Thread: Any Hog Hunter 223 owners...have a quick question re: EGW base.

Any Hog Hunter 223 owners...have a quick question re: EGW base.

I just ordered my 223 Hog Hunter today and am looking toward the EGW Picatinny as my base. My questions is: With the funkiness of the loading on the single stack blind mag, does the EGW rail get in the way?
    Any input is highly desirable before I run off and make my purchase.
    Thanks,
    Doc

Basic Member
    I used a two piece base and its still a little difficult at times, especially with gloves. If you can stand waiting, I'd recommend mocking it up first once you get the rifle to see if you can live with a one piece base. But you'll love the gun! I am addicted to mine.

Thanks for the info. The other route I thought about was to go with the two piece bases and some See Through rings for fast transition to the iron sights if needed.

I just ordered these http://www.midwayusa.com/product/665...versible-front from midway. I'm going to try them out with my Nikon P series see through rings and see where it gets me.

Basic Member
    Those look like nice bases. Let me know how you like the see through rings. I went with the thought process of getting my scope as low as possible. So, the irons are useless. Well, I think they look good. Ha.

wlleven
    Quote Originally Posted by SK13R View Post
    Those look like nice bases. Let me know how you like the see through rings. I went with the thought process of getting my scope as low as possible. So, the irons are useless. Well, I think they look good. Ha.
    Sk13R,

I too have my scope (1-3 variable Weaver Classic) on low quick detach Leupold rings.

I used a Weaver two piece mount and it works fine. Midway does sell a mount made by Ironsighter that is cut out over the action so you can have easier access to loading and unloading your rifle.

wll

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by recondoc View Post
    I just ordered these http://www.midwayusa.com/product/665...versible-front from midway. I'm going to try them out with my Nikon P series see through rings and see where it gets me.
    Those are the ones I would recommend as well.

Check out the Talley line of one piece base and rings. I believe they come in only aluminum and with torx head screws and, with your .223 blind mag you should have plenty of room for loading....Those are my next mounts....And be sure to lap them...Have fun...(Hint)...Order with your credit card all 3 heights choose the set that fits your needs best, then send the other 2 sets back and they will credit your card for the full price of the 2 returned sets ....Here is the link.... http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/c...controller.cgi
    Last edited by Benh; 12-08-2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Additional Info.

Weaver Base

Weaver piccatinny tactical bases are tapered on the right side above the port to accommodate the loading task unlike the EGW. Weaver has better engineering features than EGW also, better looking and a little less expensive. And says MADE IN THE USA right on the side....Here is the link.... http://www.weaveroptics.com/rings_ba...lti-slot_base/

Gypsyrt
    I have the EGW rail on mine and love it QD rings on the optic and you can see the irons very well over the top of the rail