Thread: Yep, another Hog Hunter, and I blame you all for making me buy it

masterblaster

Yep, another Hog Hunter, and I blame you all for making me buy it

Will Post pics in a little bit.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by masterblaster; 11-06-2013 at 10:27 PM.

YOUR WELCOME!

Brian..happy as a hog in....
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

stangfish
    You guys can start an HHA 12 step group anytime now.

masterblaster
    Pics up top, now for the questions. I have the Bobby Hart stock, do the crews fit or do I need longer ones? The trigger guard seems like its plastic has anyone replaced it with a metal one yet?

wlleven
    Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Will Post pics in a little bit.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Ok, I task the blame and I may buy another before Savage catches on that they left money on the table with this one !

wll

Quote Originally Posted by masterblaster View Post
    Pics up top, now for the questions. I have the Bobby Hart stock, do the crews fit or do I need longer ones? The trigger guard seems like its plastic has anyone replaced it with a metal one yet?
    You have the stock, the screws and the gun so you tell us! LOL Metal trigger guard will swap in just fine.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

masterblaster
    Yeah Jay I cant seem to get them in therejust yet, will be checking the pilars in the AM.

If you have the new style plastic trigger guard, you will have to replace it with the old-style metal one to fit the Bobby Hart stock. Stocky's inlets their stocks for the Model 12BVSS- style trigger guards; which means the newer plastic ones are too wide and too thick in the forward section. Midway USA sells these, but they're back ordered until January. Since I can't wait that long to get my build going, I called Savage yesterday and ordered two of the old-style trigger guards for the two new stocks I received this week. They are supposedly on their way; total with two new rear action screws was about $60. By the way, you will need to give them the part #'s, because otherwise the dude on the other end of the phone will be clueless. Imagine that. Part #'s are:
    105417 - blued trigger guard
    105928 - stainless trigger guard
    102993 - Model 12 laminated stock (longer) rear action screw
    *Disclaimer- these part #'s came from Midway USA's site; they may or may not be correct. I'm really hoping they are, or I'm gonna be out $60.
    Your rear action screw may be long enough to engage the threads, but just barely. The slightly longer ones for the Model 12 will work better.

BTW, those Bobby Hart stocks are a work of art. Almost too pretty for a rifle. Almost.

masterblaster
    BN, I happen to have had a stainless trigger guard on hand from earlier projects, it worked with the standard screws. I did order the longer screws to have on hand for when I bed the stock though. The box mag was scraping on the bolt, it was popping up a bit and the angle on the ears where the bolt strips the round was a bit steep, I ground them to a better angle, I also wrapped the box with electrical tape to keep it down in the hole. Mounted a ss 16 x using DNZ, bore sited, stock pack,bipod, and extra leather Springfield sling.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Stang you are a fine one to talk about starting a 12 step program. Nice HH I'd still have mine if they were stainless.

stangfish
    Hey cowboy! Don't you be telling my secrets. I get mine from some guy that's as sick as me.

He has barrel nuitis and there's no cure. But if you are waiting on the current one it'll be a bunch of years if ever.

Berniep
    Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    You guys can start an HHA 12 step group anytime now.
    Lets see
    Step 1: Buy a Hog Hunter
    Step 2: Shoot it
    Step 3: Hunt with it
    Step 4: Repeat
    Im only getting 5 steps there.

wlleven
    Quote Originally Posted by Berniep View Post
    Lets see
    Step 1: Buy a Hog Hunter
    Step 2: Shoot it
    Step 3: Hunt with it
    Step 4: Repeat
    Im only getting 5 steps there.
    Lol, Lol, Lol.

Got to love that Hog Hunter, I may buy another, and just store it away. I'm thinking Savage may have left to much money on the table with this gun, it is a heck of a deal on a good action, Accutrigger, and a threaded barrel. The stock for what it is, is fine IMHO, the fact that it is a blind magazine, is not a big deal to me, as it is a tough simple rifle.

I put a large Cooley muzzle break and a ammo pouch that holds a Bore Snake and never looked back. I plan on shooting 150 gr solid copper projectiles for pig and ?, at ~2850 fps.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it !

wll

dnsmith
    the Hawg Hunter is the good deal that Savages USED to be ...

I've got one in .223 that is a shooter, even in the factory tuppeware. Wouldn't mind adding a .308 to keep it company.

have NO idea who gets the .338 win mag model, but I assume it would be interesting!

masterblaster
    If you hunt bear in Maine you would be able to see the utility in a stubby 338, definitely add a brake though.

Quote Originally Posted by dnsmith View Post
    the Hawg Hunter is the good deal that Savages USED to be ...

I've got one in .223 that is a shooter, even in the factory tuppeware. Wouldn't mind adding a .308 to keep it company.

have NO idea who gets the .338 win mag model, but I assume it would be interesting!