Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: High cost of shooting, what are you doing?

finebead

High cost of shooting, what are you doing?

Hi, I used to shoot a lot when my 2 sons were teens, but they are both in their 20's now and not around much. We used to go shooting 2 or 3 times a month at a nice range here in Houston, now I go 3 or 4 times a year. I shoot a Sav. 12BVSS .223 and some 9mm pistol

Last time I went I took my son in law and daughter, $15 per person to get on the line, that's $45. I shot 2 boxes on 9mm, another 20. SIL shot a Taurus Judge with .410, had to be another 20, and some .45 LC, add 20. That's about $100! The price alone is causing me to be hesitant to go out again.

What are you guys doing?

I hung out here before the registrations were reset in 2010, probably been around here for 10 years.

Basic Member
    Mostly hanging out here shooting with the keyboard....
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    I have a piece of dirt here in Fla. with a clear 600yds under the power lines if you want to come by.

But you have to bring your own ammo.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

Quote Originally Posted by fgw_in_fla View Post
    I have a piece of dirt here in Fla. with a clear 600yds under the power lines if you want to come by.

But you have to bring your own ammo.
    Do you have a 1k yard range?
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

The range I shoot at is about 20 minutes away and free. Its' run by the DNR. It's a nice range, well kept and has four ranges; 25, 50, 100, and 200 yards.
    As for ammo I reload, which isn't so cheap anymore.

Basic Member
    Right where I Always Need To Be. Usually...
    I don't know of a 1000 yd range in Florida. Heck, you can't even hunt over 200yds without the jungle getting in the way. We have high voltage power line along the west side of out property. Since the power company maintains it, it's pretty cleared out for shooting. I use the base of the tower for a target. It make a very distinct *PING* when hit with a 165gr Nosler.
    Last edited by fgw_in_fla; 12-06-2013 at 07:10 AM.
    'Scuse me while I whip this out...!

davemuzz
    I belong to a local gun club, about 20 minute drive. Rifle range is 25, 50, 100, 200, and 300yds. Lots of pistol ranges, trap, skeet, and it's only $70 a year. It's $3.5 a round to shoot trap\skeet for the clay cost. We also have a great indoor range that has a modern vent system and is heated in the winter. http://www.pmsconline.com

Dave

Basic Member
    I have access to a ranch that we have built up to 500 yard and soon as we get some time were going to set up for 1000 yards. Ammo I reload and that helps with the cost and I shoot calibers that are a bit more wallet friendly.

davemuzz
    Oh yeah….reload, reload, reload. Factory is outta the question if your going to shoot a pile of bullets. Lead bullets are great for just plinking from a revolver. I try to get blem's in bulk for piles of paper shooting or groundhog hunting with rifle. You hit a G-Hog with a 140gr outta a MV better than 2700fps and it really doesn't matter if the bullet is a varmint tip, or a competition structure. They both will pretty much cut 'em in half. The varmint tip will just explode 'em even more. But…well….dead is dead. For film spectacular dead is better I guess. But I don't film….so cheap will do.

Dave

finebead
    I reload the .223, and I still have components (all of them). 9MM I didn't reload because I could always buy them for $5 a box of 50. I reload .38 spl. for a revolver I have, I have a bunch of swagged lead bullets, so I'm good there. Mostly the 9mm that would kill me.

I don't shoot as much as I use to. But when the urge hits me I go there are worst ways to spend your money. I just suck it up and shoot the stuff I hoarded for years. Just going to be a ***** to replace anytime soon.

My range fee for the year is $40, rifle goes to 200 yd,pistol goes to 50yd. I reload for everything and when I buy supplies ,if I can find what I'm after,I buy 2.I shoot just about every weekend,weather and work permitting.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Basic Member
    well its not the cost of shooting being the problem. its the cost of everything else which causes things like shooting
    to be viewed with a different outlook. gas is now what it is and we need gas more than bullets. thats just the tip of the iceberg.

