Thread: 10 FCP-K..Varget...168 SMK

10 FCP-K..Varget...168 SMK

Just got my 10 FCP-K in.
    Im looking for loads that you guys have develop,d for this specific rifle using Varget and 168 SMK,s.
    Ive seen post before...but if you wouldnt mind,,,refresh my memory.
    Thanks guys
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

Ackevor
    You can ignore what I'm about to say if you want but getting load info from others, even if they are the same model, barrel, bipod, scope, rings, etc etc... may not yeild good results as the rifle will behave different. If may get you a decent load and you may be happy with it. IMHO, best thing to do is a Ladder or OCW test to find what "your" rifle likes best by harmonically tuning the powder to your rifle, so long as all other variables remain constant (Seated Depth, primer, bullet, case).

If your just looking for a load that gets you to about an inch @ 100yds then ignore me ;-)
    Last edited by Ackevor; 11-08-2013 at 11:37 PM.

Basic Member
    SMK 168 42.50 3.2020 0.0300

here is what I have with federal brass and cci200 primers. measured with the hornady lock and load comparator. Your going to have to check your seating length though since the throat may be different on yours. This load has gotten me 0.25 MOA now if I could just make 5 groups in a row like that.....

Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post

here is what I have with federal brass and cci200 primers. measured with the hornady lock and load comparator. Your going to have to check your seating length though since the throat may be different on yours. This load has gotten me 0.25 MOA now if I could just make 5 groups in a row like that.....
    thanks.....I knew you,d chime in......I couldnt remember if it was 42.5 or 43.5.......It will at least give me a starting point on my load development. You wouldnt happen to know your speeds do you?
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    My ballistics program is showing 2913 but that can't be right. I would expect that to be in the 2700's

stangfish
    My sweet spot for short range is 41 and long range is 44.

My ballistics program is showing 2913 but that can't be right. I would expect that to be in the 2700's
    I agree.....thats does sound too fast for that charge weight.
    {John Wayne}

Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    Interesting......so youve found 2 sweet spots......
    Ive done the same with RL-15 and 150 SMK,s but not with Varget & 168,s (yet)
    Do you happen to remember your speeds?
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    I picked up a pound of imr 4064 today I'm might load some later this week they actually had an 8# but my wife would kill me right now! They had 30 1# of Varget but no 8#

I use 42.5 grains of Varget in the Federal case with the 168 SMK as well. My high power node is 45,5 grains of Varget in a Winchester case with the 168 SMK. I was surprised when I shot my buddies load of 44 grains of IMR 4064 pushing the 175 SMK new Nosler brass and CCI benchrest primer at 2700+ and is very accurate but the recoil is more noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by DanSavage View Post
    I use 42.5 grains of Varget in the Federal case with the 168 SMK as well. My high power node is 45,5 grains of Varget in a Winchester case with the 168 SMK. I was surprised when I shot my buddies load of 44 grains of IMR 4064 pushing the 175 SMK new Nosler brass and CCI benchrest primer at 2700+ and is very accurate but the recoil is more noticeable.
    great info.....Im gonna be using a 20moa base so Im not gonna mind tossing the rds out slower for the 168,s.
    Ive got about 400 175,s laying around just begging to be loaded, but id much rather avoid the 175,s recoil...
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member
    I am pretty much on the 175 I won't buy any more 168 when I run out. I don't notice any difference in the recoil between the two. The 175 just works better in the wind and long distance. I still really want to try the Palma 155 since they have almost the same BC and can pick up a few fps.

stangfish
    I wish we would have had this conversation sooner. I ordered 500 155 palmas Friday. I think delivered it was 132. I could have ordered another 1500.

Sorry eddie. Don't have a chrono. Vertical dispersion when testing @300 is all I currently have.

WEll...truth be known.....my Savage 10 FCP-HS with a 24" 11.25 twist is sending the 150 smk,s out to 1K with consistancy and accuracy. I purchased the model K for the sole purpose of using heavier pills.....not that I really needed to because im already doing it with the lighter 150,s but because I wanted to and had money burning a hole in my pocket.......besides......I dont smoke....dont drink.....dont pull all nighters (anymore)....what the hell else Im i supposed to do???????
    {John Wayne}

I am pretty much on the 175 I won't buy any more 168 when I run out. I don't notice any difference in the recoil between the two. The 175 just works better in the wind and long distance. I still really want to try the Palma 155 since they have almost the same BC and can pick up a few fps.
    I was affraid you were gonna say that lolo
    Ive got about 500 168,s laying around and about 400 175s.....I start with the 168,s and take it from there. One of my gas guns really did well with the 175,s, but there too inconsistant so i sold it off. Just cant compare gas guns to bolt guns.
    {John Wayne}

Quote Originally Posted by stangfish View Post
    \Same here except using Rel.15 and 168 bullet. Every barrel will be a little different of course.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy IMR 4064, Varget, Rel 15 for .308 in large quantities because I know they will work and they will work well in other calibers that I shoot. There are many other powders that work well too.

Basic Member
    The 168 did well for me. It was just really stretching the legs pushing 1000 the 175 did the trick. I'm at 800 ft elevation and have the wind all the time.

Stang- that's a dang good price on the Palma bullets. I need to get past the Christmas hemorrhage before I spend more on gun stuff! I had a hard time walking away from that 8# of 4064 today! I need to order powder, primers, Palma bullets, 55 gr sierra blitz kings.

I don't have a chrono either, just bullet drop. One of these days a magneto speed may be in order.
    Last edited by missed; 11-09-2013 at 08:43 PM.

I couldnt live without my Chronograph. Its made all the difference knowing whats doing what with all variables in consideration.
    Its made me shoot smarter. Taking the guess out of drop but keeping a constant train of though on the wind.
    About 4 weeks ago I shot at a local range and found myself shooting against 6.5 and 7mm shooters with rigs that range from 4-5K. Real nice gents. It made my day when I was able to pull up to the line with my stock Savage 10 FCP-HS 24" 11:25 twist and my Tactical BSA 6-24-44 scope and 150 smk,s and accomplish what they were accomplishing out to 1K. these boys had holding rigs/fixtures holding there rifles stable, I had a Harris at the frt and my hand under the butt stock for elevation adjustment. In there defense....they were up there in age and they may have lost the stablitly, that of which, I respect....I will be there soon.
    {John Wayne}

Basic Member

Ditto for my fcp-k, If your's does not shot this load, pm me I have another load with 4350 that works great in mine. The fcp-k in 308 seems to shot pretty good with just about any load.
    Retired sniper. You can run, But you will only die tired!!!