Thread: Savage 16 FHVSS Range Report Added 3/31/10

GatewayShepherd

Savage 16 FHVSS Range Report Added 3/31/10

Hello,

New to the board and Savage rifles. Decided on a change of pace!
    Accustock, Accutrigger Medium Heavy Fluted barrel .308
    Bone stock at the moment....but not for long.
    Tactical bolt handle, EGW F Class base, Nightforce Ultra-Lite rings already ordered. Going to verify it can shoot up to my expectations before I really tweak it.

[img width=162 height=450]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii42/GatewayShepherd/savage2.jpg[/img]

Paid Member

Re: Savage 16 FHVSS Cabelas's Exclusive

So have you shot it yet, if not please be sure to let us know what groups you get

GatewayShepherd

Re: Savage 16 FHVSS Cabelas's Exclusive

Waiting on scope base, rings and scope before I can give it a run at the range.... I did however get in my Stockade tactical bolt handle..Here is a pic with it installed.

[img width=600 height=401]http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii42/GatewayShepherd/rearpic.jpg[/img]

GatewayShepherd

Re: Savage 16 FHVSS Build Project Updated 3/21/10

Originally I purchased a EGW mount for this gun as I was trying to keep the weight down as low as possible. This however didn't work out as planned. This mount was returned when I realized that I could flex the extended section of it with only moderate thumb pressure. I'm not a structural engineer and can't give you specific data, other then it concerned me that this may effect accuracy by allowing the scope to twist and flex under recoil. I returned it without any problems and ordered a Farrel G-Force mount with integral recoil lug.

I had previously read somewhere that Savage sands / buffs the actions on a wheel before assembly and others have noticed that the front and back halves are not always the same height. I will also add that due to the large cutout for the ejection / loading port it is also very likely that during heat treating they induce a bannana bow into the receiver. Case in point you can also look at the Remmy 700 and find the same thing occuring there also. Farrell's instructions indicate they are also aware of the issue and strongly suggest bedding to remove any stress and prevent bowing of the base to match the action which would subsequently also put the rings out of alignment.

Upon tightening down the rear base screw it was evident that a beedding job was needed. This was easily accomplished with some Brownell's Steel Bed compound and a little prep work.

is that a picatinny base? or compatible with picatinny rings?
    Whenever the legislators endeavor to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people, who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience

GatewayShepherd

Yes it is picatinny. Farrell eliminates the middle slots as for most purposes on a bolt rifle they aren't utilized due to their location and it gives him an area to put his name and model information.

GatewayShepherd

Finally.....Here is the first outing of the Savage 16.
    Current Specs:

Savage 16 FHVSS .308
    Factory Accustock
    Stockade Tactical Bolt
    Farrel G-Force 20moa base
    Nightforce 5.5x22x50 in Nightforce steel rings

First thing I did upon getting it home was run a very tight patch with JB bore paste up and down the barrel 50 times. By the time I was done the difference was easly felt in the smoothness of the strokes. I've done this with all my rifles for years and I believe it helps with break in and initial barrel fouling.

Range Conditions:
    Full Sun 80deg up to 85deg
    Range faces to the East
    Wind from the South 8-11mph

The wind was very tricky today at the range. In general it came out of the South but due to the surrounding woodline it would at times spin in a circle. It had a fairly predictible pattern and it was just a matter of shooting the string in a constant condition or waiting for the lull. But you had better not screw around or it would catch you in a change up.

1st Up::::Federal Gold Medal 168

Multiple Group Average 1.300"

GatewayShepherd

Re: Savage 16 FHVSS Range Report Added 3/31/10

Federal Gold Medal may be recognized as the Gold Standard of ammo...But honestly I've had some amazingly consistent and small group results with Hornandy TAP in multiple rifles over the last couple years.

Next up Hornandy TAP 168gr

Two groups on this one....a .607 and .721

Last up: Remington Match w/ 175gr Sierra .....This also shot extremely well....I only took pics of this one group but it is consistent with the others.

I had some leftover handloads from a previous Remy PSS but the bolt would not close on them....it appeard the Remy had a longer throat but I haven't verified that.

GatewayShepherd

Next up....going to work up some handloads of different flavors.

One thing I did notice is that the narrow forend is a real pain in the butt to keep it steady on the bags....The gun will shoot..but would be easier to control with a wider forend. I might also take out my front benchrest rest and rear bunny bag and try that. I had made a plexiglass sled that bolts to the front swivel stud for another rifle with the same problem as the front rest bag is made for a wide flat forend. Standby for updates!

GatewayShepherd

Ran some handloads thru it today.

178gr. Amax with 42.5gr. of RL19 in Federal Cases with Fed 210M primers....First group went 3 shots in .351"
    I overlayed 6 targets one on top the other and discounting a couple flyers the core group was right at 1/2" for 15 shots. Loaded up some Custom BIB 187gr rounds with 748 and they were way hot!

Spent the night prepping cases for another couple rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by GatewayShepherd
    Next up....going to work up some handloads of different flavors.

One thing I did notice is that the narrow forend is a real pain in the butt to keep it steady on the bags....The gun will shoot..but would be easier to control with a wider forend. I might also take out my front benchrest rest and rear bunny bag and try that. I had made a plexiglass sled that bolts to the front swivel stud for another rifle with the same problem as the front rest bag is made for a wide flat forend. Standby for updates!
    GatewayShepherd check out the Sinclair rifle forearm adapter. I keep one installed on my Model 12 VLP. It really helps when used in a solid front rest with a good Protektor bag!!.

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com...-for-sporters/

Pete K.

DGD6MM

I bought a Sinclair forearm adapter and my buddy made me one out of wood that rides better in the bags. I'd save the $ and make one.

GatewayShepherd

Make one is exactly what I did out of plexiglass. I cut a square, rounded the corners then heated it with a torch and bent the sides up. It works good on my HS Pro Series stock of my big gun, but the Accustock is much narrower. Needs a slight design change. By the way when you heat up plexiglass it bubbles and the finish is rough. I sanded it then put a layer of stock tape from Sinclair Intl. on it to smooth it up. I am right there with you....just needs modification.

And this is as good a time as any to break down and say it...This dam thing will shoot! I'm thinking a Stockade Elk Stalker is in order.