Thread: Bedding an Accustock question

justeric

Bedding an Accustock question

I have a Savage 10 FCP - K in 308. I'm considering bedding the Accustock and wondered if I need to cut out any of the aluminum block to do this. I looked on Youtube for any videos on the bedding an Accustock without any luck. Can you please point me to information on bedding an Accustock?

Thanks,
    Eric

davemuzz
    Accustocks are built with the aluminum block and designed so that bedding isn't required. Your action should rest on the aluminum block and your barrel should be completely free floating.

Dave

stangfish
    Is there a particular reason for wanting to bed the rifle?

justeric
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Is there a particular reason for wanting to bed the rifle?
    I'd like to start by saying my gun shoots sub MOA with hand loaded 308's. I am happy with it's performance but am thinking about doing some changes. First, I am going to buy a 6.5 x 47 or 6.5 Creedmore drop in barrel. I'm going to change to one of those cartridges for the added performance when shooting paper/steel out to 1000 yards. As part of that upgrade, I am considering buying a Manners Stock that can accommodate my after market 10 round mag. The stock will cost around $550 so I'm thinking maybe I could just bed the Accustock and stick with it for a while. I'm not sure that bedding an Accurstock will improve performance but I suspect it will.

Does anyone know if bedding an Accustock is worth the effort?

Thanks,
    Eric

stangfish
    You can do anything your heart desires so to me asking if it is worth the effort is subjective. I do things for my own edification sometimes. It is how I learn my boundaries. If I were to aproach that task I would look to fill in the majority of the void. Might even buy a bedding block and machine it to fit and epoxy it in.
    Last edited by stangfish; 11-16-2013 at 02:13 AM.

justeric
    You can do anything your heart desires so to me asking if it is worth the effort is subjective. I do things for my own edification sometimes. It is how I learn my boundaries. If I wer to aprouch that task I would look to fill in the majority of the void. Might even buy a bedding block and machine it to fit and epoxy it in.
    What is with the attitude? I asked a simple question. You point out I can do anything my heart desires. No need to tell me that. And yes, I am looking for others subjective opinions. Then you go on to say that you do things for your own edification as if bedding a Savage Accustock is not worth the time. It would be helpful if you just said that instead of being insulting. I see you have posted a lot on the forum. I hope the majority of your posts are not as condescending.

My question still stands for everyone else, is it worth bedding an Accustock?

Thanks,
    Eric

Basic Member
    Attitude???? I thought he was quite considerate. After all , you asked for opinions.
    As for your question... I would not waste my time or effort bedding an accustock.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Brent
    I have considered this same subject. My rifle is kind of funny. With Target VLDs that have a small bearing surface my 6.5-284 shoots very tight groups IMO. I have shot numerous 5 shot groups at .25 or less, at 200 yards. My hunting VLDs are shooting .3 to .375 groups. These are both 140 and 160 grain bullets. The question I have is similar to yours. Can it or will it shoot better? A couple of things I have not played with but you might, is torque on the screws and in what order. I simply torqued front to back and back forth to 45inch lbs.

From what little I know about the accustock and found during research is that few people actually realized a benefit from bedding.

My take though is this: these are mass produced stocks and not all are equal. I might have a good one or decent one and you may not. So perhaps if you were to look at the mating surfaces of the action and stock the wear pattern will tell you what you should do. I am thinking about this as well. I have 800 rounds down range and have not pulled the stock off to look at the contact points. Honestly, I have been a little scared I will screw up my accuracy and lose what I have. LOL.

justeric
    Ahh, the 6.5 -284. I think that takes a long action so I can't use that on my gun. I hear it's a barrel burner also. But, I also hear it is an outstanding cartridge.

I think I am going to limit myself to a 6.5 x 47 or a 6.5 Creedmore. I would like to go to a 260 or 260 Improved but I don't think I can use the longer bullets in my mag. Too bad since I think they are better cartridges than the 6.5 x 47 or the 6.5 Creedmore.

I'm not upset with my guns performance. I'm just trying to figure out if bedding the AccuStock is a step most take when accessorizing their guns. It sort of sounds like it's not.

I think my plan of action will be to re barrel the gun in a 6.5 cartridge and then see how it shoots. If I get it down to 1/2 MOA at 100 yards I will probably stop there. If the gun is shooting in the 3/4 to 1 inch territory, I'll probably switch my stock out for a Manners Stock and hope that makes a difference.

If I were getting accuracy like your getting, I would be afraid to chase that last little bit of accuracy also. Of course if the stock is not comfortable, that's another reason to switch.