Basic Member
    I just try to miss less, saves bullets.
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

Basic Member
    Throw rocks....bow and arrow....

Basic Member
    I live in PA we have free ranges out to 300 yards run by the state and i belong to the williamsport 1000 yard club its $60 a year

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim300wsm View Post
    I live in PA we have free ranges out to 300 yards run by the state and i belong to the williamsport 1000 yard club its $60 a year
    check out ridgeway tim. its about half that per year and its a nicer place to shoot. pull up the website and take a look.

hombre243
    My local club charges $75 a year for seniors. It has walled pistol all the way up to 600 yard rifle. Main rifle range is partially enclosed and there is usually a free bench. Nice layout. On the other range across the river, the range has only a weekend RO. During the week...the local stupids come out and blow the legs off the target stands and trash the range. I donate to the Conservation dept and when I can I help cleanup. I usually shoot at that range...it has no user fees. Maybe they should start charging...imho.

I have to renew at the club. I shoot there most when my dues are current. Once in a while I knock off some woodsy critters for dinner. If it's late enuf in the day I pop a coon and it's coon and homemade noodles for supper. To me...thats what shooting is all about: extracting something pleasurable out of the experience of the day whether it is target shooting, plinking or hunting.

6x47L Shooter
    I've always been into airguns, and that has been my main shooting interest lately. Trouble is, although pellets are relatively inexpensive and available, a quality airgun can easily set you back much more than a firearm on initial cost plus peripheral equipment. If you fill your own CF HP air tanks (4500psi) that will set you back about a grand!
    We have more fun using air rifles for taking out ground squirrels up to 100 yards than with firearms. Much quieter also!
    Here's my .25 Cricket!

Basic Member
    I pretty much safely shoot where I want..usually fur on the other end...couple of buddies set a range with steel targets out to 1K yds...the wind is tricky across the three different canyons...my heavy 6XC & 6.5x55 get used there often....no range fees....I stocked up on components before Obama1...so that isn't a real issue...22LR is another story.....down to 6K rds now...getting concerned..you have to wonder where or who is getting all that is produced...
    S/shot Savage & heavy Pac Nor's rock !! 'JM' Marlin lever gun nut !

Basic Member
    I have a fair amount of private timber land, DNR and National Forest land pretty close, so finding a location to shoot out beyond 1000 yards isn't very hard. Reloading is the best way to save money, but it's not quite as good as it used to be. The component cost is getting up there were it's still pretty pricey to go shooting for a day.

I found myself moving to some smaller calibers to cut down on cost. Instead of shooting the 300 WSM at longer ranges I'll shoot the 6mm BR. I don't shoot the 338's or the 375 BME as much either just because of the cost and availability of powder. Most powder is going for around $34 a pound around here and the 375 only gets 62 loads per pound. Not to mention the cost and availability of 338 and 375 bullets. I built a 284 Win to work as my ""heavy" gun for long range plinking.

I used to take my kids out with the 22s once a month. We would go through 500 rounds easy each time. Now I need to really watch how much they shoot just because I'm running low on 22 ammo. It's getting easier to find, but it's never going to be as cheap as it used to be!

Andrew

Basic Member
    I shoot more now than I ever have. 2-300 45acp every weekend. 150-200 308win. every weekend.

Did I mention I make all of my own bullets?

Quote Originally Posted by missed View Post
    I have access to a ranch that we have built up to 500 yard and soon as we get some time were going to set up for 1000 yards. Ammo I reload and that helps with the cost and I shoot calibers that are a bit more wallet friendly.
    missed, I don't know where Tolar is, but give me a shout when the 1k range is ready and I might just make the drive.

Dennis
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]

Basic Member
    Were southwest of fort worth by a bout an hour. Tacpro that is in our area has a 1k range also. hopefully after deer season calms down and the year end horse shows do we can get back to it. I just got back from the world show and the guys that own the ranch are leaving for the show today.

JCalhoun
    We have 1000y F-Class at Pascagoula, MS (Moss Point actually) but I'm usually at work on those days.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast