Thread: Action diameter

Action diameter

Does anybody know the diameter of the Savage action?

Basic Member
    1.350"
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Basic Member
    I don't know where they came up with 1.380"

Maybe they need to invest in standards to verify their mics /calibers or learn how to use them!
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.

Maybe I don't know. I didn't post that to try and dissprove your measurements just thought it would be helpful as it had lots of other specs as well.

stangfish
    I thought the same thing as billpa. All of mine are very close to what he has plus or minus some flatspots from the centerless sander.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    Maybe I don't know. I didn't post that to try and dissprove your measurements just thought it would be helpful as it had lots of other specs as well.
    Oh, I didn't mean you were wrong Stomp , just what they posted was. I apologize if it came out the way.

All of mine are very close to what he has plus or minus some flatspots from the centerless sander.
    Its why I say its pure outhouse luck if mounts actually fit a receiver. I've has a few the ring varied a few thousandths front to back!

Bill

Basic Member
    Anybody know where you can find the specs for other rifle actions to compare their sizes?

stangfish
    The Remington footprint is the same diameter. Other actions are designed much different. The Mouser, Winchester, Howa/Weatherby and others have the recoil lug built into the actions, most with flat bottoms.

Borden, Surgeon and others have Rem footprint and a flat bottom design both. Just look up the riffle you want to see and click on pictures/photos in the search engine.

Basic Member
    Yes I was aware of those differences. I was meaning basic diameter. I just thought there might be somewhere that had a listing of each one. In particular I'd like to know how much bigger a Weatherby Mark V is over a Savage/Remington/Winchester size receiver. It's been a long time since I've looked at one in person and just wondered how much beefier they were to accommodate the 375 size cases. The CZ 550 Magnum size action would be in that class too.

Savage used to offer factory rifles chambered in .375H&H and you can still get them today via the Custom Shop. Winchester also offered the .375H&H in their standard Model 70 action for decades, and I'm sure Remington's made a few standard Model 700's chambered for the cartridge as well over the years. This leads to the question, why do you think you'd need a beefier action for the 375's case size?
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by efm77 View Post
    I'd like to know how much bigger a Weatherby Mark V is over a Savage/Remington/Winchester size receiver
    I my memory serves me correctly the Weatherby Mark V receivers had/have 1.375" diameter rings. One of the 'smiths I worked with made a few 1.500" customs, basically overgrown 700s.

I'm sure Remington's made a few standard Model 700's chambered for the cartridge as well over the years.
    Yes, and time they offered two Classics the same year chambered for the 375 H&H and 458WM.

Anybody know where you can find the specs for other rifle actions to compare their sizes?
    Here are the exterior dimensions for the Rem 700 SA.

Bill

Basic Member
    J. Baker, that was a typo I missed. I meant the 378 size cases. I know a 375 H&H and any derivatives will fit the Savage just fine. Sorry about that. I know the Mark V is bigger as is the CZ 550 Magnum, Montana 1999 Professional Hunter etc. I just thought there might be a listing available online somewhere that compared the different sizes and shear areas of the locking lugs.