Thread: Savage mod10 BA butt stock options

Basic Member

Savage mod10 BA butt stock options

I have asked this question in various Forums and have yet to find or get an answer to the question. I have a early model10 BA (BAS/T)
    It came with a AR style butt stock A4 I believe. I find it awkward and uncomfortable. the newer ones come with a Mapul PRS butt stock
    I have asked which one is the one to order and will the adapter from the currant stock fit the magpul? I have called Savage and they will give me no part numbers or any info other then they will sell me one. Now I haven't ordered one from them as I live in Canada. and the price they quote is about a $100. more then I can get it here in Canada. plus it is a controlled item and I worry about it getting stuck in US customs. and being out the $400.00 or so. Has anyone done this upgrade and if so what did you order.Thanks for looking, hope I can get an answer

Basic Member
    Is it a standard AR buffer tube for the adapter? If so you can put any AR style adjustable butt stock on it. If it's a fixed style AR stock I have never take one of those apart before. I'm not framiliar with the version of the model 10 you're speaking of though. I could probably tell from a picture. Lots of companies sell them I'm not sure about what's in Canada though.

stangfish
    Lone, Is that a commercial tube or mil spec? I have always been curious about that.

Basic Member
    Either or they function the same. I believe the Mil Spec is just heavier duty. you can even put the aftermarket AR butt stocks on Airsoft guns these days.

stangfish
    I thought there were some differences on the OD.

Basic Member
    I'm not sure about that, but I can't say I measured it. I may have to do some research to see. I would assume they are the same with all these civilian builds I've been seeing come out though. I have a buddy I'm sure will know that I will contact.

Basic Member
    From my buddy a USMC Armorer: The commercial has a slight taper at end and thicker walls and the mil spec has straight back and has a taller lock channel....

Stick with magnul as they design them to fit everything!

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

stangfish
    OK. I found the image I had seen before. There is, according to manufacturing specs .020 on the OD and .o15 on the thread difference???? I had one loose one time that rattled. Made the change and no more rattle.

The CTR picture above is the bare minimum I would use ( I usually replace all the stock buttstocks of my AR carbines with this due to the lock key which grips the tube and eliminates wobble)--but keep in mind your changing the "dynamics" of your weapon to a carbine style stock from a sniper system if going with this kind of stock--I'd stick with the PRS or equivalent. My LRT SASS has one and it's an amazing tack-driver; never fired any weapon that spits accuracy no matter what you feed it like it.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

stangfish
    Thanks for the input therm. The graphic was for the tube only. sorry for the confusion.

Basic Member
    thanks for all the info. I have decided to go ahead and order a Magpul PRS and as I speak it should be on its way. not really sure if it will fit as is but going to try.

Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Thanks for the input therm. The graphic was for the tube only. sorry for the confusion.
    No worries--I''m the confused one. : )
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

mrslippery
    Shortly after I bought my BA I had issues with the cheek riser popping off under recoil. When I contacted Savage I told them about the issue, they wanted to replace the stock. I told them how I was disappointed with the situation and wanted to upgrade to the Magpul stock offered at the time. After the CS rep talked to the manager they upgraded the stock at no charge. They sent the adapter and the stock, the old stock wasn't cataloged any more at that time. Guessing there was to many quality issues with the old stock, hope this helps, Slip.

Basic Member
    was there any kind off indication of what adapter it was part# manufacturer etc?
    Quote Originally Posted by mrslippery View Post
    Shortly after I bought my BA I had issues with the cheek riser popping off under recoil. When I contacted Savage I told them about the issue, they wanted to replace the stock. I told them how I was disappointed with the situation and wanted to upgrade to the Magpul stock offered at the time. After the CS rep talked to the manager they upgraded the stock at no charge. They sent the adapter and the stock, the old stock wasn't cataloged any more at that time. Guessing there was to many quality issues with the old stock, hope this helps, Slip.

Basic Member
    mrslippery As soon I say Canada Savage do's not want to deal with me I have to go through the Canadian importer which in my case with an other Savage rifle is like talking to a wall, no info no reply (unless you bug the heck out of them, and then just to say rifle is at gunsmith center. and after 6 or 8 emails to gunsmith just a short email saying they have rifle and that's it)It was just over a year, no word on what they did or what the problem was.

mrslippery
    Quote Originally Posted by wce323078 View Post
    mrslippery As soon I say Canada Savage do's not want to deal with me I have to go through the Canadian importer which in my case with an other Savage rifle is like talking to a wall, no info no reply (unless you bug the heck out of them, and then just to say rifle is at gunsmith center. and after 6 or 8 emails to gunsmith just a short email saying they have rifle and that's it)It was just over a year, no word on what they did or what the problem was.
    That's unfortunate, the adapter was provided from Savage. If you could get a schematic of the rifle you could possibly get the number there. I'll check my paperwork in my box, but I don't have access til our holiday weekend, at then I doubt it there's since mind was a BAS/K stock to begin with. Slip.