Thread: HSM Factory Ammo Question

HSM Factory Ammo Question

When I purchased my Hog Hunter from Cabelas last week, I bought some factory rounds, including a box of 168 gn. Sierra BTHP in .308 from HSM. Box was marked s such and also said "Range". They shot well and I noted that they use LC brass; headstamped 03 , 06 and 07. I de-capped last evening and did a preliminary inspection of the brass- seems good to go for reloading.

I went on their website to learn more and got somewhat confused; because of the age and mixture of LC brass I wondered if they (HSM) used once fired brass in their reloads? IF they do, I wonder why they do not state same on the box?

The website says; they have been a "major" supplier to law enforcement, security and other similar organizations inn years past. The website ALSO states they have a customer brass "buy-back" program.

Anyone know the inside scoop on this company. What I really need to know is can I be reasonably certain / safe in using their brass to re-load? I'm a newby reloader and want to start and continue with safety and proper procedure in mind at ALL times.

Thanks for any info. - Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

I'm lookin at a box of HSM berger VLD as I write this--all the cases are stamped "FC" not "LC" and apparently there is a difference. Anyway, you may or may not have that--in any case--so to speak--check whether or not you have primer pocket crimps. The FC stuff apparently is vulnerable to quick wear due to thin-walled primer pockets; though that may or may not be the case with newer stuff.
    [B][COLOR="#FF8C00"]Shooting--it's like high-speed golf[/COLOR][/B]

Quote Originally Posted by thermaler View Post
    I'm lookin at a box of HSM berger VLD as I write this--all the cases are stamped "FC" not "LC" and apparently there is a difference. Anyway, you may or may not have that--in any case--so to speak--check whether or not you have primer pocket crimps. The FC stuff apparently is vulnerable to quick wear due to thin-walled primer pockets; though that may or may not be the case with newer stuff.
    Hi Thermaler- The head stamp is definitely "LC", I'll check the primer pockets more closely in a little while. When de-capping and re-sizing it did not require extra effort; but I don't think you can always go by that as far as crimped primers..thanks will get back on this...Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

Basic Member
    If it is LC brass then it is good brass. I have some that i have loaded more than 15 times and are still going strong. All i have done is trim and anneal the necks.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    Im guessing its once fired brass, for 18 bucks I didn't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by earl39 View Post
    If it is LC brass then it is good brass. I have some that i have loaded more than 15 times and are still going strong. All i have done is trim and anneal the necks.
    Thanks- that's what I felt too. Speaking of annealing- I need to do a lookup on that. Hoping I have the equipment and skill sets to do that; seems important to case life.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by mazroth View Post
    Im guessing its once fired brass, for 18 bucks I didn't complain.
    +1 ! I just wondered because of the stamped years of manufacture if it could have multiple re-loads on it. On close inspection it looks very healthy, albeit dirty...Brian

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercrow1 View Post
    Speaking of annealing- I need to do a lookup on that. Hoping I have the equipment and skill sets to do that; seems important to case life.

Brian
    This is a decent setup for the price. http://www.cartridgeanneal.com/

Bill
    Each morning eat a live green toad, it will be the worst thing you'll have face all day.