Thread: Model 11 bolt spacing questions

phirebug

Model 11 bolt spacing questions

I was at my local Dick's today and they had what looks an awful lot like a model 11 FCNS (gray laminate stock, DBM)
    they had two, both labelled as 111's, but one is very obviously a long action and the other very obviously a short action. however, just to make sure, i asked for a tape measure and the screws measured almost 5.5"??? I could have sworn the short action screws were 4.4". maybe I am measuring the wrong ones?
    It definitely had the new centerfeed magazine, was chambered for .308, and the magazine was nearly an inch shorter than the one next to it.

I need a CF/SA action with a DBM, and this is cheaper than a new action from savage, plus comes with a barrel and scope for my next project, so this is a no brainer, but can someone clarify what I should measure when I go back in the morning? I ordered a stock from SSS that should be here soon that is inletted for a LRPV action with the centerfeed action screw spacing and I need to make sure it will fit.

I mean, if nothing else, I just have an extra action for an extra project, but I would really like to get this right the first time.

Thanks for putting up with my FNG questions, guys.
    -James

phirebug

Re: Model 11 bolt spacing questions

OMG i just realized where I got this all wrong. I should probably cross post this in the thread about stupid things we've done...
    the bolt spacing was 5.4"...i can't believe this didn't click until now...it was one of those giant 50 yard tape measures with the crank on the side, and i forgot that 0 starts at the end of the metal clip. i lined it up at the first black line, which is...of course...1"...for a bolt spacing of 4.4"....God I feel dumb.