Thread: DIY $15 scope level

Basic Member

DIY $15 scope level

Well, I decided to make this my evening project. I started off with a 3/4" x 2" x 24" piece of oak board. I cut the board into two 6.25" pieces. I marked lines 0.75" from each end and used a square to draw the line across. I also marked up with the center of the boards. I found the center and made a mark 0.25" above and below the center point and 0.50" left and right of the center point.

I used my drill press and a 17/64" drill bit and drilled the center point on top and bottom of the boards ensuring that they meet up. I bought 1/4" x5" all thread bolts, 2 flat washers, and wing nuts from Lowes.

I then used a 1/2" Forsner bit to drill out the center hole. I also used it to countersink the holes on the top of a board.

A little jigsaw and dremel time and I cut out the center angles

I sanded off the lines and rounded the corners on the boards

Finally, I used epoxy to secure the bolts in the countersunk holes. I also used epoxy to secure the aluminum cased line level from Lowes to the top board. I used some spray glue to secure felt between the 2 boards. Now, all I have to do is place a second level on the scope mount and then use the wing nuts to secure the leveler to the barrel. Once the leveler is secured, I can attach my scope mounts and scope and then use the level on the scope cap. Level the rifle, level the scope, and the reticle should be level as well.

stangfish
    Good stuff brother.

Looks cool! I am a bone head sometimes though; can you explain how it all works? Since the barrel is round, I'm guessing you level the "action" first? Once that is level, you put the "leveler" you made on the barrel?

I had problems leveling my first mount; specifically I had problems getting the recticle level with the gun. I ended up buying a scope level kit (not the "Level, Level, Level kit, but similar.) One of the levels has two small magnets on its adjustable bottom. this can fit various places on the action; on my 110 it sits well on the flats after the bolt is removed. The action being level then, the other level sits atop the elevation turret- turret cap off. The idea being if the action is level, even if the mounts are slightly off, the recticle / scope will be level with the action. (My 110's mounting holes are off slightly- gave me fits!! till I found out what was happening).

Anyway- very nice device! If you can explain what is probably obvious to everyone else, I'd be thanking you.

Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!

Basic Member
    that is essentially what is happening. place a level on your rifle be it the tang, the rear on a flat back action, or if you want the scope mount. adjust the rifle so that it is level. then place the thing i made on the barrel, adjust it so it is level as well, then tighten the wing nuts. it is then secured to the barrel. I know that when i mount rings or whatever the rifle always shifts. this doesn't fall off so it remains a constant reference to whether the rifle is level when you mount the scope. just place the level that you initially used to level the rifle on top of the scope cap, level the scope while the rifle is still level, and you should be good to go.

AHHH! (lightbulb goes on, sound of bacon sizzeling starts to diminish...) thank you for that! I love to learn how things work- but my mechanical aptitude brain wiring often short circuits. Thanks and again- cool device!
    Brian
    Learning something new, experiencing something new and sharing the journey are reason enough to get out of bed each day!