Thread: Newbie needs a hand with Hog Hunter .223 info

Newbie needs a hand with Hog Hunter .223 info

I'm actually planning to order mine from my local gunshop tomorrow. I am going with the 223 model due to the fact that my shoulder is absolute garbage and even 308 and 7mm-08 recoil can now take its toll on my pretty quickly. With that intro said, my question is regarding surplus ammo in the Hog Hunter? I have seen several sales sites with their add listing the rifle as 223/5.56 and am just wondering if this is their generic oversight or if there is something to this rifle that I don't know about. I had one of the Mossberg MVPs when they first hit the market and they are true 5.56 chambered rifles. Wasn't so sure about the Hog Hunter. Was actually considering sending the .223 out eventually to get a .223 Wylde reaming but want to see how it is going to perform for me first. This rifle may see some hog hunting but will primarily be used for neck shooting does during the culls and as a general varmint/ utility rifle while out working.
    Any thoughts or info is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Doc

thomae
    Read this. http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...39-223-vs-5-56

I know some of the photo links are broken (I've asked the original author of the post to update them if possible), but please read it and then you can make your own decision.
    The .223/5.56 question has been discussed ad nauseum and for whatever reason, seems to cause folks to behave badly.

Caveat emptor...

A LOT of folks that reload 223 for bolt guns run pressures higher than standard 5.56 loads.

I had a 223 Hog Hunter barrel that, with a 75gr HPBT, hit the lands at 2.38". That's a looooooooooooooooong throat.

I appreciate the info so far and am learning quite a bit as I read. I am currently not a reloader but think this rifle may be a motivation for me to start. I like getting out and putting in trigger time whether on the range on in the field. I would love to have the option to run this rifle with surplus ammo and that is the motivation of my questions. I saw a barrel for sale once on an AR building site that mentioned the .223 Wylde and its ability to handle both surplus ammo and .223 well so that's where that question came in.
    From the sound of things, and yes I get that nobody wants to say "Shoot away with the mil-surp stuff", it sounds like I could probably get away with it in a pinch.
    I do think I'm going to start looking into some dies for a .223 and learn myself a thing or two about reloading. It certainly can't hurt due to the economy and the still rising cost of ammo.
    Much appreciated gang. Looking forward to having my Hog Hunter in hand later this week.
    Doc

scubadad
    Quote Originally Posted by recondoc View Post
    I appreciate the info so far and am learning quite a bit as I read. I am currently not a reloader but think this rifle may be a motivation for me to start. I like getting out and putting in trigger time whether on the range on in the field. I would love to have the option to run this rifle with surplus ammo and that is the motivation of my questions. I saw a barrel for sale once on an AR building site that mentioned the .223 Wylde and its ability to handle both surplus ammo and .223 well so that's where that question came in.
    From the sound of things, and yes I get that nobody wants to say "Shoot away with the mil-surp stuff", it sounds like I could probably get away with it in a pinch.
    I do think I'm going to start looking into some dies for a .223 and learn myself a thing or two about reloading. It certainly can't hurt due to the economy and the still rising cost of ammo.
    Much appreciated gang. Looking forward to having my Hog Hunter in hand later this week.
    Doc
    Reloading is fun and you can save money but you will end up shooting more so it all evens out. Before you buy any equipment get the book "the abc,s of reloading" read it cover to cover. If you know anybody that reloads spend a day and learn the ins and outs. (if you are close to sw ohio I can help). If you ask 10 people you will get 20 opinions on the best equipment. I use lee and get sub moa.

wlleven
    Quote Originally Posted by recondoc View Post
    I'm actually planning to order mine from my local gunshop tomorrow. I am going with the 223 model due to the fact that my shoulder is absolute garbage and even 308 and 7mm-08 recoil can now take its toll on my pretty quickly. With that intro said, my question is regarding surplus ammo in the Hog Hunter? I have seen several sales sites with their add listing the rifle as 223/5.56 and am just wondering if this is their generic oversight or if there is something to this rifle that I don't know about. I had one of the Mossberg MVPs when they first hit the market and they are true 5.56 chambered rifles. Wasn't so sure about the Hog Hunter. Was actually considering sending the .223 out eventually to get a .223 Wylde reaming but want to see how it is going to perform for me first. This rifle may see some hog hunting but will primarily be used for neck shooting does during the culls and as a general varmint/ utility rifle while out working.
    Any thoughts or info is appreciated.
    Thanks
    Doc
    If you have been reading my post you know I'm s huge fan of the Hog Hunter, I love the size, the weight of the barrel, the AccuTrigger and the threaded barrel (without the threaded barrel and the addition I doubt I could shoot the hog Hunter, as I too have a bad shoulder)

My uses are a little different than yours, but to tell the truth I have thought of a Hog Hunter in .223 for varmints ;- )

I'm sure you will get some good use out of your gun !

wll