Thread: shortening stock on model 11

jerkin

shortening stock on model 11

I have a 243 for my daughter but the plastic stock is too long. I tried finding a youth stock but haven't had any luck finding one for a removable magazine. My next thought was to cut it but I can foresee a few problems and haven't been able to find any answers searching here. First, if I cut 1 1/2" off the stock it will be close to the lugs that the recoil pad screws to so I would have to trim those back also and am not sure the best way to go about it. Second, the recoil pad is probably going to be to large, is there a way to trim it down? Thanks guys.

Basic Member
    You can epoxy a block of wood in the stock, then reinstall the pad. Then just grind the pad to fit.

jerkin
    I cut it down last night but don't like how the recoil pad fits. I didn't do the block of wood, I just used a dremel and cut the lugs back into the stock just like they were and ground down the pad to fit back inside the stock. It works fine and fits her way better but the part of the pad you can see overhangs and doesn't look very good. I did touch it on the grinder to see if I could use that to trim it but it tears it up pretty good. Just not sure how to trim that foam and make it look decent. Any other ideas or pictures of what you guys have done would be great.

Freeze the pad then grind, should work better.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

thomae
    Freeze the pad, then use a bench-type belt sander and keep the belt moistened with WD-40. Makes a mess, so you might want to do it outside, especially if the temp is below freezing.

I invested in a Miles Gilbert jig for recoil pads when it was on sale at Midwayusa. It was definitely worth the money. It has allowed me to make professional-looking custom fit recoil pads for two rifles so far.

I have one I took a couple of inches off of when I did a carbine build. I had to relocate the sling stud, and I wound up rebuilding the pieces the screws go into with JB weld to make better purchase for the screws. I used a light coat of shoe polish as release agent for the screws. I started off trying to file the pad down to fit with a hand file and wound up with a belt sander. The belt sander is the way to go.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.