Thread: A question about Savage 10/110 vs Axis Actions ?

wlleven

A question about Savage 10/110 vs Axis Actions ?

I have a few Savages (Mod 10's and 11's) and love them, but was wondering about the AXIS. I have seen quite a few folks making long range target guns and varmint guns out of the Axis action.

Questions !

1) Is the action as stiff as a Savage? I don't know, it may be stiffer ?
    2) Does it use the same barrel nut as a Savage ?
    3) Will Savage after market barrels fit a Axis ?
    4) Can the trigger be as finely set as a Savage, can a used Accu-Trigger be installed ?
    5) The action is one length, is there a built in stop for shorter cartridges or does the bolt go all the way back as a long action stroke ?
    6) Is there any accuracy differences between the two actions ?

Just questions, in case I should fall on a deal ;- )

wll
    Last edited by thomae; 11-11-2013 at 04:52 PM.

thomae
    Answers: (By the way, the Axis is a Savage. )

I could hazard a guess that it is stiffer due to the solid top and side, but in real life, for me it does not make a discernible difference.

Yes. Small shank barrel nuts will fit the Axis.

Savage Small shank barrels will fit nicely.

4) Can the trigger be as finely set as a Savage, can a used Accu-Trigger be installed ?

The trigger can be worked on and I have set mine to be as good (IMHO) as the non-accutrigger savage trigger. It will not be the equal the older three-screw trigger nor the accutrigger.
    With some slight modification, an accutrigger can be installed in an Axis. Check
    here for more information.

5) The action is one length, is there a built in stop for shorter cartridges or does the bolt go all the way back as a long action stroke ?

On my .223 Axis, the bolt goes all the way back. I would guess that an extended front baffle could be used to limit rearward bolt travel, but this is supposition, not fact, as I have not tried it.

I do not know if there is an inherent accuracy difference, but if there is, in real life, for me it does not make a discernible difference.

wlleven
    Quote Originally Posted by thomae View Post
    Answers: (By the way, the Axis is a Savage. )

I could hazard a guess that it is stiffer due to the solid top and side, but in real life, for me it does not make a discernible difference.

Yes. Small shank barrel nuts will fit the Axis.

Savage Small shank barrels will fit nicely.

The trigger can be worked on and I have set mine to be as good (IMHO) as the non-accutrigger savage trigger. It will not be the equal the older three-screw trigger nor the accutrigger.
    With some slight modification, an accutrigger can be installed in an Axis. Check
    here for more information.

On my .223 Axis, the bolt goes all the way back. I would guess that an extended front baffle could be used to limit rearward bolt travel, but this is supposition, not fact, as I have not tried it.

I do not know if there is an inherent accuracy difference, but if there is, in real life, for me it does not make a discernible difference.
    Thank you for your reply.

PS: I did not know if this thread was to be in a Savage or Axis, thank you for moving it as it pertains more to the Axis line than the Savage line.

wll

Basic Member
    Further info on question 5:

The Axis has an adjustable baffle on the bolt. This changes the stroke between the long and short action cartridges.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    Further info on question 5:

The Axis has an adjustable baffle on the bolt. This changes the stroke between the long and short action cartridges.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using Tapatalk 2

But, not much. The baffle on my .223 is less than 1/4" longer than the one on my .270. Not much of a bolt-throw reduction, but I don't mind the long bolt travel.

stangfish
    A question that was not asked was about the recoil lugs. Many guys building long range rigs are beginning to remove material off of the face of the action and using a standard Savage/Remington type recoil lug.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    A question that was not asked was about the recoil lugs. Many guys building long range rigs are beginning to remove material off of the face of the action and using a standard Savage/Remington type recoil lug.
    I've been running the standard Axis recoil lug without issue on my 308 build. I permanently bedded it with Devcon into the ProTac Stock, so that it is not much of a factor anymore. I am maintaining consistent sub half MOA accuracy and with 175gr SMK's put an 8 for 8 shot group at 890yds on a 17in diamond plate. I would be interested to see if the cost of doing the T&T to remove the material and use a standard lug would be that much more beneficial!