Thanks,
    Eric

Brent
    Good point about comfort. I added a raised cheek rest I made from piece of pipe I split and then heated to creat a U shape. I put high density foam inside the U and tape it to the stock with about .75 raise. I then cover this entire mess with a neoprene sock. This rest allows me to line up well with my NF 5.5-22x56 optic. Without, it would be miserable for sure. I take the piece off for cleaning, retape when done. It turned out pretty good for redneck engineering I suppose. There is a picture of the rifle on the site somewhere.

As far as barrel burning, could be. I scoped it and can not see any issues so far. Run out is the same. Accuracy is good. I run my loads hot as well. I was getting 2970-3000 consistently but I backed off the charge a little and am at 2940 now. I have 9 reloads on the Lapau brass and so far so good. If a guy shoots a lot the 260 or other chambers you mentioned should be better for barrel life. My next barrel will be 26" and I am hoping for speeds at 3000 consistently. That or I will go 6.5 sherman or SIN. 3200 and 3400 with 140 pills, respectively.

I think either of the chamberings you are looking at will be outstanding and serve you very well. I am curious about your findings regarding the stock though. I have a 204 that shoots lights out, consistenly under .20. Never have even had the stock off to see what is inside. My buddy has a 260 LRP with the HS and it is shooting .375 MOA groups. It seems savage has built a great stock. Just try and play with the torque settings and see what happens, if you are OK with the stock. If not, heck ya, get a Manners or other fancy stock.

Basic Member
    davemuzz answered your question right off the bat. But maybe you missed it? The main reason for aluminum bedding blocks is so we "don't have to glass bed the action" IMHO. But some people do it, "and" some people glue the action permently into the stock. Weather this is helpful or not is personal and subjective. When I first saw the Accustock, I thought "great idea, I have to have one". But now that I know what it is and does, it is just another "stock" stock, to be replaced when the funds permit. IMHO, the best action installation is the "stress free" method, but the Accustock works off stress. If I were to pick up a used Accustock rifle, I would ASAP replace it with a Boyds ThumbHole, or better. I have a B & C Medilast Tac/Varmint that cannot be improved on as far as mounting the action,IMHO. I have reshaped it a bit, to fit me, and a stock like this can be had for about $250, to your door. You can pay $500 plus for a Manners, or $1,000 plus for a "chassis" system, but neither will make the rifle shoot any better than my $250 investment, " as far as the stocks are concerned". The "Accutrigger" is a success, the "Accustock", not so much, IMHO. But, be a pioneer (it's already been done,I'm sure) and let us know how it works. Good Luck-Good Shooting

justeric
    Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    davemuzz answered your question right off the bat. But maybe you missed it? The main reason for aluminum bedding blocks is so we "don't have to glass bed the action" IMHO. But some people do it, "and" some people glue the action permently into the stock. Weather this is helpful or not is personal and subjective. When I first saw the Accustock, I thought "great idea, I have to have one". But now that I know what it is and does, it is just another "stock" stock, to be replaced when the funds permit. IMHO, the best action installation is the "stress free" method, but the Accustock works off stress. If I were to pick up a used Accustock rifle, I would ASAP replace it with a Boyds ThumbHole, or better. I have a B & C Medilast Tac/Varmint that cannot be improved on as far as mounting the action,IMHO. I have reshaped it a bit, to fit me, and a stock like this can be had for about $250, to your door. You can pay $500 plus for a Manners, or $1,000 plus for a "chassis" system, but neither will make the rifle shoot any better than my $250 investment, " as far as the stocks are concerned". The "Accutrigger" is a success, the "Accustock", not so much, IMHO. But, be a pioneer (it's already been done,I'm sure) and let us know how it works. Good Luck-Good Shooting
    I looked at the B & C Stock but I could only get one with a blind mag for the Savage 10 FCP - K. The gun is going to be used for tactical matches so I'm going to need detachable mag. Next step up that can hold the 10 FCP - K and will work with a detachable mag is the Manners. I think the Manners has an aluminum block but the suggest that you bed the action anyway.

Thanks,
    Eric

Basic Member
    Cool! Please let us know how the Manners shoots! Thanks......Jim

davemuzz
    Well, I've been following the post on this matter. And if I were going to do anything with the accustock, I think I would take a "transfer agent" and apply it to the receiver, and then make sure that most of the action is actually resting against the aluminum block when it's torqued to the spec's. A small stone or file will eventually get you there, and after all, a solid contact between the receiver and the stock is really what your looking for anyway. That's what gives you a consistent barrel harmonics. Or at least…..we keep telling ourselves that. And there must be some truth to it…..'cause every time we bed an action, or snug one up against a machined aluminum block, we get tighter groups.

