Thread: Burris Zee Rings

Burris Zee Rings

Hey Folks- Well, I ended up getting a scope sooner than I expected for my Hog Hunter in .308; Nikon Buckmasters 6-18x40 Niko-plex reticle. I wanted to shoot it with the scope right away so I settled on using a set of Burris Zee rings (NOT the Signature Zee) mounted on 2 piece Weaver bases (aluminum, made in USA). I intend to get a set of Signature Zees next week or two- but a local gun shop had a set of the standard Zees...

Mounted it all up and I noted the Zees came with a set or pair of "Friction" stickies that according to instructions are to be mounted to the inside bottom half of the rings. So I did that, and using a Wheeler torque driver torqued the ring halfs at 17 pounds. I always mark my scopes using a contrasting artist pencil at the outermost side of each ring for easy reference relative to eye relief, should the scope slip or get bumped. I've never had any of my scopes slip before- but this one did, slightly.

Before I re-mount the ring tops and reposition the scope, I'm wondering if I should remove the stickers- or are they necessary? On my other rifles I have two sets of Weaver standard rings; and one set of Burris Signature rings (three rifles). ALL are torqued to around 17 pounds for the rings and none of them have slipped. Having said that- none of my other rifles recoil as much as the .308.

So again- should I loose the friction stickies, torque the ring screws more than 17 pounds or...? Thanks for any advice.
    Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

Basic Member
    I would lap those rings before I put the scope back into them

stangfish
    For me the zee's have to small of a contact area for good traction. the signatures compress the plastic inserts and the ring is internal radiused, therefore there is no movement. If I were to use a lighter weight permanent non signature zee ring I would use Warne permanent's. Talleys are not a bad choice either.

Team Savage
    Sounds like you just want to shoot your new rifle and plan to get Burris Signature Zee rings as soon as they are available.

I personally would leave the friction strips in place not because of recoil, but to help protect the scope tube from damage if the 2 piece aluminum bases are not perfectly aligned. Nothing ruins the re-sale value of a nice scope more than ring marks. I would also consider upgrading the aluminum bases to steel. Of the many 2 piece base combinations I have tried over the years with Burris Signature Zee rings, the Weaver Grand Slam (S46 and S402) steel bases, or Burris Tactical Extreme steel bases give the best scope mounting flexibility on a Savage SA or LA. I can also switch scopes with ease using this set up. I use higher power scope for load development and paper punching and switch to a lighter, lower power scope for hunting.
    Last edited by jpdown; 11-17-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Basic Member
    Take the friction tape off and get some pine tar rosin. You can get it where they sell baseball equipment. They use it for gripping the bat. I assume you are degreasing everything first, right ?

Quote Originally Posted by RP12 View Post
    Take the friction tape off and get some pine tar rosin. You can get it where they sell baseball equipment. They use it for gripping the bat. I assume you are degreasing everything first, right ?
    AH! I wondered where to get rosin..thanks! And YES- absolutely degreased everything before mounting.

JPDOWN- YEP! Impatience caused me to get what was available locally and quickly!

HEY STANG- yeah- I see your point. I'll probably not do anything too drastic as I plan to get the Signature Zees in the next week or so.

I have contacted EGW in the meantime..they have the regular and HD one piece base in stock, "0" MOA. They put one aside for me till tomorrow when I can pick it up. Nice having them in my back yard.

Thanks all!- Gonna get some rosin and pick up the EGW base, make do until I get the Sig. Zees. Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!