Thread: Sealant of primers and bullets

Basic Member

Sealant of primers and bullets

Do any of you put sealant on your primers or bullets?

I do load my own pistol ammo and have seen the majority of the self defense loads are sealed. (I know loading your own self defense ammo is another bag of worms....)

I do live in North Texas so we do have humidity here. My ammo is stored in a old refrigerator that humidity is maintained at about 10% and 70 degrees, but I do pocket carry my LCR with speed loader in the other pocket so it gets sweaty in the summer sometimes. I use CCI primers and have never had a misfire, I shoot my own loads and usually the ammo does not stay around real long at least my 15 rounds that I carry are gone in a month. I was thinking about the Hornady sealant.

Thanks!!

I do only on certain loads. Another words, If I am loading and don't know when I will shot the bullets, I go ahead and seal them. As long as you keep the bullets inside, usually your OK. I have heard of people doing so and 20 years later the bullets still shoot.

JMO
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member
    As long as I can keep getting components I like to keep shooting it to stay proficient.

Thanks Dennis!

Basic Member
    Only sealant I use is 30 or 50 cal ammo cans with good rubber gaskets.

davemuzz
    IMHO, I would avoid sealing the bullets. Anything that would possibly cause the bullet to stick to the brass, other than a normal crimp (taper or otherwise) I would fear it would cause the bullet to remain in the case longer and raise pressures to amounts that frankly, I'd rather not want to know.

Dave

Basic Member
    Well my normal ammo storage is in a air tight climate controlled environment, where I kinda wonder about it is in the summer when the couple of speed loaders are in my pocket in the summer and getting sweaty, its been enough sweat to tarnish the brass. But those 15 rounds usually don't live more than a month in service.

Basic Member
    I don't know for sure but the only ammo I've ever seen effected by water was when I'd get soaked to the bone out hunting and the old paper shotgun shells in my pockets would swell up and sometimes be hard to chamber but they still killed ducks. Man that was a long time ago. Seems like a hundred years. You can always do a little test.

Hmmm..me and my axis 308 got downpoured on while hunting the other day--everything got pretty wet--I may fire a few of my home-grown cartridges just out of curiosity.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

MacDR
    When I purchased an older Remington 760 in 35 Rem. I discovered several rounds inside the butt. They were made by Dominion, a company that has been out of business for decades. The cases were pretty oxidized and no sealant was apparent. I cleaned them and all fired okay. IMHO normal neck and primer pocket tension should be all the seal you need.

Basic Member
    Sounds good to me! I'll leave them alone and just load more of them! Now I just need some cheap jacketed bullets for the 9mm & 38 so I don't burn up as much my stash of hornady xtp bullets.