Thread: need a little advice from

kippo

need a little advice from

Im no noob when it comess to guns and working on them but this is driving me nuts. Got a savage weather warrior with accu stock and trigger back 2 yrs ago. Out of the box with a new nikkon scope I was grouping 3 shots under a in at 100 yds. The only thing I have done is remove the action for adjusting the accu trigger.

I have gone through the torque sequence 5 times on the stinking thing and my groups are best at 3 in and worst at 5 in using hand loads that were grouoing under 1" in the beginning.

I need to get her back to at least 1" groups

Thanks
    Kip

Basic Member
    I copied this a few years ago, maybe it will help and might be what you have already done
    I think that the wedge that was in the original accustock has been omitted on the newer models and some have had success with omitting it on their rifles

I would also check the scope bases and rings for proper torque
    How many rounds have you fired since it was cleaned? typically savage rifles shoot better dirty
    I also would not rule out the scope as a problem if none of the other suggestions solve your issue
    I hope this helps

thought I'd pass along this info;

The other day I had a informative conversation with Mr. Chris Bezzina (main engineer at Savage Arms) who played a key part in the development of the AccuStock. I wanted to get detailed information on torque specs for the 10 LE weapons series. There is a sequence for reassembling in the manuals but for ultimate accuracy wanted by advanced shooters the recommended sequence is as follows.

Proper Adjustment of The AccuStock
    There is a specific technique for assembling the action into the AccuStock, and it needs to be strictly adhered to as follows:

1. Ensure that the recoil lug “wedge” screw is backed out to the point where the wedge has sufficient vertical movement to allow the recoil lug to seat against the bottom of the aluminum rail.

2. With the action inserted into the stock, justify the action toward the rear of the stock to allow the recoil lug on the action to be seated against the boss on the aluminum rail.

3. Tighten the forward most screw to 10 in.-lbs. to seat the action against the aluminum rail boss, then back out one-half turn.

4. Tighten the middle action screw to 10 in.-lbs.

5. Tighten the rear action screw to 10 in.-lbs.

6. Tighten the forward action screw to 10 in.-lbs

Repeat steps four through six and increase torque value in increments up to a final torque value of 40 to 45 in.-lbs.

Note: It is extremely important to tighten per the instructions above because when you are tightening the action down into the AccuStock you are spreading the aluminum side rails and evenly moving the action down onto the base of the rail, ensuring positive engagement.

—Chris Bezzina, Savage Arms

Quote Originally Posted by kippo View Post
    Im no noob when it comess to guns and working on them but this is driving me nuts. Got a savage weather warrior with accu stock and trigger back 2 yrs ago. Out of the box with a new nikkon scope I was grouping 3 shots under a in at 100 yds. The only thing I have done is remove the action for adjusting the accu trigger.

I have gone through the torque sequence 5 times on the stinking thing and my groups are best at 3 in and worst at 5 in using hand loads that were grouoing under 1" in the beginning.

I need to get her back to at least 1" groups

Thanks
    Kip
    does your stock have the wedge (3 bolt)
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

kippo
    No it is the 2 bolt

I agree with JW. Eliminate the obvious (mounts, scope). I have a model 10 without the "wedge" and I haven't found it sensitive to being taken out of stock, retorqed, ect. I always ask myself the question, What's changed since it shot well?? Not doubting your reloading skills, but have you tried any factory ammo?? Has the crown at muzzle been nicked??

kippo
    Went through scope and mounts again no better. Called savage they told me 168gr or 180gr bullet. So I bought some sierra 168gr bthp and speer 180gr btsp all I could finnd. Going to load some up tonight and head back to range tomorrow.

did you clean/ removed any copper from the barrel via copper removing agents
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Mach2
    Duplicate exactly what you were doing when you got the tighter groups. Sounds like you are using a different bullet that isn't stabilizing. Scope probs generally show up as missing the paper entirely.

Basic Member
    I have the same setup as you do, 2 screw setup on my 116. I have not had any accuracy issues with mine as far as removing and re-installing the stock but I think I am going to try something a little different and convert it a 9/16" pillar bed system, trim down the accustock craddle so it does not touch the action. Actually did all the measuring a couple days ago. My idea is to make the system a bit more durable and not so torque sensitive.
    Last edited by Jetpig; 11-22-2013 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Additional

kippo
    Well. It seems after much investigation my wife had decided ro clean my reloading area. I use Sierra bthp and had some 125gr bullets that my rifle doesnt like so I had some on the bench making some necklaces and keychains. She tossed them in with the 150 gr bullets. So I spent a hour or so sorting bullets and telling my wife not to even look at my reloading area.

But the 168gr bullets my rifle likes better than the 150g and the 180gr grouped under .75 in so working up another load now.