Thread: Savage Model 11 VT Aftermarket Stock Question

JMitchell

Savage Model 11 VT Aftermarket Stock Question

I recently purchased a Savage Model 11 VT in .308 caliber. This is a dealer exclusive through Dick's Sporting Goods. It is a model 11 short action, heavy 24 inch barrel, detachable centerfeed plastic magazine, and an accutrigger but not an accustock. The bolt release is located in the trigger guard. With all the applicable discounts I was able to purchase this rifle for $498.00 out the door - $25.00 background check fee, tax, all included. I don't really "need" another rifle but that was too good a deal to pass up. The rifle also comes with a Bushnell 4-12 scope. I am going to sell the scope, because I have a Sightron SIII in my gun safe that I am going to mount on it instead. I also want to replace the stock, which brings me to my question.

I want to replace the factory plastic stock with a HS Precision varmint stock (# PSV118). According to the HSP website, this stock will fit a savage short action with a detachable magazine. However, my rifle has the bolt release in the triggerguard versus the side of the reciever, and I have heard this may not allow my rifle to fit in certain stocks?

Since my rifle is a non catalogued dealer exclusive, and I had a question about the position of the bolt release, I decided to call HS Precision and ask them if my savage rifle would fit their stock. Let just say the person I talked to as HSP was less than enthusiastic to talk to me, and was not particularly helpful. I was disappointed. I then called Stocky's Stocks and recieved better assistance. I was told my rifle "should" fit in the HSP #PSV118 stock but some "minor" fitting might be required. I was hoping to hear that my Savage action would simply drop into the stock with certainty. The fact that I am being told it should fit, possibly with minor modifications, makes me a little nervous. So, I thought I would put this question out on this forum before I plunk down the money for an HS stock. Will the HS stock, specifically (#PSV118) fit my savage action?

stangfish
    The bottom bolt release requires a slightly wider inlet for the trigger guard as well as some material to be removed from the trigger slot, I believe on the right side to accommodate the linkage and "seer extension". If you have a Dremel with a sanding drum and a burr, it is no big deal.

JMitchell
    Thanks for the info, I can handle some minor dremeling of the stock.

I just read the article on this site regarding savage detachable magazines. It was the most informative article I have found on the internet. I wish I had located it earlier. Based on my reading of the article, I had a couple of additional questions:

In the Dick's Sporting Goods Savage model 11VT, the magazine box (i.e. surround) is plastic and the magazine is plastic (I don't have a problem with this as long as it works reliably). From the article I read on this site, the plastic magazine in the current model 11 is an Axis type magazine. That's interesting because when I examined the rifle in the store and saw the magazine was plastic I asked the sales person if it the rifle was equipped with an Axis magazine and I was told it was not. So the information I got at the store appears to be inacurrate (I am not really surprised). That's not a problem for me as long as the magazine is reliable. . .

So, in terms of aftermarket stocks, does it make any difference whether a Savage is equipped with the plastic magazine assembly versus the metal one? Is the inletting the same so that both the metal and plastic detachable magazine equipped rifles can use the same aftermarket stock?

stangfish
    Axis Type = having a plastic cap with a plastic retainer and release.

Yes