Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can a custom Savage shoot consistently under 0.25 MOA, or the action is the limit?

Basic Member

Can a custom Savage shoot consistently under 0.25 MOA, or the action is the limit?

Assuming the shooter is not a variable; can a custom Savage be built in a way that it will shoot consistent sub 0.25 groups?

1.I’m thinking that the Savage action wouldn't allow this kind of accuracy. A custom action might be required (with tighter tolerance and a shorter lock time).
    2.If you think the Savage action could allow to achieve this kind of accuracy, then how would you build the rifle?
    Savage target action for more rigidity?
    Timing the action?
    Different trigger?
    Prefit barrel vs Custom barrel?
    Chassis stock vs aluminum bedding (like a B&C A2)?

1/4 moa out to how far? as you know it takes a lot more than just the rifle to consistantly shoot under 1/4 moa, and the components used vary depending upon its intended use.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

Basic Member
    Can a custom Savage shoot a 1/4" group? Sure, some. After all, I have 2 Axis rifles and a Model 110 that will each average under 1/2" with at least one factory load, so no reason a good custom plus some well-crafted handloads wouldn't do better. But I don't think anyone would claim they all will. Generally speaking, I think the barrel is a far more critical factor than the action when it comes to accuracy and, of course, the shooter is the most critical factor of all.

Basic Member

Re

Im pretty sure mine will shoot that consistently.I cannot is the only issue.My gunsmith that bedded my gun shot 5 .25 moa groups with my gun 4 out of five groups.My gun started life as a 112 25-06 and is now a 280 rem.SSS Timed trued action,trigger,bolt handle,and bolt fluting.Northland recoil lug.I had Sinarms Chamber Brux 1/9 twist varmit blank for me.Sit it in a Mcmillian stock that was pillar bedded.Talley bases,rings.Leupold 6.5x20x50mm scope.Here is a few targets from breakin shot by me.(which im still learning)

Assuming the shooter is not a variable; can a custom Savage be built in a way that it will shoot consistent sub 0.25 groups?
    Yes.
    Last edited by wbm; 11-06-2013 at 06:47 PM.

stangfish
    Some factory savages have done that.

I have said this before and I will say it again. I would put my custom built savage match rifles up against anything and I do so on a monthly basis. I don't win every time but I do come out on top fairly regularly. Sure makes people mad that my $1200 savage just beat the pants off their $4500 custom.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    I have said this before and I will say it again. I would put my custom built savage match rifles up against anything and I do so on a monthly basis. I don't win every time but I do come out on top fairly regularly. Sure makes people mad that my $1200 savage just beat the pants off their $4500 custom.
    It must be that you're a good shooter, and not necessarily that you’re rifle is more accurate than the rest.
    Maybe if you change your rig to a custom $4500, you would win every time. Who knows.

Basic Member
    Yes. My 308 does when I do things right.

Basic Member
    I'll let you know how my custom Axis does this weekend.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Team Savage
    Every one of my "Custom" barreled Savage rifles will do that. 5 shot groups from 100 yards that can be covered with a dime on a pretty consistant basis. And sometimes even better!
    20 VT
    20 VT "short"
    .221 Fireball
    22 BR
    6 BR
    6.8 SPC
    6.8 BR
    Gets kinda boring after a while.
    Thought of a "High $$" action to build from but why bother?
    Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 11-06-2013 at 03:36 PM.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Quote Originally Posted by pisgah View Post
    Can a custom Savage shoot a 1/4" group? Sure, some. After all, I have 2 Axis rifles and a Model 110 that will each average under 1/2" with at least one factory load, so no reason a good custom plus some well-crafted handloads wouldn't do better. But I don't think anyone would claim they all will. Generally speaking, I think the barrel is a far more critical factor than the action when it comes to accuracy and, of course, the shooter is the most critical factor of all.
    +1.......
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Some factory savages have done that.
    +1..........
    {John Wayne}

Quote Originally Posted by kevin1 View Post
    It must be that you're a good shooter, and not necessarily that you’re rifle is more accurate than the rest.
    Maybe if you change your rig to a custom $4500, you would win every time. Who knows.
    It takes an accurate rifle to be competitive and it takes doping the wind to win. You can have a rifle that shoots in the .2s all day but if you can't dope the wind might as well stay home and save your ammo.

bodywerks
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin1 View Post

1.I’m thinking that the Savage action wouldn't allow this kind of accuracy. A custom action might be required (with tighter tolerance and a shorter lock time).
    2.If you think the Savage action could allow to achieve this kind of accuracy, then how would you build the rifle?
    Savage target action for more rigidity?
    Timing the action?
    Different trigger?
    Prefit barrel vs Custom barrel?
    Chassis stock vs aluminum bedding (like a B&C A2)?
    If you take the shooter out of the equation then lock time nor the trigger would have an affect on accuracy.
    Timing the action will not affect groups either.
    A factory action, a good stock, bedded or chassis system, and good quality prefit barrel from a reputable maker should have no problem shooting 1/4 minute. It's always going to be the shooter or the ammo consistency that will have the biggest affect on group size beyond that, though.
    Last edited by bodywerks; 11-06-2013 at 06:13 PM.

davemuzz
    Not only can a custom one do this, but a factory one will do it as well.

Dave

Basic Member
    **** straight they can!

bodywerks
    Quote Originally Posted by davemuzz View Post
    Not only can a custom one do this, but a factory one will do it as well.

Dave
    Can, yes. Will, no guarantee.

Basic Member
    My 308 was doing it stock with hand loads, I have since made some changes and it will still do it when I do it.

Basic Member
    I have two savages that will. A 25-06 factory 110fp in a duramaxx and a 25-06ai with a pacnor barrel, tuned 3 screw trigger and a stockys laminate thumbhole

Quote Originally Posted by stomp442 View Post
    It takes an accurate rifle to be competitive and it takes doping the wind to win. You can have a rifle that shoots in the .2s all day but if you can't dope the wind might as well stay home and save your ammo.
    couldnt agree more. only way to dope for wind is to get out there and have at it.
    I know that here in southwest tx, wind is a constant and its help,d me make better judgment calls when dailing up for winds. really makes my day when sending a round out to 1K and hitting on the 1st shot. course, it doesnt happen all the time, but when it does?.......
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    I can see that none of you guys actually shoot registered competition.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Would like to. :)

I shoot quite a bit, though.

Are you saying if I shot registered competition, I'd find out consistent .25 moa is tougher (or maybe something different) than I think?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    I want to but there is hardly ever anything local. Seems like everything I have to go to Houston, ok city, or go to Missouri.

Yes competition is a different ball game. Right now I can wait till the wind is right and everything feels good. I have wanted to go shoot one of the silhouette shoots or f/tr.

davemuzz
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    Registered Competition….what's that? Wind? I live in South Western Pa where the land goes from 1,000ft to 3,500 feet above sea level in a 40 minuet drive. Oh, and its not a flat drive….I think those are called undulations.

Dave

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast