Thread: loose dovetail scope ring problem

desmo

loose dovetail scope ring problem

I have a pair of Burris Signature dovetail rings which I wanted to use with my standard 1 piece Leupold base. I noticed that the dovetail ring is lose enough that I can manually twist in on and off using just my hand. Usually you need to use a wooden dowel to get enough torque to turn these things. Are the Burris rings not compatible with a Leupold base or is this just a defective set of rings? Is there a fix for this kind of problem?

Re: loose dovetail scope ring problem

I think you may be looking at two different things or maybe your not describing it right. There are standard "Turn in" rings and then there are dove tail rings. I have burris standard turn in ring (front) with windage rear in a leupold mount on 2 rifles with no issues. Of course maybe I'm missing something too?

Are these what you mean? http://www.opticsplanet.net/burris-1...unt-rings.html
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

desmo

I have the Burris 1" signature universal dovetail rings with the standard 1 piece Leupold base with the windage screws in back. The ring nearest the barrel which supposedely requires you to use a wooden dowel to turn it into place is lose enough that I can turn it by hand with just a bit of force. I had a pair of Leupold rings before and I had to really use a lot of pressure to get the ring to turn with a wooden dowel so I am assuming there is an issue with these rings but I'm not sure so I wanted to ask others about this.

I undersatnd now. Usually it's not a problem mixing brands. Has this base been used before with a "tight ring"? it may be a little bit out of shape from use. Is a leupold ring still a tight fit? if so you may want to get a Burris base.

What confused me was that some rings are called "dovetail" for grooved reciever such as rimfires.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

pa hog

If it's the front, the very front base screw could be bottoming out on the barrel threads. I had it happen before.

Quote Originally Posted by Pa Hog
    If it's the front, the very front base screw could be bottoming out on the barrel threads. I had it happen before.
    Me too but caught it beforehand. Yes, that could cause the ring to be a little loose.

Team Savage

I've had the same problem before reusing dovetail rings. I suspect you've gouged or worn the ring ears or base from turning in and out one time too many. I fixed mine by using bedding compound and permanently fixing the ring in the base. But this will only work if you can access the base screws once the ring is mounted. I always liked the clean look of dove tail rings, but I'm always swapping scopes. That's why I went back to Weaver style bases on all my Savage rifles and Burris Signature Zee rings. It's a lot easier to quickly swap out scopes with this set up verses the standard or dual dovetail rings.