Thread: bolt lift

nelson34

bolt lift

what can i do to make the bolt lift easier on my rifle? its not real stiff, just not as smooth as others i have seen.

sinman

Re: bolt lift

the best thing to do is if you have the time to wait for it, is to send it to sharp shooter supply and have them time and true your action. Stockade also makes a bolt lift kit that will help too.

louthedog

As Sinman said, a time and true does wonders. Also consider the longer SSS or Stockade bolt handle. Use a light film of grease on the backside of the bolt lugs and cocking ramp. I can cycle the bolt on my timed and trued action with just my index finger. You didn't say if this was a new rifle or not but they do get smoother with use.

tarheellin

I have the opposite problem with a Win.M70 Super Shadow... I have missed getting shots on a couple of nice bucks because the bolt lifts too easy; and, was raised off seat just enough to keep it from firing... By the time I figured out the bolt was cracked up a little, the buck was gone... Two times. > So, the opposite of a stiff bolt, if it's a hunting rifle, is something to consider.

My rifle is in "time out" until I get a 'smith to tighten it up a little.

Lin.

sinman

tarheellin you could put some light chisel marks on your bolt or receiver where the bolt rubs to make it not so smooth.

Basic Member

Quote Originally Posted by sinman
    the best thing to do is if you have the time to wait for it, is to send it to sharp shooter supply and have them time and true your action. Stockade also makes a bolt lift kit that will help too.
    I just got on the SSS time and true calender...They are scheduling for November. I chose Dec. so I could do the fall hunt with my rifle. Call soon and get on board, If you are going to do this.
    Integrity is easier to keep than to regain.

Quote Originally Posted by sparks1
    Quote Originally Posted by sinman
    I just got on the SSS time and true calender...They are scheduling for November. I chose Dec. so I could do the fall hunt with my rifle. Call soon and get on board, If you are going to do this.
    Stockade is faster if you don't want to wait. Spoke to Kevin on Friday and it's a 3 day turn around.
    Kyle
    I might have a few savage rifles.

A 3 day turnaround for a T&T job???

nelson34

it is a used action not sure on the round count though. what is stockade getting for a time & true?

Quote Originally Posted by Carvera
    A 3 day turnaround for a T&T job???
    That's what Kevin stated to me

Quote Originally Posted by nelson34
    it is a used action not sure on the round count though. what is stockade getting for a time & true?
    $150
    Kyle
    I might have a few savage rifles.

Basic Member

Might have to send one of my rifles off to kevin to compare his work with Fred's. That should get an honest review. Only problem is, Im more partial to Fred's work. The 308 barrel he built for me is the most accurate rifle I've laid my hands on. I'll definatly be going back to him for a 6.5x47 barrel in the near future.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

pklin

I seemed to remember Stockade used to list the gunsmithing work and pricing on their website, where did that page go? Thanks.