Dave

stangfish
    Justeric, I am sorry you thought I had an attitude. I honestly don't see it in my post. I have rubbed some the wrong way. You do that when you post as much as I do, most of them tried to read my inflection through typed words, some were looking for trouble. On my scouts honor you will never misread my opinions on one of your questions again. Best of luck on finding a solution to your question.
    Last edited by stangfish; 11-16-2013 at 02:27 AM.

justeric
    Justeric, I am sorry you thought I had an attitude. I honestly don't see it in my post. I have rubbed some the wrong way. You do that when you post as much as I do, most of them tried to read my inflection through typed words, some were looking for trouble. On my scouts honor you will never misread my opinions on one of your questions again. Best of luck on finding a solution to your question.
    Thanks for the explanation and sorry about my reaction. I was probably being over sensitive.

davemuzz
    Quote Originally Posted by justeric View Post
    Thanks for the explanation and sorry about my reaction. I was probably being over sensitive.
    That's one thing the inter-woven net does. It can't convey any type of either sarcasm, or mid-level seriousness in a post. But that's all Al Gore's fault 'cause he invented everything. OTOH, Stangfish….or "the stinger" as he is know in "rap circles" is a smooth guy. He's been compared to 20 grit sandpaper on a 15,0000 RPM Dremel. And you just can't find it much smooder dan dat!!

Dave

stangfish
    Thanks Dave.

I just recently added that model to my savage collection. While taking the stock off to have a look under the hood for my won 2 eyes to see.....the stock exterior has much to be desired, but the aluminum block that the action rest on is spot on.(after all--thats what counts)
    Personally?..... I wouldnt spend any unessessary $$$ on bedding the accustock. Id rather put it on a "well built" replacment stock that best fits your needs.
    I went the Choate Tactical Stock and I must say.....for the money/fit/bedding block, and the features?.....Im impressed.
    My street smart common sense tells me that having the most expensive this and that does not make one a better shooter...but hey?.....If you,ve got deep pockets?................go for it. You only live once.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Guys,

I'm beginning to get the idea there are some personal insults and jabs in this thread....hard to say for sure, but it needs to be cleared up one way or the other. It may be tongue in cheek joking but it could be misunderstood to be something else too.

Watch it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by justeric View Post
    I have a Savage 10 FCP - K in 308. I'm considering bedding the Accustock and wondered if I need to cut out any of the aluminum block to do this. I looked on Youtube for any videos on the bedding an Accustock without any luck. Can you please point me to information on bedding an Accustock?

Thanks,
    Eric
    I'm not trying be a smart arse but isn't bedding an accustock like bedding a chassis system? I have an accustock and at this time, with the way it shoots, the only other stock I want to try is a chassis.

Basic Member
    I thought the accustock slightly expanded when the screws were tightened ? Would that not make the bedding separate ?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chukarmandoo View Post
    I'm not trying be a smart arse but isn't bedding an accustock like bedding a chassis system? I have an accustock and at this time, with the way it shoots, the only other stock I want to try is a chassis.
    After having accustock I will only deal with stocks that have the aluminum block in them such as the chassis systems, Choate, or Whidden gun works at the top of my list.

As for bedding separation when tightening hardware in an accustock I have not seen that. I bedded a buddies just as an experiment and there was no noticeable difference. But I bet there is some deflection probably not much in the accustock block during the torqueing.

davemuzz
    Thanks Dave.
    Stangfish, I honestly hope my post came across as complete sarcasm. It was my intent to infuse some humor into this post as I doubt you listen to rap music (But maybe you do…and frankly, some people I know do listen to it as they like the rhyming..some I know like country….I'm just an old rock 'n roll guy myself) and I've never found any of your post to be abrasive in any manor. Funny at times. Asking questions to get to the root of an issue and offer constructive advice…..but no dremel\20 grit sandpaper stuff.

My apologies if I came across any differently.

Dave

davemuzz
    BTW, I was reading this thread earlier about the correct way to tighten the accustock. Interesting read as I've never had to remove my action from the accustock….but if I do I will now have to find this post and read the "how to tighten the accustock for dummies" thread.

Here's the post: http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...le-advice-from

But then, there may be a sticky that has this.

But then, maybe there should be a sticky that says " "Sticky for dummies who can't remember what or where the permanent stickies are located." It could also say like "Man….are you getting old…do you forget where you parked your truck on a daily basis?" But if the forum guys start asking this stuff……I'm gonna have way too many "yes" answers.

Dave