigger pull here: http://www.gunblast.com/Poorboy.htm
    Last edited by thermaler; 11-17-2013 at 08:32 PM.

dcloco
    I simply love 240 gr bullets in both of my 44 Magnums (Super Blackhawk 7.5" and Taurus Tracker stainless).

For simplicity, I run Hodgdon HS6 in 9 mm, 40 S & W, 45 ACP, 38 Special, 357 Magnum, & 44 Magnum. Groups are tight, speed is right, and recoil is normal....bonus of ONE powder for all of my pistol calibers.

I have been wanting a 460! Don't ask why, I just want one.

Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
    I have been wanting a 460! Don't ask why, I just want one.

Dennis
    That's tossing the bait out there if there ever was a way! : ) Now why would a barrel-maker say that?? : )

Basic Member
    I use to load 300g solids for mine when I lived in bear country. I had the Redhawk but have shot the blackhawk many times. You will love it! 44 mag is pretty easy to load for. Most powders in that burn rate range work great from my experience. Roll crimp! Not too much, not too little! Will suggest the lee FCD also. There are a few sites out there that you can get once fired brass at a deal. All I have purchased has been good brass. You will thoroughly enjoy your new friend!

Quote Originally Posted by Jetpig View Post
    I use to load 300g solids for mine when I lived in bear country. I had the Redhawk but have shot the blackhawk many times. You will love it! 44 mag is pretty easy to load for. Most powders in that burn rate range work great from my experience. Roll crimp! Not too much, not too little! Will suggest the lee FCD also. There are a few sites out there that you can get once fired brass at a deal. All I have purchased has been good brass. You will thoroughly enjoy your new friend!
    The hornady new dimension 3 die set has a built-in crimper--why would I need the Lee factory crimp die as well?? About the only thing I find a little odd about the super blackhawk is how small the grip is--and I have small hands to begin with. I find it all but impossible to do a steady two-hand hold and not wrap my trigger finger around the trigger--in other words getting just the tip pad of my finger on the trigger is very hard/awkward.

Basic Member
    Your H dies will be plenty sufficient and you don't "need" the Lee FCD by any means. The one thing the Lee does over the rest is to smooth out any bulges that may occur in bullet seating by means of a carbide ring as well as applying a good crimp. This will eliminate any hang-ups that might occur in the cylinder. (My loads were also used in my Desert Eagle 44) I always crimp as a separate step anyway and having the separate die, I don't have to reset my seating die to then crimp. Again, I am talking small potatoes, nothing drastic or magical. It just works and works well. I am not a basher by any means but it is the ONLY Lee reloading item I own and swear by. I have to say it has been most handiest on my other auto cases, 9MM and 45ACP in a couple tight chambers I have.

I think you will also find plenty of great aftermarket grips available for your Blackhawk. You going to scope it or leave it open?

11. 11-18-2013, 10:56 AM
    Reason
    Duplicate post

Your H dies will be plenty sufficient and you don't "need" the Lee FCD by any means. The one thing the Lee does over the rest is to smooth out any bulges that may occur in bullet seating by means of a carbide ring as well as applying a good crimp. This will eliminate any hang-ups that might occur in the cylinder. (My loads were also used in my Desert Eagle 44) I always crimp as a separate step anyway and having the separate die, I don't have to reset my seating die to then crimp. Again, I am talking small potatoes, nothing drastic or magical. It just works and works well. I am not a basher by any means but it is the ONLY Lee reloading item I own and swear by. I have to say it has been most handiest on my other auto cases, 9MM and 45ACP in a couple tight chambers I have.

I think you will also find plenty of great aftermarket grips available for your Blackhawk. You going to scope it or leave it open?
    I'm a big fan of lee factory crimp dies--I use them on most of my rifle loads so I'm not questioning their usefulness. If I understand you correctly, you use the factory crimp AFTER the roll crimp in order to "smooth out" the crimp "ridge" that grips the bullet?? thnx for the input BTW.

PS--I'm definitely going to get a scope--I'm actually thinking of putting a vortex 2 MOA combat red-dot on, or maybe a leupold VX 2

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    I'm definitely going to get a scope--I'm actually thinking of putting a vortex 2 MOA combat red-dot on, or maybe a leupold VX 2
    Years ago I was on the Contender kick for hunting. I started with two barrels, one in 222 with a 4x Leupold the other in 308 with a 2x. On the bench the scopes were fine, but in the field trying to get on a squirrel's head with the 4x was a challenge. Its one thing getting on a piece of stationary paper but at a moving squirrel on the forest floor is another ballgame.

One day two brothers at the range were both shooting Contenders, one chambered in 6.5 Herreet the other a 30, both using AimPoint red dots. After some discussion they had me stand and get target, first with my 2x then their guns with dots. There wasn't any comparison, the dots were light years ahead of the scopes getting on target.

It wasn't long after that I gave up on the T/Cs, but if I ever venture into handgun territory again for hunting dots will be on them!

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

I have a spare bushnell trophy red dot that was just a few mms too long to fit between the rings--otherwise it would have been perfect. I've got a budget millet on the way to try out.

BTW jetpig--I think maybe I'm catching on why you would want both types of crimping. Is it because you want the full roll crimp for bullets with cannelures--which as I understand it in the 44 mag MUST be crimped on the cannelure--and the taper or factory crimp would be used for non-cannelured (especially plated) bullets?

stimpylu32
    thermaler

What I think he is doing is the same that I do , set the seating die so that it does not crimp , just seats the bullet and then crimps with the Lee FC die .

stimpy

Quote Originally Posted by stimpylu32 View Post
    thermaler

What I think he is doing is the same that I do , set the seating die so that it does not crimp , just seats the bullet and then crimps with the Lee FC die .

stimpy
    On the 44 mag? From what I read you MUST roll crimp on the cannelure if it has one. But I haven't reloaded this yet.

stimpylu32
    You don't always have to crimp on the cannelure , yet it's is a good idea for a couple reasons , 1) it keeps your cartridge OL at a proper length and 2) it keeps from cutting into the jacket if you use a real heavy crimp .

If your using say Hodgdon's H110 or Win 296 ( same powder ) a heavy roll crimp is needed , yet with some other powders like 2400 or Unique only a mild crimp is needed , just enough to hold the bullet during recoil .

stimpy

Basic Member
    I crimp all my pistol rounds with a light crimp just to make sure they don't move, with the lee dies it seems the neck tension just isn't there like with rifle batteries.

thanks for the input guys.

That's tossing the bait out there if there ever was a way! : ) Now why would a barrel-maker say that?? : )
    LOL, Because I have most of the others and the 460 packs a pretty good punch!
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stimpylu32 View Post
    thermaler

stimpy
    This. Seat first, no crimp, then use FCD to do the crimp. FCD in 44 mag does roll crimp.

This. Seat first, no crimp, then use FCD to do the crimp. FCD in 44 mag does roll crimp.
    Any particular reason to not use the built-in roll-crimper on the hornady die?

Basic Member
    Any particular reason to not use the built-in roll-crimper on the hornady die?
    None. Just the FCD does both the roll and the body of the cartrige in one step.

Ahhh--that makes semse--didn't know that--all my other Lee FCD's are pretty much just a collet inside a die which you adjust for a crimp.